Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, i'm in Dallas visiting my parents and a friend of my mom said that a lady at her church has a daughter learning how to groom, mostly self taught but she just got a grooming job at a small local salon but they want her to have so many practice "hands on" grooms before actually working on commission. So she still gets paid but it's pretty much all from tips while she's training.

I was asked if I would let her groom Vega and possibly even Dodger to help her out as they rarely see Standard Poodles let alone someone to let a girl "practice" on them. Well..i'm not picky, and my dogs were about to get groomed anyway so I let her! Dodger is scheduled to go in later today but she did Vega this evening.

While I don't LOVE it i think she did a great job! She did much better then I was doing when I first started. I gave her free reign but i did tell her I liked the legs fluffy and did not want an all over cut, i told her to do whatever she wanted with his top knot..she gave him a MOHAWK. lol!!

I never would have done this to him in a million years, but it looks so cute and I love how she did the whole Mr. T style hawk instead of a skinny short line. It almost reminds me of a modified pony-doodle style top knot the way it goes a bit further down the back.

All in all im happy with it, i think she did a great job and If she is doing this kind of work already I can't wait to see what she can do in a few years.

Unfortunately she didn't have time to do his feet, and anybody can do poodle feet so I told her to just work on his body and she did a good job.

I definitely tipped her well for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I like it a lot!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I liked that she took a little bit of a risk doing a mohawk, as some owners would flip out but I think it's a good quality to have as a groomer, it generally means you're always willing to learn something new and even think outside the box.

She also noticed he had a previous lamb cut pattern so she assumed that's what I liked to keep him in. The only different is she didn't do any blending so its more like a town and country i think, but i like it a lot. I think with that short of a body it almost looks better unblended, but who knows I might blend it myself and see how it looks.

She did a 5 blade on his body and he's never been that short before but I do like it and considered doing that myself eventually.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am so impressed. She is very obviously a natural at grooming. My hat is off to you for letting her try her hand at him. She has a very creative eye. I hope somehow you can pass some of these compliments on to her. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Actually, I think he looks great like that! :) For some reason it seems to suit him well. I agree that doing a mohawk was a serious risk, but you did say do whatever... LOL.. hmmmm, maybe you might be careful what groomer you say that too.... LOL. Seriously, I think he looks handsome like that, and I am not one who usually cares for shaved ears and such, but the whole head/neck clipping flows, and I think that is why it works so well. I also love the body trim a lot.

Great job, kudos to her!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
for a beginner groomer she did a really great job :D
it looks like one of those allusive "manly" poodle cuts that so many people want there poodles in
its very cute ^_^

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Wow, I think he looks REALLY good o_o She did a great job on him! The cut looks great with his body shape and color! Though I would try blending the legs like you said to see how it looks.

Aren't standards just SO fun to groom?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Great job, that looks fantastic

I can't wait until I feel brave enough to try a trim oneday lol

But first I need the right equipment and to learn how to do it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts