Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a metal comb to go over a blade to clip Riley. Fine and dandy! Came today (with new scissors!). Well, i forgot that i dont have a 30 blade to actually go under it. :doh: I have a 40, but i heard it eats combs. I have a 30 on my wahl arco (which i would sell my soul for again!), but a comb wont fit on that blade type. I guess im going to have to go buy an expensive one from a store instead of adding it to my order and getting a great deal through petedge. *sigh*

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Arrrrhhh, hate it when that happens!! So sorry. Hope the 30 doesn't cost tooo much. Good for you though not just slapping it over your 40 blade anyway, though it'd probably be ok just once or twice. Would be a shame to lose a 40 to it. I remember when they first came out with the nice metal ones, a couple of girls I worked with ordered them asap. I held off to see how well they worked and I'm kind of in love with my pink plastic ones rofl. Anywho, 4 or 5 40 blades later they figured out to put them on a 30 LoL. Bummer, there were some pretty ticked off groomers in the shop for a while there.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
oh, the 40 doesn't eat combs, the combs eat 40 blades. lol! But yeah, any regular 30 blade is fine, you can probably find somewhere that does them cheap though, they are one of the cheaper blades!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sorry to jump in but since I am a TOTAL ignoramus regarding clippers - can somebody tell me what are actual parts of the "machine" LOL

I suppose "blade" is sharp part that actually "cuts" while going "left and right" (guessing this LOL) and "comb" is metal little peace that is visible on the tip of the clipper - like a tiny metal comb ???:rolffleyes:

Thanks in advance :) LOL and please keep in mind that I never held a clipper in my hand :redface: Just trying to follow this thread and learn something ...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The blade is the metal part that cuts and has the teeth that go back and forth to achieve said cutting.

The comb is an attachment that goes over the blade to achieve a longer length. Ever see a man have his hair cut?? The comb attachment goes over the blade and achieves whatever length the man desires since hairdressers don't really use but one size blade I think?? which is equal to a groomer's 40 blade.

The comb can be metal or plastic. In a groomer's world the blades come in different lenghs and pop and and off the clippers (interchangeable) The combs ONLY go on the shortest of blade, 30, 40, or 50... though I don't personally own a 50 blade I don't think.

To give you some perspective, a 40 or 50 blade is what a vet uses to shave an area bald before surgery. You could in fact shave your own legs with a 40 blade... but uhhh don't - you'll get razor burn I promise! LoL. It's about equal though to using an electric shaver made for that purpose, not totally smooth but close enough. Not worth the razor burn though either way ROFL

since I still had this website pulled up here are some links to photos
Clipper blade - these snap on and off the clipper a 10 o 15 blade is about the length that a lot of pet groomers use on the average poodle face. 30/40 is about the length that alot of people use for show dogs.
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=2DXDW3BVVDGC9LV49MB6G3FAE4FG1QJ6&pf_id=0028160

Clipper comb/gaurd comb/comb attachment pick the name you prefer - these fit OVER the blade
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=2DXDW3BVVDGC9LV49MB6G3FAE4FG1QJ6&pf_id=0030274

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
THANKS !!!!!!:rose:

I was completely off :doh: LOL

I cut my husbands hair and my daughters too - ; ))), and I use only scissors because they want it layered and different lengths in different parts LOL I became very good at cutting "human hair" LOL, sometimes do my Sis or a friend - even did some perms for my friends LMAO BUT to come to the original question ; )

- now that I know and understand parts - what those different numbers mean - 40, 30, 20 and so forth ??? :rolffleyes:

Thanks again for finding time to inform me

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Blades: http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3762440t400.jpg (under side, many of these aren't used much, just an idea of the range of sizes etc! TShis also gives an idea of what the numbers mean too...)
http://clipperbladesharpening.webs.com/oil.gif (top view)

[snap on] combs:
http://www.sevenblessingsanimalsanctuary.org/snap_on_combs (plastic ones, which are crap)
plastic one with blade on it: http://photos.oes.org/albums/userpics/10002/Comb-On-Oster-10-Blade_4182.jpg

and metal ones:http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/530b5edcdc5695a7ee21428584a5f38a.jpg

The numbers are just different lengths. You know how you hear about people getting a "#1" [buzz cut/very short] well it's like that, but opposite way around (low numbers are LONG for dogs, high numbers are the SHORT blades)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
OH - we posted at the same time : ))) !!!!

I will go and check those links ASAP !!!!!!

THANKS A BUNCH GIRLS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I did it : ))))) !!!! Those links were fantastic !!! Now I "know parts" - yeaaayyyy !!!!

Oh boy - it is actually the whole science !!!! So many different blades !!?!!! - sizes and even shapes !

Maybe I should buy one clipper and start practicing on my hubby LOL - he has a curly hair anyway ; ))))

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I don't use the different shaped ones, they're a pain. The lil ones are designed for little toes and fine patterns, the wide ones are good for horses, but I only use the normal ones!!! There are more sizes than shown too, those are just that paticular brand...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh OK ! LOL I was wondering for what are those tiny-tiny ones - must be for some toy fancy breed ; )))

If I want my spoo to look like this

What blade/combo would be best - or maybe he is scissored all over :rolffleyes: ??? (except face and feet , of course)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
yeah thats scissored all over.

In most cases the longest gaurd comb is 1 inch. They do make longer ones but they don't come in a standard set usually. I have them, and almost never even attempt to use them. The longer you leave the hair via a comb attachment the choppier the clip usually is so you end up scissoring the whole thing anyway if that makes sense.

In theory, I think you *could* use a comb attachment on that dog's rear end where the hair is shorter. B/c he is at such an angle it's a bit hard to see it. Then scissor the jacket and legs and blend everything in. When I did the puppy lion and english saddle clips on Jazz I used a comb on the short part of her rear and then scissored to blend into the legs. I wasn't going for a show length, not that she had enough hair for it anyway lol.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
OH my LOL

I guess it is good that I practiced "scissoring" on my family and friends for so many years :rofl:

This length would ask for once a week through comb - wouldn't it :rolffleyes: ?
But I guess with only one poodle it would not be a major task :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
OH my LOL

This length would ask for once a week through comb - wouldn't it :rolffleyes: ?
But I guess with only one poodle it would not be a major task :rolffleyes:
I think this length would require more than once a week brushing/coming. It depends on how much your dog will go outside and play with other dogs. ;) In my case it would require a daily brushing. I actually enjoy the process and my spoos get brushed every other day and my Havanese every day, unless they do a number on his coat and then it's twice a day. lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I think this length would require more than once a week brushing/coming. It depends on how much your dog will go outside and play with other dogs. ;) In my case it would require a daily brushing. I actually enjoy the process and my spoos get brushed every other day and my Havanese every day, unless they do a number on his coat and then it's twice a day. lol
I'd have to agree unless you were blessed with one of those types of coat like Jazz has that pretty much never gets matted. You'll be combing that length, several times a week. I wouldn't dare put Saleen in something like that right now. She'd be a mess in no time flat lol.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Uh-ooooohh LOL I might as well than have a "show coat" LMAO I will have to "modify " than ;) !!! BUT I love it so much that maybe I can find time to brush my "Barby-poodle" once a day :) !!!!

Poodle Lover - how much time it takes you to brush one spoo ? : ))

Thanks all for help and I want to give special apology for hijacking this thread
: ((((

I hope that info about combs and blades was useful to you too BIGpoodleperson ?!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really??!! That would be great!

No problem Wishpoo! I love when threads take a turn! I think im ok for the most part on the workings of clippers/blades though. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
You could go to Petsmart or Petco and pick up a #30...i needed to in a pinch and it was only around $20 to $30ish i think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts