Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Phoebe Duck spoo, Frannie Jane pitt mix
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoebe Duck will be 12 weeks tomorrow. Every morning this week, I've loaded her up and driven the 1/2 mile to the small elementary in town. I could walk it, but I want her to get used to riding in the car. We park in an empty lot, cross the street, and circle the school once. We've met someone or something new to her everyday.

So this morning, we were on our last leg of the walk, the car was at the other end of the block, and I saw an empty bottle someone had tossed in the grass. Picked it up. There's a garbage can not too far away and I figure it'll be good to break up the walk by going in an unexpected direction. Little Miss Sass did not agree.

"Hey, mom! That's not the right way! Mom! The car is over there! Here, mom! I'll show you. See mom?! See?!? There! It's right there! That big blue thing over there? We're supposed to go that way!! Mom!!! ARE YOU BLIND!?! YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!"

We finally toss the bottle away, get to the car, and she hops right in. (First time she's done that!) And yips at me again. I get in, start the car, and she proceeds to question my mental abilities. Tells me exactly what she thought of the extra 1/2 block I made her walk. She was not happy, don't I know? So. I got told. 馃槀

Does the teenage stage start early?? 馃ぃ

Premium Member
Sounds like you have a Sophy on your hands! Have you yet had the deep sigh, eyes cast up to heaven, followed by "I told you so!" when you eventually let her show you the right way?!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have a Sophy on your hands! Have you yet had the deep sigh, eyes cast up to heaven, followed by "I told you so!" when you eventually let her show you the right way?!
Not yet. This is the first time she's given me sass like that. It's only the 5th walk! Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All changes in the route must be preapproved by the poodle.

And for goodness sakes, sing the right songs in the car.
The appropriate forms must be submitted at least 72 hrs in advance, in triplicate, and receive the Bark of Approval prior to the walker's initiating any changes. (I was given the fine print this morning. 馃槈)

Omg. She doesn't know about the car radio yet. What happens if you get the song/station wrong?!?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And when that neighbor changes something in their front lawn, lookout! "Warning (bark) Warning (bark) Warning (bark)!"
DH says that's acceptable. As long as there's a reason for the barking and she isn't like our neighbor's dogs that just go outside and bark because they're bored.

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
I keep reading this as "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!!"
Funny! I almost wrote that!
A month or so ago, some neighbors down the street planted 8 hydrangea shrubs in their front lawn along the sidewalk. We were on our way home from a walk just after dark for the first time after they were planted. About 30 yards before we got to them Elroy stopped in his tracks and wouldn't proceed. He started barking at them in a sort of confused sounding bark. At first I didn't know what he was barking at; it was dark and the shrubs weren't standing out to me. It then occurred to me it was the new (don't belong there) shrubs he was barking at. He finally let me proceed after I reassured him it was OK. So funny馃ぃ馃檮! They get used to what's supposed to be there, and when something is out of order, they do indeed notice! Woof!
Now these shrubs are on his regular visit list.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny! I almost wrote that!
A month or so ago, some neighbors down the street planted 8 hydrangea shrubs in their front lawn along the sidewalk. We were on our way home from a walk just after dark for the first time after they were planted. About 30 yards before we got to them Elroy stopped in his tracks and wouldn't proceed. He started barking at them in a sort of confused sounding bark. At first I didn't know what he was barking at; it was dark and the shrubs weren't standing out to me. It then occurred to me it was the new (don't belong there) shrubs he was barking at. He finally let me proceed after I reassured him it was OK. So funny馃ぃ馃檮! They get used to what's supposed to be there, and when something is out of order, they do indeed notice! Woof!
Now these shrubs are on his regular visit list.
Tues, one of the houses across from the school had a guy outside that wasn't outside on Monday. She gave him a look. Weds, the guy was there with a med sized dog. She gave that guy and his dog a hard look. Today, no guy, no dog. She stopped and stared for a good bit before she was satisfied no one new was going to show up today.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When the Halloween decorations go up in the neighbourhood be prepared to walk a very upset poodle and shortly thereafter, followed up by, the horrendous Christmas decorations 馃槀
That's right about when she'll be hitting 6 months old. Teenager. Oh. Boy.

<whimper>

Registered
One of my favorite things about having worked with first graders is how organized and scheduled they are. The slightest deviation (even a few extra minutes of recess!) gets them all looking at the clock and letting me know there鈥檚 no room in the itinerary. There鈥檚 no panic. They just always know what needs to be done and when it needs to happen. Your post reminds me of them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So this morning, because apparently I like messing with her, I started the walk around the elementary going in reverse. Instead of going south, and turning left (east) at the end of the block, we went east immediately, then turned south. It was a very slooooow first block and a half until she caught on. So I decided that since she's on to what I'm doing, I'll change the route again. Crossed the street instead of making the last turn and went onto Main St. One of the businesses we passed was the local hardware store she's been to twice. She went to their door and grunt/whined because they were closed and she didn't like that. Total trip was 1/2 mile. And she barked at me again for the extra couple blocks. She's a bossy little thing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts