Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how my SIL is going to react if she finds out, but hey my brother gave me the go ahead!! They were a pair of Oysters and I was super nervous, but Dutch seemed to do pretty well!! I need to go back and finish him up tomorrow. How does everyone get the face done with them moving so much? He didnt move like I expected him to , but he still did move to where me a first timer was scared. For those of you without grooming stations what are your tips? I did notice the clippers were getting warm pretty fast so I am going to have to watch that. He did REALLY well on the feet considering there were 4 other dogs running around. I am proud of myself and my little "gray ass"!! That is what I call him!! His butt is starting to turn colors!! So funny, he looks and acts liek an old soul!! Sorry so long!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You need to get a coolant spray for the blade if you are going to clip him yourself.
When you're doing the face, don't point the blade towards the eye, clip from the eye down towards the nose - make sense? This way if he moves, as he will because he's a baby :), you won't poke him in the eye ball. As far as getting him to hold still.... It just takes practice. I don't have any real tips that I can explain well. I might try and clip him when he is a little tired and away from the other dogs. Just pull him aside in a spare room for a minute or put the other dogs outside or in another room while you make him pretty :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we eventually made the dogs go outside!! Without the use of a grooming table what would you suggest? getting on the floor with him or setting him on a table? I am sooooo excited I got to play with clippers!! oh, no!! I see myself getting clipper happy!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I find a table is much better. On the floor could be play time but if you set aside one place on a table and that is where grooming happens he will come to learn that it is business not play when he is there. Much easier on your back too LOL.

Just make sure it is non slip.

There are lots of tips somewhere else on here, another thread or two, perhaps if you do a search on puppy clipping. I had a hard time with T but we're slowly improving.

Osters are a reknown for getting hot fast so do be careful. Oiling the blades as you work and keeping them hair free by brushing it away regularly will also help. I have heard people say they put their blades on a ceramic tile which helps to cool them faster. Some people say spraying that coolant/lubricant will warp your blades if they are hot and blunt them faster - if you do a google search there is heaps of info on looking after your clippers and blades.

Seriously I recommend getting a nice small cordless clipper. You will love it. Much lighter, easier to manouveur and don't heat up as quickly. T was much better with the Moser Arco's I bought than the Wahl corded I was using.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thats great that you enjoyed the clipping experience. Its fun after you get comfortable. Shoot last week I thought maybe I'll but Eli in a lion cut and start groeing that out. Now Im thinking maybe I'll try another easy maintenance cut. After all I will be focusing my grooming on Sting here very soon.

I use the clipper cooling spray. Its designed to cool, lubricate and clean the blade. I happen to like it so far and haven't noticed my blades dulling yet. If you have a cuttlery store in your area they may supply the cooling spray. Oh I actualy think I saw the Andis spray at Petmart. Anyhow, good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts