Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me as to why my 6 spoo is all of the sudden so fidgety? It’s like he can’t settle like he use too. What could b the cause of him being so restless? He gets a 20 minute jog/walk morning and evening plus play time. Should I extend the exercise time? Growth spurt? I have chew sticks that I have him chew after play to help calm him down but seems like nothing works. He’s not in pain anything like that. Am I missing something? He also will only eat off of a spoon. What is my life coming too? 🤦🏻‍♀️ Teddy is slowly taking over my life. My day is him. I have 3 kids that r schooling from home starting Monday 😳 so I need to get this figured out.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
The simplest answer is that adolescents sleep less. He is naturally going to have more daily awake hours as he gets older. But enforced naps are still important.

What would you like Teddy to do when it's time to settle? Where would you like him to go and for how long?

Once you've got the answers to these questions, you can communicate your expectations to Teddy.

But keep in mind that he's going to be more work for the next year or so, and demand more of your time, not less. Adolescence can be rough, but you'll start seeing some good progress, too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had him on the same schedule for so long seems wrong to change it 🤔 seems silly I’m sure. But maybe I need to rearrange it cause it’s not working. Especially with kids starting school. Should I extend exercise to 30 minutes instead of 20? Think he needs more? I wanna do it right ☺

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
That's really tough to say without knowing what his schedule currently looks like. But teen Teddy and toddler Teddy are definitely going to have different physical and mental needs, so be ready to adapt as necessary.

I like to mix and match physical and mental exercise depending on the day. Some days adolescent Peggy's a monster, other days she's chill. So I have to be flexible.

I'll give you today as an example of a chill day:

Today Peggy napped in front of the TV until noon (with two short leashed potty breaks), then spent an hour tethered out front while we gardened. I brought the clicker and treats with me, so I could mix in some training and work on her manners with the neighbours. Then inside for lunch, followed by another nap.

When she started getting restless, I did 5 minutes of indoor clicker training, a 5-minute sniffy potty walk, and I've just put her in her indoor exercise pen to snooze while I clean the kitchen and make dinner.

She'll eat dinner around 6 then digest for an hour while we eat ours. Then it's out to the backyard for training, play, and zoomies. Quiet time is always at 8pm. If she can't settle, she goes in her pen. Crate time is usually around 10:30.

On other days we mix in gentle hikes, sniffy walks downtown, play sessions with friends, lots of fetch, training classes, etc. But the daily rhythm is always stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds about what our day is like minus gardening 😬 no green thumbs. Not totally sure what our new schedule will b with school starting. I guess I can see he’s changing and school is starting and I’m like AH! I will figure it out. I’m pre-fretting 😬 which is half of my posts 🤣

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Pre-fretting is good! It's just planning. :)

With time you'll start to figure out when Teddy needs physical exercise, when he needs mental exercise, when he needs to better understand what's expected of him, and when he just plain needs a nap. The signs of all these things can overlap a maddening amount, so be patient.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those big paws keep getting on everything. He just does it cause he can. He’s like look at this! What’s up here? Or I’m chopping veggies and turn boom there he his! It’s semi funny but needs to stop. I’m texting he wakes up from deep sleep comes and plops on my feet. He knows I’m talking about him 😂

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Those big paws keep getting on everything. He just does it cause he can. He’s like look at this! What’s up here? Or I’m chopping veggies and turn boom there he his! It’s semi funny but needs to stop. I’m texting he wakes up from deep sleep comes and plops on my feet. He knows I’m talking about him 😂
At six months he is entering adolescence. You'll notice him starting to practice adult behavior, like lifting his leg instead of squatting to pee. Alas, just like a human teenager, he is going to have some challenging attitude swings. Sometimes he will be a confident cocky little jerk and ignore your every wish. Other times he will act clingy. Sometimes you'll get both extremes within the same five minute period. He can't help it. He's still figuring out what being a grownup means, he's still growing, and he's got hormones coming in too. It sounds like you've done good work with him so far, and you are watchinghis needs. Keep it up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely can tell a difference in him. We’ve opened the house up..mainly the basement which is large He loves it! I did his ‘find it’ boxes down there. Like a mental and physical game we do nightly. Helps burn some energieS. He barked and it was a low WOOF. I was like 😳 where’d that come from?! It use to b this pubescent squawk/bark. I definitely got my work cut out for me. I’ve informed the family and we will all have to step up to the adolescent plate. 😬 The vet recommended him getting neutered in the next few months. What did everyone else do with neutering?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pre-fretting is good! It's just planning. :)

With time you'll start to figure out when Teddy needs physical exercise, when he needs mental exercise, when he needs to better understand what's expected of him, and when he just plain needs a nap. The signs of all these things can overlap a maddening amount, so be patient.
Yes! I ‘plan’ ALOT! 😆

·
Registered
341 Posts
Magnum was 5 yr when he was neutered. Granted, people in my area spay their females, so take precautions. I don't think he should be neutered before he gets his second phase of growth. He will grow tall, then stop growing tall and fill out. If he is neutered before filling out, his growth will go into getting longer legs.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I definitely can tell a difference in him. We’ve opened the house up..mainly the basement which is large He loves it! I did his ‘find it’ boxes down there. Like a mental and physical game we do nightly. Helps burn some energieS. He barked and it was a low WOOF. I was like 😳 where’d that come from?! It use to b this pubescent squawk/bark. I definitely got my work cut out for me. I’ve informed the family and we will all have to step up to the adolescent plate. 😬 The vet recommended him getting neutered in the next few months. What did everyone else do with neutering?
Galen let out his first big boy woof this week instead of his usual yarp. My husband thought someone else's dog was in the yard, lol.

I got Pogo and Snarky neutered at around 7 months because they were starting to do a lot of dominant humping of other dogs. I think opinion is divided now. A lot of breeders recommend waiting until 12-18 months, when the dog has reached full growth. Old school vets, mine being one, are still fine with 6 months. I'm planning to wait at least a few more months with Galen. I would be more inclined to get the neutering done ASAP if I had a bitch, as I worry about a second wave of covid infections shutting down vet surgeries. An intact adult male isn't quite the same level of hassle, so I'm not concerned if the surgery gets delayed.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Your vet is pushing but early neutering is not recommended. You need to let your dog finish growing and he needs his hormones until it’s done. Neutering should be done when the growth plates are closed, around 18 months old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts