Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
On no, poor Happy. He always looks so happy, but he clearly can’t be feeling happy now.

I will pm Snow later but let her know my tpoo had 2 episodes of acute pancreatitis and once I got her on a low fat home cooked food, she lived for many many years. I had to put her to sleep at age 20 due to arthritis and not pancreatic disease. So there’s hope for Happy if she can get him over this episode hopefully he will do well on a special diet. Back when my tpoo had it there were no special prescription diets which is why I home cooked.

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Pancreatitis is just the worst. Lily had one acute episode after picking the kitchen garbage. It was scary. Fingers and paws crossed here.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Thank you Elisabeth for starting this thread. Thank you everyone for the positive support! Happy’s vet called with good news. He is no longer 105 and the fever is going down. The vet said he is becoming more active.

What really scared me was his blood results. The kidney, liver, and pancreas values were extremely high. This is common for acute pancreatitis. We originally suspected it was his annual vaccine that might have caused the bloody diarrhea. He received his annual vaccinations last week. The doctor suspects it is most likely because he ate something odd. If he did, he did it when we were not home. Happy is not a dog that likes to steal food but he is very low to the ground. Maybe he will recover quickly and come home tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Poor little Happy! Glad to hear things are looking up, but I'll still put him in my bedtime prayers! Heal Happy Heal!!!!

Reactions: snow0160

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
So glad he is feeling better - hoping it is a one-off, and he recovers quickly.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I am sosorry to hear that Happy is having a rough time. We had a beagle with this condition so I know how difficult it is to watch our little buddies go through this. I hope his health improves swiftly and without further troubles. I wish him the very best outcome!

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Hopefully she won't mind me sharing but, I got a text from snow a little while ago to let me know that Happy went home today. He isn't 100%, but it is a great relief that he was well enough to be at home.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Thank you so much for all the support! I'm sorry for not posting earlier. I've had a crazy past few weeks. The good news is the little dude got better FAST. We picked him up from the hospital the next day and he is on specialty food. The doctor did give him take home meds which seems to help him a lot. He is no longer lethargic and back to his happy barky self. Between his complete lethargy, horrendous blood results, and high fever, I didn't think the little guy was going to make it. It was also quite alarming seeing the vet alarmed.
I was very surprised by how quickly he made a turn around once he was on IV fluids 247. The doctor put him on Purina Weight management prescription food. I wonder if it is because Happy needs to lose weight or if it is low fat for pancreatitis. We bring him back in a week to get his blood tested again to make sure that his pancreas, liver, and kidney values return to normal. Since his behavior has pretty much returned back to normal, I suspect these numbers are gonna do the same.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Good is 'Happy' news I guess! Hope he continues to get better!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I'm so happy that Happy is back to being happy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts