Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you clean the salt off your dog's feet after a winter walk around the neighborhood? Do you use boots? Do you use blocker creams (like Mushers Secret paw wax)?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
When I lived in Toronto, and took my dog to work with me every day, this was a major issue. It actually caused her severe pain. I tried boots, but they had a tendency to fall off at inopportune moments, like in the middle of a busy intersection!

These were a perfect solution: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/pawz-dog-boots

Not sure if the quality’s still the same, but despite being labelled as disposable, each set lasted us a lonnnng time.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I'm giving those a try also. That last true deep freeze kept us off the streets, but the backyard snow was so cold on Remo's feet that I could tell it actually hurt to go out on it.

Mushers Secret seemed to help. We didn't get the boots (out of stock in the size) until the last day or so. I got two on him and after a few funny dance steps, he went running as if he'd always worn them.

As for actual cleaning, the simplest for us is a dip in warm water. A plastic cup manages for mpoos. A standard might need a small jug :).

If you have a laundry sink or easy access shower, that works too.

·
Registered
596 Posts
When it’s in the single digits and below we use boots. We like the Muttluks brand. They stay on for every single walk. We use Musher’s Secret when things are extra salty but not too cold as it protects his pads. It also helps to keep the snow from balling up in between his toes. It’s super wet, salty and dirty now as the snow is melting quickly. Lots of filthy puddles on the roads and sidewalks right now. We come into the house and into the tub he goes for a leg washing. It’s a pain but it really only takes a few minutes as his hair is short and I just blot with a towel then let his legs air dry. If his legs aren’t dirty I just wipe his feet and pads off with disposable dog wipes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Seattle has a weak snowfall compared to the mid west and NE USA or parts of Canada. I just did boots the entire time. Then, her feet are clean when we are back inside and I don't have to think about it. It takes 1-2 extra minutes.

I like these ones because the sock part is as high as the hock. So, if you have pom poms, then they stay dry.

Snow is one of those conditions that you will be super attentive about once it happens... Then you will find what works for you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Keeping Oona's feet clipped helped with the painful toe snowballs and I just try to get her to avoid the worst of the salt when we're out. I did buy a kind of paw pad chapstick but have only used it a few times and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. When we're out and its disgusting salty slush I dip her feet and legs in warm water when we get home - I just use a plastic dish pan. When it's just clean snowball-y legs I throw her in a crate with a towel under her to thaw out. We haven't needed boots so far and we've been able to manage by avoiding the saltiest areas, particularly areas around apartment buildings or downtown areas that are over salted by snow removal companies. But dogs have different sensitivity, my family's old beardie needed boots.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seattle has a weak snowfall compared to the mid west and NE USA or parts of Canada. I just did boots the entire time. Then, her feet are clean when we are back inside and I don't have to think about it. It takes 1-2 extra minutes.

I like these ones because the sock part is as high as the hock. So, if you have pom poms, then they stay dry.

Snow is one of those conditions that you will be super attentive about once it happens... Then you will find what works for you.
These look good. Do they stay on?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts