Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! HELP My 7 month old standard Parti Poodle experienced his first major wet heavy snowfall today - which he loved! He comes in with snowballs everywhere - What is the best method to avoid? I tried knee socks but they fell off when jumping in the drifts. Thinking I could use them but need to secure them with suspenders or similar. Thinking of trying sheet corner connectors (elastic with clips on each end) up over his back. Snow suits look like legs too short. Short boots also fell off - probably have to tighten better. Anyone found long/tall boots? thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
Walkeepaws! I just got some for Zephyr. These are large snug fit.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Walkeepaws! I just got some for Zephyr. These are large snug fit.

View attachment 471663
These are fantastic! How does Zephyr like them?

·
Registered
836 Posts
We just got them, haven't had any snow to try them out in. I just now put them on for the first time to get the picture. They fit very well, don't need to be tight because they are held on by the "suspenders", so I think they are very comfortable for him. He's a bit embarrassed and isn't talking.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Be sure you do not laugh at your dog - it really upsets them to be mocked that way. I know that sounds anthropomorphic, but I can assure you that dogs are very sensitive to our attitudes toward them.

I used to remind family members to be sure to tell a poodle how beautiful he/she looked, especially the first time a puppy clip is changed into a continental. It really does matter!

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Be sure you do not laugh at your dog - it really upsets them to be mocked that way. I know that sounds anthropomorphic, but I can assure you that dogs are very sensitive to our attitudes toward them.

I used to remind family members to be sure to tell a poodle how beautiful he/she looked, especially the first time a puppy clip is changed into a continental. It really does matter!
I think good-spirited laughter is often received well, but I'm sure it depends on the dog and how well they can interpret their humans' intentions. Peggy's a clown. She soaks up our laughter joyfully. :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you are picking a crafty diy route and insist on the sock method then try to recreate this velcro method on elastic to hold them up.

I'm not sure what supplies you have on hand, but with 6-8 inches of velcro or less per leg, some elastic, and a few stitches on a sewing machine you could make some at home w/o leaving or spending much money.

Basil has a rubber dipped sock that we use in all weather (PNW Seattle rain weather, no snow yet). I'll link them below. We have the XXL for plenty of space for her feet to expand. I make sure to stretch the elastic behind her leg so she can't nibble it loose; she only tried the first time I put them on. We've been wearing these since early November many handfuls of times and it's just part of the routine on extra cold or wet days. They don't fall off or slip down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a pair of walkeepaws for my spoo and while they were great in theory I preferred the backcountry paws gaiters. I ended up only using the walkeepaws for city walks (salt) but didn’t use them if there was a lot of snow/slush. The leg area wasn’t waterproof and didn’t cover the full leg so snow still formed balls. Plus they would slip off sometimes when running/playing no matter how we adjusted them. They were great for walks when there wasn’t a lot of snow on the ground.

I liked the gaiters because they were adjustable in different areas (chest, feet, shoulders, rear) and she couldn’t slip out of them and they coverEd her entire leg. They were great if we were off leash in the mountains, at the dog park, or backyard if there was a significant amount of snow.

Gaiters

·
Registered
13 Posts
We get quite a bit of snow where I live, which Penny loves! She's still growing and I don't want to invest in poodle attire until she's her adult size, so my method for dealing with snowballs is reactive rather than proactive. After a good romp in the snow, I bring her inside and melt the snowballs with my HV dryer. It has the bonus effect of warming her up and drying her soaked hair, too :)

20201118_090432-1.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
We had some 'real' snow the other day here, and Raffi came in and chewed the snowballs off himself lol!!
Perfect, cuz he's in and out quite a lot and putting boots or something one just won't happen around here. I just resign myself to mopping a LOT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts