Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thankfully all of the dogs are becoming best of friends! There are days when there are some power struggles and of course, that is to be expected...

Orville is getting on really well.. Snoops has such a love/hate relationship with him. haha! Socks was growling at Orville and Snoops stood up and barked at Socks. I think he was saying "hey! if anyone is going to growl at the new guy, it's me!"

Snoops n Orville love to hide from Socks.. escaping to his crate together. Snoops also loves to go in there, and Orville jumps down on top of it from the raised platform of the fireplace. HILARIOUS! I need to take some video...

Orville is a very strong personality - I can easily see him becoming dominant once he is older. I would like to curb this and I am doing my best to assist with establishing rank and order amongst the dogs. He is very curious and fearless - already bounding up the staircase at only 12 weeks old! This is something Snoops did not attempt until at least 6 months old!

One problem that is extremely aggravating is his poop eating. arrrgggh! He snatches it as soon as it comes out. He knows it's bad behavior so now he seeks out little hiding spots. We watch him like a hawk but for example - I turned away for a second today to fill up the water bowl and he was off hiding behind the recliner, turd burgling. I've started putting a bit of fresh puree pumpkin in his food - I've heard it makes the taste of their poop intolerable to them. He is doing ok with the potty pad training but strays as well (especially when he is pooping and hiding)... it's a long and difficult process (for me and Orville) to potty train! Fingers crossed he grows up to be a good boy like his brother Snoops :)

Snoops is a bit overweight right now (as you can see).. probably because I was feeding him fresh chicken after his tapeworm experience. He had lost some weight then, but he has certainly gained it all back and more! Anyone have any weight loss tips? We get plenty of exercise and I have cut out his lunch (which was only 1/8th cup of food, so no big loss to him) as well as any treats. Perhaps the cooler weather has him bulking up as well... ???

Attachments

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Just keep Snoops on a strict diet, feed an amount in the morning, and an amount in the evening, give him some time to eat it, and if he doesn't, take the food away. He'll learn that these are his eating times. That's how we have been taking weight off of my pitty mix. As well as getting a better grade dog food, but I don't think anyone on this forum has a problem with that.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Aww, they're all so sweet n' cute!

Once, I accidently read the amount/day of food I was supposed to feed TheQueen, and turns out I was feeding her double what she should eat per day. Needless to say, she got pudgy. BOY did she get pudgy. I ended up running with her and playing a ridiculous amount of fetch with her... oh, and feeding her the right amount of food. She eventually got back down. Eventually. Oh, and TheFiance reminds me that I cut her feeding down from what the bag said by like half a cup.

As horrible as that sounds, TheQueen could eat until she exploded, so she didn't seem to notice the lack of a tiny bit of food. She thinks any time she goes outside, she should come back in to a bowl of food. She is ALWAYS hungry. *sigh* my fatty. (even though she's only 1-2 overweight now)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - Snoops has always had designated feeding times. He is a creature of routine, as am I.

He eats in the morning, 1/4 cup Wellness Core and then I would give him an 1/8 cup in the afternoon and 1/4 cup for dinner. I have since cut out the 1/8 cup lunch. I hope to have him back to a healthy weight soon! He is much too big for his frame now.. he used to be able to jump on the bed but now he is too heavy!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
They look adorable together! Orville is just gorgeous in all his puppy cuteness. I'm sure Snoops will get back into shape soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts