Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I can't bathe him because of his stitches. I just got off the phone with the vet and they want him to take a pill called Capstar, and a topical Frontline.
Who in poodle forum has experience with these treatments? I'd love to know more!

I guess he must have caught the fleas from our other dog Socks. I guess we are going to have to fog the entire house now. OMG! And Snoops sleeps in our bed... How do I treat the mattress and the couches?!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've used capstar when I worked at the clinic. It is a one time pill that starts working withitn an hour... maybe it's a half hour. Anyway kills pretty much right away and if effective for 24 hours. According to the company the pill is safe to give every day if one so desired.

Frontline goes between the shoulder blades and is then spread over the body. Frontline plus kills fleas and ticks.

Salt your carpets, if you've got them. Regular 'ol mortans will do fine nothing special. Sprinkle the salt like you would any other carpet powder and let it sit. I did mine reccently and let it sit overnight, though I don't think you have to do that. The salt is supposed to dehydrate any fleas that may be in the carpet. You can vaccume it up no worries.

As far as the couches and your bed thats a little harder. Obviously it'll help to wash the sheets on your bed as well as any beds or pillows that snoops may sleep on. They make sprays and such for treating home and furnature. Deflea is supposed to be "all natural" safe and effective. It can be srayed on dog and around the home. Doesn't smell super awsome but it's much less offensive than some smells. Getting hold of it might be an issue. Only two places in my area have it at all, petland and petsmart. If walmart or a drug store is your only option hartz and adams both make home sprays.
Then again, If you've got a decent vaccume you could probably use it on your bed and avoid any of the chemical sprays at all.... ?? I'm not really a fan of using sprays and such myself so could understand other people's reluctance to do so.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks WP!... You always come thru with great advice. I salted the carpets as u had suggested the other week when Socks came down with a bout of fleas. I just finished vacuuming... Phew! I stripped all the beds and 5 loads of laundry later, I'm just about done. I washed all the floors with soap/vinegar, I salted all of the upholstery as well... Do you think I have to do the leather arm chair? There is one room left to do, as well as Socks' linens... But I think I will let my boyfriend tackle cleaning the game room. We are gonna give both dogs the capstar and topical frontline tonight. I wasn't supposed to bathe Snoops because of his stitches, but I made a concoction of mint/lavender shampoo with apple cider vinegar/water and combed it thru his hair. I saw all of the flea dirt turn brownish red, and saw a few bugs running and burrowing deeper into him.. They even got near his stitches :( I wiped him down with a wet rag and combed him thru again.

This is my first experience with fleas.. What an ordeal! The vet tech said we will see the fleas falling off the dogs' body after using capstar. Ewww! Guess I can get ready to clean again in a few days. Snoops and I are travelling on Tuesday so hopefully I can rid him of these pests! We are going to have the house fogged as well in a few days as well as the yard..

I guess I should also clean out the car since Snoops rides up front??

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd vacuum every crack and crevice where debris and dust might collect, that should keep you pretty safe.

Around here Frontline doesn't really work anymore, same with advantage. The only things that's consistently killed fleas is Comfortis, an oral pill. Frontline may work where you are, but if it doesn't I'd definitely try the pill.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Borax laundy soap is supposed to work good it is dry and you sprinkle it everywhere let it sit like the salt and it dehydrates everything as well.
My Mastiff got them once. Glad you went straight to vet no sence fooling with the pet store stuff.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just gave Snoops his Capstar pill.. He took it no problem.. Now I'm just watching to see the fleas drop off of him. So far nothing...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
it'll take a little while but the capstar will get rid of whatever he has on him right this minute. The frontline will prevent reinfestation.

You shouldn't have to do much with the leather chair, just maybe vacume it once over to remove anything hiding in the cracks and you should be good. We've never done anything to our leather furnature.

Frontline isn't working here either Mel advantix and comfortis seem to be the only things that are this year.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm sorry Snoops is having to deal with this while he is recovering. Poor Socks too. I have found that beneficial nematodes work best outside. The chemical sprays and spreads can wash away, and I worry about the harsh chemicals. Although, right now, it seems like we may not get more rain for awhile.

Beneficial nematodes will kill the adult fleas in 48 hours and keep a lot of other pests under control too. I got mine at Wal Mart, but I don't know if they still carry them. We have a garden home, so there is no back yard.

Here's a link for more info. It sounds like you have the house clean. Good luck with little Snoops and Socks.

http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com/beneficial-nematodes.htm

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Let me clarify.... I have a garden home now and haven't used them in awhile. When I used them before, I had a full size front and back yard on a corner lot. They worked great. Another option to consider anyway.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I just went to the link in the nematodes. That is really interesting information. I had never heard of them before this. It did make my skin crawl just a bit when I read how many there are in just a little bit of dirt! It's amazing what is all around us that we don't even know about.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohhhhh those beneficial nematodes are neat!! We will definitely take a look for them! Thanks BFF :)

I just got thru a second vacuuming of the house... The salt really sticks in the carpet! I almost broke the vacuum cuz it filled up with salt in all the nooks and crannies.. An excuse to get a new Dyson! :D :party:

Snoops seems to be ok... I didn't see anything jump off of him. Socks has been itching like mad.. Poor girl. She will get her bath in the morning then both dogs will get Frontline...

I'm pooped after a full day of cleaning! :yawn: time for bed!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm sorry Snoops is having to deal with this while he is recovering. Poor Socks too. I have found that beneficial nematodes work best outside. The chemical sprays and spreads can wash away, and I worry about the harsh chemicals. Although, right now, it seems like we may not get more rain for awhile.

Beneficial nematodes will kill the adult fleas in 48 hours and keep a lot of other pests under control too. I got mine at Wal Mart, but I don't know if they still carry them. We have a garden home, so there is no back yard.

Here's a link for more info. It sounds like you have the house clean. Good luck with little Snoops and Socks.

http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com/beneficial-nematodes.htm
Fasinating! I love learning about stuff that is organic pest control.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Frontline on my two dogs. Our cats bring in the fleas and spread them about. When I first saw them on the dogs, I was really worried as Coco was booked in to be speyed. It took 48 hours for the Frontline to work. As another poster said, fleas round here are becoming immune to it as it has been out on the market for quite while. I've never heard of using salt to kill them - just ordinary table salt?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am not a fan of using anything chemical/poison around my house or on my spoo,so here is what works for me.

Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes, Fly Repellant
Ingredients are full strength oils: Tea Tree Oil, Rosemary Oil, Sage Oil,
Cedarwood Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Citronella,
Oil, Pine Needle Oil,
Directions: Mix 4-6 drops each with 32 oz of any natural shampoo and you now
have a natural flea shampoo, or

Mix 2-3 drops each with 16 oz. Water in a spray bottle. Shake before each
application and spray lightly over entire body.

Repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flies and also makes the van smell great.
Spray dogs, and blankets. Use before going into the show ring instead of those
other sprays; no chemical smell spray. This stuff smells great, dogs look
great, give additional shine to their coat.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'd vacuum every crack and crevice where debris and dust might collect, that should keep you pretty safe.
I posted some info about fleas in another thread Finghin is right You need to vacuum A LOT !!!!!!!!!!! do not leave vacuum bags in vacuum after each use muust dump them out. Get raid flea spray for the carpet ( if any ) or zodiac flea carpet powder or spray.

You must stick with a goo regime if you want all fleas gone. fronline and other flea products that is given to dogs only kills the adults and eggs and larvae but not the pupa stage

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am not a fan of using anything chemical/poison around my house or on my spoo,so here is what works for me.

Oil, Pine Needle Oil,

I bet this does smell good. I'll have to make some for my little one when I get her. LOL....I'll probably put it on me too!

·
Registered
616 Posts

Oil, Pine Needle Oil,

do you have to have ALL of these EOs?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Tanner - to bathe Snoops and Socks, we used a mixture of
"Kiss My Face" Shampoo (people shampoo) followed by Kiss My Face conditioner Lavender & Chamomile. We also added apple cider vinegar to the water. This combo seemed to work really well and left their coats smelling great and soft as well! Fleas are opposed to lavender and mint so you get these components from the shampoo/conditioner.
I've also heard of herbal flea collars (Petguard?)

It's been suggested to plant lavender, mint, pennyroyal in your garden and keep it around the house - Place sachets filled with lavender and mint in drawers and pet beds to repel fleas. Put cedar chips under beds and furniture.

Steep 6 lemons cut in half in a quart of water for three hours. Strain the liquid into a spray bottle and spray your pet's body with the lemon spray. This sounds a bit harsh? Not sure how it would affect your pet... it may sting a little?

Good luck with the fleas! They are so tedious, and such a task to tidy up the house, car, etc after a bout with them...

·
Registered
79 Posts
When Living in the last flea area (I live in Alberta now and NO fleas, or heartworm :p) I planted close to 100 lavender bushed on the property, it keeps the fleas and many other irritating bugs away but your butterflyes and bumble bees will be happy to see you!
Aswell planting a bulb of garlic in a few spots around your property, keeps the mosquitoes(sp) away :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
When Living in the last flea area (I live in Alberta now and NO fleas, or heartworm :p) I planted close to 100 lavender bushed on the property, it keeps the fleas and many other irritating bugs away but your butterflyes and bumble bees will be happy to see you!
Aswell planting a bulb of garlic in a few spots around your property, keeps the mosquitoes(sp) away :)
I would LOVE to plant about 1000 lavender plants round my yard!!!! LOVE IT!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts