Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beau was neutered and microchipped this morning, just a few weeks shy of his first birthday. He's home now, and looking rather pitiful, with his tail folded down tight instead of held jauntily upright as usual.

The first thing he did when we set him on his feet in the house is bend down to lick the stitches, and after trying to divert him for a while, on went a blue inflatable donut collar we borrowed from a neighbor. He's tolerating that for now, but clearly not too happy about it. He's quite obviously tired, and walking slowly and VERY carefully, for which you can hardly blame him.

I know I did the right thing, but that doesn't stop me from feeling very guilty right now.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Poor boy - I am sure he will bounce back very quickly. A day or two of extra treats and indoor games may be in order, though, to distract him and assuage your guilt!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Give him a day or two. Kodi was back on his feet right away. I had to struggle to keep him calm after 3 days to let the incision heal!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Newt didn't have boyparts to be removed, but she did lose a uterus. By the next day she was much more her normal self. I think that, in a way, that's worse, since even though they feel great, you need keep them from bouncing about

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Aww poor Beau <3 Wishing for a speedy recovery!

Desmond was so disoriented on his first day home from his neuter... He was super groggy and sleepy from the anesthetics, so he came home and looked real sad, then fell asleep on the floor. He would wake up and whimper and freak out a little bit because he couldn't see through the sides of the plastic cone and couldn't find me! ): Poor bubby. So I laid with him and let him pass out on my lap. He calmed right down as soon as I was with him. It was the sweetest thing.
Give Beau lots of cuddles for me! He'll be back to his normal self soon enough :)
And happy almost-birthday to him hahah. What a birthday gift, huh? Surgery and a chip stuck under his back... LOL

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to report that Beau is already doing a little better. I never realized just how accurately his tail signifies his mood! We wish he wasn't quite so flexible - he can still manage to lick down there, in spite of the inflatable donut collar. He looks like he's in a life jacket. We'll deploy the "cone of shame" if we have to, but I hope it's not necessary. Thanks for all your good wishes. Now we get to come up with a fancy schmancy name. Have to post another thread for that.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You'll be amazed how quickly he will be back to normal. When mine was six months, he was neutered, had a hernia repair, got his ears plucked, and was microchipped, all in one session. He was utterly miserable for 1 day, moderately miserable for a second day, and by day 3 could not understand why we had to do that silly leash walking. The biggest challenge was keeping him (relatively) quiet for the 10 days prescribed by the vet.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, take this thing off me, already!

Beau is back to his old self, which means he's no longer content to just leave well-enough alone. We tried an Elizabethan collar ("Cone of Shame"), but the only one that fit was too short - his nose stuck out past the cone, and he's flexible enough to lick his stitches even with it on. He proved to be a Houdini with the larger size we tried. He's tolerating this inflatable gizmo quite well, though he can defeat it., too.

Sure will be happy when the incision is fully healed!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Glad Beau is feeling better, and that you are too! You did the noble and right thing by him and that's not always easy. But that's what "parenthood," of a child or a poodle, calls for. Chagall was neutered at 6 months. I dropped him off at 7 a.m. and by 10:30 a.m. the vet called to ask me if I "wanted my boy back." He said, "He's bouncing all over the place." When I picked him up, he bounced into my arms then slept the entire day. He was a tad slower than his usually peppy self day #2 and by day #3, I had to restrain him from romping like a lunatic. I said to my husband, "The only way I know Chagall was neutered is by looking in our checkbook, I clearly paid the vet." He was so little then, and so were his, uh, you know, his little "grapes," maybe it was just no big deal for him. But it sure was a big deal for me! I felt so lousy seeing him groggy and then seeing the stitches. All part of poodle boy love, though, I get that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts