Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am like every other spoo mom in thinking this, but I am just so amazed and how smart Ivan is. I started using the bell on the door yesterday. Ivan is still learning to use it. I'm wondering if I should let him out every time he rings it. He loves outside and everytime I take him inside about 5 mins later he is ringing it to be let out again. I don't want to confusing him so what I have been doing is everytime he rings it, if I'm not going to take him outside I give him some attention to let him know that I understand that he wants something.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This poodle mom thinks just like you - they are very smart:)

I wouldn't let him out either, but I wouldn't show attention either when he is doing that shortly after coming in. Ignor Ivan when he does this or he will continue to have you up every few minutes. I swore I was gonna thin out my carpet when mine did this. I was proud and then annoyed real quick!

Olie had done this and the Poms. As a matter of fact the poms still do it once in a while but one thing all 3 do when they REALLY gotta go - is pace over to me then the door or they start doing circles by the door - that means real business to me and I get up. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's june bug time and he keeps ringing it till I come to the door, so I put him in time out, which seems to calm him down for awhile. And thank goodness its almost his bed time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yeah, I can see where that would drive me nuts after a while....lol! Too smart for his... or should I say YOUR..... own good! I too would not let him out nor pay any attention to him if he rings the bells just to go out to play right after coming in. Watch for another sign, like Olie said, that he paces next to the door or goes from the door to you and back and rings the bells. This way, you will know he really has to go and he can learn that the bells are for potty time, not for 'fun' time.

Good luck with all as he learns.... you might be hearing bells ringing in your sleep for a while....LOL.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I tried the bells but they started playing with them too. The let me know they need to go out without them. Suddenly I am surrounded by three dogs pacing around and around and staring at me. Can't ignore that signal!! Out they go.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I tried the bells but they started playing with them too. The let me know they need to go out without them. Suddenly I am surrounded by three dogs pacing around and around and staring at me. Can't ignore that signal!! Out they go.
Do you ever find that one will come and get you to let you know another one needs to go out? Liberty "translates" for Cosita. I take them both to work at my 2nd job with me, and when Cosita wants to go outside, she whines. But I never know if she wants to go outside to play or to do her business because she whines for both. When she really has to go though, Liberty will come and get me by pacing around me, staring into my eyes, and then going to the door. We go outside, and only Cosita has to go. Geez those poodles are smart.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
It's june bug time and he keeps ringing it till I come to the door, so I put him in time out, which seems to calm him down for awhile. And thank goodness its almost his bed time.
Ahh LOL - this explains it!! Yep smart boy!!

I feed Raw and they eat outside. Sometimes they try to pull this on me in the AM - NOPE:)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Try just letting him outside the first time he rings them and does his business, and when he continues to ring them to go outside and play ignore them. When YOU want to go outside and play with him just go out, don't give him the opportunity to ring the bells. Vegas has never done this, but I'm hoping (never done this myself, just an idea) that Ivan will learn that play time is done on your terms, not his.

Good job on teaching him the bells! My goal with Vegas was to have him let me know how to go out when I wasn't next to him, where I could hear him across the house.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My understanding has always been that he rings the bell, he goes out every single time.
Desmond went through his obsessively obnoxious bell ringing every five minute phase as well, but stick it out. I stopped taking him out when he rang it too many times and it messed him up, he didn't understand what to do. However, we have benefited a bit from me being lazy: now, I KNOW he has to go out when he rings the bell, comes up to me, nudges me/stares at me, and rings the bell again. Sometimes, he will just ring the bell because it's there, but then he walks right off and I know he was just being silly.

While your pup is still learning the bell, take him out whenever he asks. (Maybe do set a time limit in between bell rings IF you think it will help your pup understand what you want of him.) What I did, when I KNEW Des didn't actually have to potty, we'd go outside, and if he didn't go RIGHT to the pee spot and lunge immediately to pee, we turned right around and went back inside. He's learned to go potty very quickly now, which I appreciate. I'm very strict about where he pees lol. He no longer rings the bell to just go out and sniff, since he never was able to accomplish that by ringing the bell- I didn't give him that option. DO NOT let the bell = outside to play or to sniff around aimlessly!! That's what will ruin the training.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With Ivan I actually use my watch as a pee timer so I know when he would need to go out to pee. He does not ring it as much for other then going out. But sometimes if he wants attention he rings it. He has also learned sit and lay down but having trouble with roll-over. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think the whole point of the bell is to ask to be let out. I always let Jackson out when he rings. But I don't go out with him any more. He soon discovered that yes, he can go out even when he doesn't need to but then he's out there alone. And he stays out until I'm ready to let him in. Now he only uses it if he really has to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts