Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for the ideal sized poodle (for me) for awhile now. I'm located in Atlantic Canada and it can be difficult to locate a great breeder in this area. At this point, I'm not sure if what I'm looking for actually exists. I would like to find a 25 to 30 lbs (11.3 to 13.6 kg) poodle. (I would love to avoid counter surfing.) Colour isn't really a concern, although I would like to avoid a white dog as we spend a lot of time outside. Can anyone suggest any "reputable" breeders anywhere near me or in North America for that matter.

"I also should mention I want a dog that is manageable for my kids to walk. They currently walk our dog after school."

·
Premium Member
23,186 Posts
First you should not think that you can avoid counter surfing by having a slightly smaller dog. You need to train not to do that. Even toy sized dogs can be very creative on getting up on counters if they think it is worth it to do so. Aside from that if you still are looking for a mini that has gone oversized. If leaving off counter surfing then look for a standard. Standards are easier to findgenerally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We currently have a Boston terrier and I like that he can't reach our counters so food is pretty safe from his reach. However, that doesn't mean the food left unsupervised on the table isn't fair game. :) I'm also looking for the 25 to 30 lbs range because I feel it is more manageable for walks with my children. Standards are a little more dog than what I am looking for. Minis are a little too small.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Reputable breeders breed for correct sizing. What you are looking for may be hard to find. I don’t have any breeder recommendations as I’m in Florida. If I were in your situation I would find a mini breeder and communicate that you are looking for a dog or puppy that is oversized. It may take longer for you to find a dog or puppy if you are firm on this size requirement. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My 15 lb in size miniature boy is just tall enough to reach the edge of our counter with his nose. If he were any bigger I feel certain he would reach the counter. Poodles are lean dogs that are relatively tall for their weight. I'm fairly certain a 25-30 lb poodle could reach counters. You would probably be happy with a large miniature. They seem much larger than they really are.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with raindrops. My mini is 20lbs, and he can reach the edge of the counter, which means anything too close could be fair game if I’m not paying attention. He is not allowed to do this, but it still happens occasionally. A dog any bigger will be taller and definitely be able to get up on your counters if not trained not to.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would research the closest poodle club to where you live, and call them and ask for a referral to mini poodle breeders in your area. Then, go visit! It's fun, and you likely will leave with a very good idea of whether the breeder and dogs are a good fit for you and your family.

Mini poodles are awesome!! In my opinion it is distressingly easy to find an oversized one, but maybe that is just a west coast thing. If you really want to look for a needle in a hay stack, try finding a small mini from a good breeder. Pffft. Now that's hard to find.

Good luck. Post updates!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Strictly for reference

Poodle model approx 14"h w/4 on the floor, approx 14" back of neck to base of tail, approx 14lbs. Human model approx 5'9". Poodle nose just reaches edge of kitchen counter. Poodle toes can brush items at edge of kitchen table.

for comparison, same models, poodle in arms

poodle comparison to knee and 10" playground bouncy ball (poodle trying to be small as he's not fond of this ball lol)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crystal Creek has a dam that's about 20 inches tall and 30 lbs. Not sure if she will be breeding her soon though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strictly for reference

Poodle model approx 14"h w/4 on the floor, approx 14" back of neck to base of tail, approx 14lbs. Human model approx 5'9". Poodle nose just reaches edge of kitchen counter. Poodle toes can brush items at edge of kitchen table.
View attachment 464627

for comparison, same models, poodle in arms
View attachment 464628

poodle comparison to knee and 10" playground bouncy ball (poodle trying to be small as he's not fond of this ball lol)
View attachment 464629
Your dog is gorgeous!!! This is a great size actually. I'm also looking for a dog to come running and cross-country skiing with me. Do you think a mini this size could keep up?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Neo says thank you for the compliment :).
I'm not the best source for answering your question about those activities. I'm thinking Yes, but suggest posing this question over in Training and Obedience, probably the Performance category or maybe the General category.

I know members have talked about activities with their minis and toys but can't remember specifics and I haven't found the right Search words to get helpful results.

Our members engaged in Performance activities will be your best source.

Reactions: croth

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Minis can be very energetic. I have a 15 lb, 14 inches at the withers mini girl and she would easily be running partner. Stamina is not an issue, me having the stamina to tire her out is at times though!

I’ve heard it said that minis are the most energetic of the sizes, but I’ve never had the other sizes. I agree that there seem to be a lot of oversized minis.

Reactions: croth

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My mini certainly has enough energy for it. I have also always heard they are the most energetic of the varieties, though there is variation of course. Poodle coats can be a bit annoying with outdoor activity because they take more effort to clean, are velcro for any plant seed, and also collect snow balls. I know a lot of people give them short trims for cold weather to avoid the snowballs, but where I live I do a shorter cut during the summer because it's constantly raining and there is mud everywhere.

Keep in mind you have to wait for maturity for any repetitive physical activity. The bigger the dog, the longer you need to wait. But generally it'll be a year or so.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I have a mini about 15" and 17lbs. His nose can just reach the edge of the counter when he stands up. He has never tried to get on top of it, he is just too small. The dining table, though, he could get things off near the edges if he worked at it. I love his size... and he does have energy. It took him about 9 months to reach his full height, but another few months to get to his final weight (after everything filled out). I'm pretty sure that if I did the activities you are talking about he would have kept up just fine. He never even used to sleep during the day until about 8 months ago: he'll be 7yrs in August.

I wish you the best in your search for just the right pup. I also agree you should visit breeders and determine what size would work for you. Poodle are fairly light for their size so weight might not be a good indicator of what would work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a mini about 15" and 17lbs. His nose can just reach the edge of the counter when he stands up. He has never tried to get on top of it, he is just too small. The dining table, though, he could get things off near the edges if he worked at it. I love his size... and he does have energy. It took him about 9 months to reach his full height, but another few months to get to his final weight (after everything filled out). I'm pretty sure that if I did the activities you are talking about he would have kept up just fine. He never even used to sleep during the day until about 8 months ago: he'll be 7yrs in August.

I wish you the best in your search for just the right pup. I also agree you should visit breeders and determine what size would work for you. Poodle are fairly light for their size so weight might not be a good indicator of what would work.
I really like your thought of weight not being a good indicator of what would work for me. Perhaps I should be looking more closely at the adult height because when we are out in the snow, weight won't matter as much as height. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Well I'd probably go with a standard, but thats me. I have a standard, and I have a boxer. They do not counter surf. The poodle has reached his nose up but learned early on that it is not acceptable. I don't leave a roast out for them though, LOL With the boxer I know I could and he wouldn't jump up the poodle I'm not so sure, so I don't tempt him. I wish you good luck in your search for either.

·
Super Moderator
5,199 Posts
I'm not sure there's a better adventure buddy out there than a spoo, and trust me - I had many adventures with my mini!! Beloved memories.

But a standard poodle ticks just about every box, the notable exception being portability. It sure was nice to tuck Gracie up under my arm.

Last I checked, Peggy was 44 lbs and 21 inches—definitley on the smaller end, but I know some Poodle Forum members have even smaller standards.

She's never countersurfed. She's not even coffee table surfed! But as she's just approaching 9 months, I know there's still plenty of time. Lord help me. ?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I can’t say I share your opinion on your thought of white dogs not being well suited for being outside.

The white colour makes it easier than darker colours to find ticks, and burrs.

I find when my dog gets muddy, it dries, and then slowly comes off as dust, and leaves him looking fairly clean before long. My dog is not pure white, but fairly close to it on his legs. I guess it does not really bother me much if he looks dirty, when he is dirty.

Here’s a couple older pictures of my dog dirty, and clean.

·
Super Moderator
5,199 Posts
I can’t say I share your opinion on your thought of white dogs not being well suited for being outside.

The white colour makes it easier than darker colours to find ticks, and burrs.

I find when my dog gets muddy, it dries, and then slowly comes off as dust, and leaves him looking fairly clean before long. My dog is not pure white, but fairly close to it on his legs. I guess it does not really bother me much if he looks dirty, when he is dirty.

Here’s a couple older pictures of my dog dirty, and clean.

Totally off topic: LOVE seeing that Jays hat and Sobeys bag. Like a little taste of home. ❤

·
Registered
592 Posts
Totally off topic: LOVE seeing that Jays hat and Sobeys bag. Like a little taste of home.
Haha, yeah, that’s pretty far off topic. I gotta ask then, what’s your story? Born and raised in Canada, currently living elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts