Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if they are any dog parks for small dogs or puppies only in Calgary.
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Registered
859 Posts
Olive, the most aggressive dogs that I have encountered have been chihuahuas.

There may be some out there with sunny dispositions, but do be careful.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I googled "small dog park calgary", and found several results in the top few. I would google it and see what is closest to you, i dont know that we have any other Calgarians as members.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Olive, the most aggressive dogs that I have encountered have been chihuahuas.

There may be some out there with sunny dispositions, but do be careful.
Before I got Olive, I was considering a chihuahua as a pet dog. Then I learned that they can be bitey and agressive. Now I do not want a chihuahua.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Before I got Olive, I was considering a chihuahua as a pet dog. Then I learned that they can be bitey and agressive. Now I do not want a chihuahua.
Chihuahuas make very nice pets, as long as you treat them like dogs, and not like toys or babies. Many of them seem aggressive, but it’s rather a fear reaction toward big dogs. They are very self-concious of their size and are weary of big dogs.

I hope I have another Chihuahua in my lifetime.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’d like to add to what Dechi said. I don’t want to make this that kind of thread, but a lot of toy dogs are treated like babies with little to no training, the outcome being a lot of problems. Chihuahuas just so happen to be one of the more popular toys. They’re stubborn, but very manageable.

Like Dechi said, they’re very aware of their size and try to make up for it. Sometimes it’s not always flattering either. That’s where proper training comes into play! Like most dogs. I may be bias, but it doesn’t help that everyone thinks their dog is a good doggo, especially those with larger dogs (we’ve all heard the phrase “my dog is a good dog/my dog is gentle!”), then mistaken bully behavior as play. That can traumatize any dog, but especially tiny dogs and puppies.

So be careful of any dog breed and bad owners! I hope you find a good park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,833 Posts

Just a start, haven't looked thru these to see if one has a small dog only park.

This search got some results from residents of the area:

small dog off leash parks calgary site:www.reddit.com

Sithappens.org is mentioned a couple of times as an alternative. They seem to be in business still. https://www.sithappens.org/class-calendar/

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Actually chihuahuas can be very sweet loving dogs. I've had two both rescues. One was bit aggressive but I actually knew where he came from and could understand it, but with family he was sweet as can be. The other was from a baad situation and though he was always fearful, he had a super temperament and was never nippy. Like any dog much of it is how you raise them, toy breeds can be this way if you treat them as babies rather than dogs. Personally I don't know of many dog parks I don't frequent them where I live, too many untrained dogs, and I don't personally like others dogs in my/or my dogs face, but thats just me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chihuahuas make very nice pets, as long as you treat them like dogs, and not like toys or babies. Many of them seem aggressive, but it’s rather a fear reaction toward big dogs. They are very self-concious of their size and are weary of big dogs.

I hope I have another Chihuahua in my lifetime.
Do you have a chihuahua?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts