Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I don’t think this is normal, but I hope someone out there experienced this before.

my cookie (8 months) is a toy poodle. we both dont have friends (lol)
Today when we went on walkies, I spotted another dog mum. She has a gorgeous samoyed, an adorable golden retriever, and a strong (which seems to be) schnauzer.
we had introduced our dog to each other before. And since today i got to see them again for the second time, i thought it’ll be a good opportunity for both of us to get new friends.
Ok, before everyone attacks me with “small dog shouldn’t play with big dog!!! What were you thinking!”
i know about that.
when The first time she approached me and asked if she can let our dog sniff each other, i was very scared. Since her’s were much bigger than mine. And a great doggo mum she is, she introduced them one by one. No not all of them surround cookie at once. Also, she didn’t introduced the schnauzer since he’s the alpha male. And she didn’t want any accidents happen.
Well, my cookie is a sub. He’s scared but also curious. We introduced them slowly. And yes, my cookie did ran around with his tail down. Got me worried. Her big dogs were very gentle with cookie. They stayed and calmly sniff cookie, well, they did go after cookie. But they didn’t bark or nibble on him. Calmly sniffs and follow cookie. Also we both held onto their leash. Just in case, yknow.
Okay, as we apart, cookie was fine. He was all wags and walk fine.
But a few minutes walk later, he suddenly limp as if he got something on his paws. I checked on them, nothing. Refused to move. So i lifted him up. But then he suddenly change. His eyes go wide, can barely hear his breath. His mouth opened but you know I couldn’t hear his usual loud pant when he’s excited. It freaked me out.
i took off all his leash even his collar. Tried to put him down but he won’t walk. Suddenly he goes all woobly. And then, he will lie down, and he will start panting loudly as usual.
i never seen a dog in shock before, I wonder if this is what it looked like.
This has happened once. On the first time I introduced him to them. And on that time i panicked thinking cookie swallowed something weird when I didn’t look. but the same event happened again today. So I’m sure it’s because of his meeting with the big dogs.
I took him to a dog cafe a few days ago. They got big dogs and small dogs too. And he even got barked by some of those small dogs. But after the visit from dog cafe, he was fine.
anyone ever experienced this before ? Anyone know what this is ? Should i not let him meet the dogs that are bigger than him again?

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Frankly this does not sound at all normal to me - could it be syncope? I would want a full vet check up in case there is an underlying disorder predisposing him to these episodes, and advice on what to do if it occurs again.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yes, that would be a "call the vet" issue for me, too.

We have a dog who was possibly the world's timidest, most nervous dog. Dubbed that not by us, but by every person she met. She was TERRIFIED of people, sometimes large dogs, etc for the first year or two. Never had anything even remotely similar happen. Cowering, yes, asking to be picked up, yes, hiding, yes - collapsing, no.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
No, this doesn't sound normal. Stress is normal when meeting new dogs. Reacting to stress by fainting or having a seizure is not normal. I would talk to a vet. Be persistent. The vet might not see the problem when you are at the office; he won't have three big dogs in the exam room, after all. He might think you are overreacting. But you know what you saw.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree with Dechi. It sounds like a seizure. If he does have epilepsy there is medication for it, but you need it to be diagnosed. For a dog without dog friends being introduced to scary dogs would be very stressful and it could have brought on the seizure. My standard poodle had epilepsy but it did not make it's appearance until he was three years old and we did not know what it was. Other things can cause a seizure, though, like something you did not see him eat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. Thanks for writing back everyone.
I did a quick search about dog seizures last night so i know what it’s like and what to do when it occurred again.

we haven’t gone to vet yet.
Today we went on our noon walk, we met another dog this time he’s slightly smaller than cookie is. It all was good and fun.
And again,
After they apart, cookie still managed to sniff to do his business and after we walked like 2 minutes, he suddenly stops. And kept on being close to my legs.
I stopped and asked him what’s wrong and he just looked at me, so i tried to take him on walk again. He walked for a bit and stopped. Doesn’t seems to want to walk.
so i took off his harness thinking maybe it’s the harness and attached his leash on his collar and try to take him on walk. He walked a bit. And then fully stopped. And then he sat down. And watched the car drove away.
i’m more collected and calm now since i know what it is and what to expect. I waited with him on side of the road. It slowly kicked in, and i monitored him and did my best to record it to show the vet later.
we waited for a bit on side walk. After like 3 minutes or so, the seizure stopped and he was confused. We waited for a bit more and then i tried to take him on walk back home (dont worry this time it’s not too far from our house yet) he walked a few steps and didn’t want to anymore. And laid down. I waited with him. And when he seems to be responding more, i lifted him up and carried him home.
the doggo who loves walkies, he asked me to stop & when i put him down, he walked back home with me. Slowly. He even managed to stop and look at the car that water plants. And sneaked to chomp on a flower petal which i then scoped out from his mouth.
and when we got home, he laid down immediately (which he always do). And when I’ve took off the leash from his collar & wiped his paws, butt and mouth, he went for a drink.
after that, just in minutes, it happened again.
the second seizure. I waited. And it didnt last long. Later on he responded to my mum patting him.
and right now he’s laying down. Except he whines Every now and then for me to pat him.
And i read yesterday this can caused by low blood sugar? So today before we went on walkies, i have him a bit of food. And bit of honey. I guess cookie’s case isn’t due to low blood sugar then.
can i upload video file here ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts