Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking to get a dog door, and was after recommendations for small dogs ? The one that is currently installed in my house (by prior owners) is too big and hits them in the face when they use it (have just closed it off for now so they don't become aversive to it). Both dogs are quite little (Cricket is 3 lb and Pixie is just under 4 lb) and would be 9 inches or so at the shoulder.
Thank you in advance !

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I personally would not use a dog door for tiny, tiny, dogs as they should be supervised when outside, due to predators like hawks and coyotes. A person in my area just lost two dogs, a Chi and a Maltese to a Coyote attack....they left one dead and the other is still missing with only a blood trail going over the fence!! Just sayin!
You might want to inquire about this in your neighborhood and a good place would be to join the Next Door.com in your area! Your neighbors will tell you what they see happening in your area!

On the other hand......
I do not use a dog door anymore as I live in an Apt. now, but when I did, I used the PetSafe brand. ( my dogs were not really little then) They make a variety of doors depending on where you are going to put it (mine was installed in my solid exterior back door) and they carry replacement parts (flaps and covers etc) if you should ever need them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - no coyotes or hawks here (I don’t live in the US ?). Dogs are crated during the day, so it’d just be for when I’m at home.
Thanks !

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like the rubber flap type might be what you need, I'm even wondering if by the size of your dogs a cat door might work.

I swear by my doggy door, I am so busy in my personal life, aka, work, not having to take the two dogs out to potty leaves me more time for actual personal time with them. Plus I live on a busy road and don't have the money to fence in 4 acre so having a large run outside a doggy door for doggy relief needs again free up more time for me to spend with them.

What I did was go to the pet store for my first doggy door, this was pre computer, and found one to fit my dogs at the time, I tend to have mid to large size dogs. Now you can cruise the websites of all your local pet shops as well as ebay, which what I had to do when after 20 years, mine wore out to the point it wouldn't stay shut in high winds, I just found the same model and it was a simple matter of switching it out.

The hardest part will be finding a spot to install the doggy door. You might to be able to retrofit the one you already have. I had to remove a panel in the screen door, cut into the wooden door and reinforce the parts of the wooden door I cut. Fortunately this was all in a breezeway and didn't affect the main house.

If this sways anyone's decision about doggy doors. When I got Roland as a puppy, I went through the taking him out every few hours to housebreak him and this was in the winter. Once he realized big brother Eustace was going down a few steps and through the doggy door, he was housebroken instantly and after only a month of coming here.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
If this sways anyone's decision about doggy doors. When I got Roland as a puppy, I went through the taking him out every few hours to housebreak him and this was in the winter. Once he realized big brother Eustace was going down a few steps and through the doggy door, he was housebroken instantly and after only a month of coming here.
I found this to be true!!!! I also let my older 'potty train' the puppy LOL!!! Monkey see, monkey do, or in this case doodoo!!!!!LOL!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The dog door we have was originally purchased for a greyhound, so it's big. Yet even the 7 lb chihuahua can use it with no problem. The dog door is installed in the utility room door. I installed it myself years ago. It leads to a "dog yard". We do supervise the chihuahua and the mini poo at night just in case a great horned owl comes by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts