Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is like my 4th thread about other dog breeds, but I really like talking about other dog breeds too! I could talk your ear off about dog breeds馃槰, and it's fun to think and talk about what dog breeds are a possibility to get. My mom wants to get another dog for herself and as a playmate for Sisko, but it has to be like a small-large or medium-small dog breed. Something that can handle and keep up with Sisko.

Registered
How about a mini or toy poodle? I can talk peoples heads off about dogs too, you are not the only one. Now don't get me started about bad training methods. Before you get another dog, I would have Captain Sisko already trained all the way, at least his obedience. Otherwise you will have a hard time finishing both of their obedience. If you are thinking really small a blue longhaired deer-head Chihuahua are larger than the average sized ones.

Premium Member
Not yet unless your mother is going to be seriously invested in training the dog, in which case I would suggest an mpoo on the larger side.

Registered
I could talk your ear off about dog breeds馃槰, and it's fun to think and talk about what dog breeds are a possibility to get.
No worries, I鈥檓 the exact same way 馃槃 (literally memorized an entire dog breed encyclopedia my parents got me when I was 7, lol). I know I mentioned Borders in the other thread, but what about a Basset hound? Or an Alaskan Klee Kai? You could also go for a Corgi. Is your mom going to be the primary care taker? How active is she?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
How about a mini or toy poodle? I can talk peoples heads off about dogs too, you are not the only one. Now don't get me started about bad training methods. Before you get another dog, I would have Captain Sisko already trained all the way, at least his obedience. Otherwise you will have a hard time finishing both of their obedience. If you are thinking really small a blue longhaired deer-head Chihuahua are larger than the average sized ones.
I think a mini would be great! But it all depends on if my mom and brothers will help take care of it. I do all of Sisko's care. All of it. I'm glad I'm not the only who will talk people's ear off about dogs馃槅. That's so cute that you called him Captain Sisko馃槶 Yeah I should train him all the way first. Sisko could be a roll model! I love deer-headed Chihuahuas! But my mom doesn't really care for them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
No worries, I鈥檓 the exact same way 馃槃 (literally memorized an entire dog breed encyclopedia my parents got me when I was 7, lol). I know I mentioned Borders in the other thread, but what about a Basset hound? Or an Alaskan Klee Kai? You could also go for a Corgi. Is your mom going to be the primary care taker? How active is she?
Awesome!馃槃 What book was it? My mom said that the basset hound is too big. She wants to know if the Alasken Klee Kai acts like a Husky. She doesn't want a Corgi anymore after learning about potential back problems. Yes she is! I would say we need a breed for moderate activity person.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I've met some very sweet Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. And I'd personally love a Havanese.
Did you steal them? I have liked them ever since watching Too Cute on Animal Planet. They would probably be a great fit! We love Havanese too. Are you going to get one as your next dog? I have never asked you this, but do you like cats?

Super Moderator
Did you steal them? I have liked them ever since watching Too Cute on Animal Planet. They would probably be a great fit! We love Havanese too. Are you going to get one as your next dog? I have never asked you this, but do you like cats?
I had two cats when I was a kid, and they were such characters and beloved family members. But I don't think I'd ever have one again. Litter boxes aren't my favourite thing. ;)

And I do hope to have a Havanese one day. I might need a few lifetimes for all the dogs I want!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I had two cats when I was a kid, and they were such characters and beloved family members. But I don't think I'd ever have one again. Litter boxes aren't my favourite thing. ;)

And I do hope to have a Havanese one day. I might need a few lifetimes for all the dogs I want!
Awwww! Yeah, litter boxes are gross 馃槤

I would help you find a breeder if you want!

Registered
Depends on a few factors.
How much exercise can your mum provide? Trainability, does she want a dog that鈥檚 fairly easy to train? What type of coat does she prefer, Double, smooth, silky/long, wire/broken or wool/wool mix? And how often can she groom? Daily, every few days or weekly.

Registered
No worries, I鈥檓 the exact same way 馃槃 (literally memorized an entire dog breed encyclopedia my parents got me when I was 7, lol).
Me too 馃槀 If we pass an unfamiliar breed, I name it and state what it was bred for. It鈥檚 like my own game, with one player.. and no prize 馃槓 ... My oh calls me a geek 馃槀

Registered
We are actually getting a shih tzu in September. As I've mentioned in the past our boxer passed away due to a brain stem tumor. He was my daughters dog, he was in part of big part of her emotional support. She has been depressed since his passing and has felt a failure in her life's endeavors. Last weekend we visited a breeder about an hour from us saw her dogs and one litter that is already sold. We have had shih tzu before and lost our last one about 6 years ago. Other than grooming they are sturdy little dogs that really like nothing more than to sleep on your lap or cuddle , they love to play and will do the "shih tzu 500" by racing around a few laps around the house. then going to sleep. At first we wanted another boxer (couldn't find a well bred one) or another st. or mini poodle. She felt the grooming would be too expensive for her and doesn't have the time. She has managed the shih tzu grooming and I can too, after 20 years you learn. lol So we will be getting a little boy hopefully in September.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Depends on a few factors.
How much exercise can your mum provide? Trainability, does she want a dog that鈥檚 fairly easy to train? What type of coat does she prefer, Double, smooth, silky/long, wire/broken or wool/wool mix? And how often can she groom? Daily, every few days or weekly.
I need to ask that. She wants a dog that is easy to train. I don't think that she has a preference for coat type, but won't get any dog that needs to be hand stripped I think. Maybe every few days, but weekly would probably be best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Me too 馃槀 If we pass an unfamiliar breed, I name it and state what it was bred for. It鈥檚 like my own game, with one player.. and no prize 馃槓 ... My oh calls me a geek 馃槀
No prize either for me 馃槓 The only prize is if you get to pet the dog!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
We are actually getting a shih tzu in September. As I've mentioned in the past our boxer passed away due to a brain stem tumor. He was my daughters dog, he was in part of big part of her emotional support. She has been depressed since his passing and has felt a failure in her life's endeavors. Last weekend we visited a breeder about an hour from us saw her dogs and one litter that is already sold. We have had shih tzu before and lost our last one about 6 years ago. Other than grooming they are sturdy little dogs that really like nothing more than to sleep on your lap or cuddle , they love to play and will do the "shih tzu 500" by racing around a few laps around the house. then going to sleep. At first we wanted another boxer (couldn't find a well bred one) or another st. or mini poodle. She felt the grooming would be too expensive for her and doesn't have the time. She has managed the shih tzu grooming and I can too, after 20 years you learn. lol So we will be getting a little boy hopefully in September.
Awwww! Congratulations!馃帀馃帀馃帀馃帀馃帀

I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has been depressed ever since his passing. I know how and what that feels like, it's very hard.

They sound great! "Shih Tsu 500" 馃槀 lol. I'm glad you guys will be getting another dog soon. Did you guys tell Renn that he will have a baby brother yet?

Registered
She wants to know if the Alasken Klee Kai acts like a Husky.
It鈥檚 like a smaller version of a Husky. It was bred to be a companion dog, rather than working, so it鈥檚 supposedly much less stubborn, and aren鈥檛 as likely to need a job to be happy. I actually haven鈥檛 met any personally, but totally want one someday. Here鈥檚 a video and an article from some people who know more than me:
Video on pros and cons
Article about the Klee Kai
Website of the official association

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
It鈥檚 like a smaller version of a Husky. It was bred to be a companion dog, rather than working, so it鈥檚 supposedly much less stubborn, and aren鈥檛 as likely to need a job to be happy. I actually haven鈥檛 met any personally, but totally want one someday. Here鈥檚 a video and an article from some people who know more than me:
Video on pros and cons
Article about the Klee Kai
Website of the official association
Okay, cool! Thank you, so much! I have only seen one and it lives (I'm not sure if they still live here) but I never got to meet it. Please let me know when you get one!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts