Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobby has never been a particularly fast eater for which I am grateful for. Some days he would eat with a little more gusto and he is actually still food motivated for training ( tasty treats of course). Now that he just recently turned 2, I have noticed he’s eats slower and hardly touching his snacks anymore. His snacks, which are typically kibble in some sort of dispensing puzzle or toy just aren’t as interesting. We’ve given him snacks because he is one of those dogs that barfs bile when his tummy is too empty. Do you think it’s just because he’s done physically growing? I’m thinking by now he’s no longer putting on muscle and he has been the same height for over a year. He looks great and I don’t want to make more of this than what it is. He‘s eating, just way more laid back about it, slower and a lesser amount. It’s like now he eats to live now rather than living to eat. I’ve read that some poodles are picky. I wouldn’t say he is picky although I’m sure if I put down a big bowl of cooked meat he’d a bit eat more quickly. 😉 I don’t want to make a picky poodle but yet if there is a possible issue I would want to look into it. I suppose he could be bored with his food but I don’t want to start down a path of worrying about his food if I don’t have to. Everything else is great. He’s his total normal poodle self. Are there other slow eaters out there and do they eat less when they are physically mature? Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I free fed Magnum because he would not eat enough at one sitting. It worked fine for him and he kept a good weight.

And yes, they will eat a little less when they are no longer growing. Just feed the best food you can afford.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Our previous dogs were such hearty eaters throughout their entire lives. I didn’t really notice any change (other than the typical puppy growing up changes) with them until they were senior dogs and neither was ever as slow of an eater as Bobby so just wanted to get some opinions. I am so fascinated by his eating so slowly and almost delicately as I’ve never known a dog who eats this way. Most dogs I’ve known have the opposite approach...inhale! He’s so proper about it all. 😉
I do think he has just leveled off. I’m a huge fan of regular meals for several reasons but may for sure consider free feeding if I feel he isn’t getting enough. So far I think he is but that definitely could change. I will keep an eye on things for sure. It’s winter too so maybe he just isn’t burning quite as many calories either.

·
Registered
Dobby
3 Posts
I had this with all the dogs, after 3 years, somewhere they began to eat more slowly, but it also depended on the food for me. There was food that they ate quickly, there were those that they ate slowly

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
I think as long as Bobby’s body condition isn’t changing, it’s probably not an issue.

Peggy had a big growth spurt shortly before Christmas and she was eating like a horse. Now she’s back to just grabbing an occasional mouthful of kibble while she’s on her way to do other things.

I actually love this about poodles.

Gracie was the same until Cushing’s flipped her appetite switch and she became insatiable. That was hard to watch. But it was accompanied by other symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts