Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Again Friends!
Have a little problem and wondering if you do too?
Lincoln slobbers his water all over my kitchen EVERY time he drinks. There is a large wet water trail and puddles that follow him across my floors multiple times a day. I guess he doesn't lick his lips after he drinks. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
All of my dogs do this too.
Also when Dima is drinking she is such a rush that the water spits out of her mouth again very lady like :p

I solved the problem buy moving the water dish to the garage that is connected to the house and always open for them. there they can slobber at will.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe! I am glad it's not just him! I have never seen a dog so sloppy with water before...... It doesn't "go" with his regal look!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have one neat drinker and the rest trail it all over the house too. I have a lixit on the water spigot out back so they can do most of their drinking outside when they go potty and I only put water down inside after their meals it keeps the mess down.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think a very slick face helps- any beardage drips unmercifully (on another note, Bella has learned to open the toilet seat- ew! I need a heavy wood one, I guess!) And yes, there are water bowls all over the place.

Once Bella opens it, it's a free for all until I see a trail from the bathroom (glad I have tile floors!). Why is toilet water so danged appealling to dogs? The height thing, maybe?

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
One of my friends has several dogs who forget to swallow the last mouthful and just walk away, water dribbling out both sides of their mouth. She finds they are much less messy when they use a dog water fountain instead of a bucket or water dish. The bowl on her fountain is very shallow, so the dogs have to lick the water up instead of slurping. They dribble less because they put less into their mouths at one time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Oh Glader thinks this is so cool!!! The day I got him I stopped for gas and let him have a drink. He drank his fill and on the last one he didn't swallow but let it dribble out. He watched it and looked up at me like "OMG!!! Did you see that!!! Ha!!!" Now he does it every time. Luckily he is so amused by it that he stands over the water bowl and watches it drip out of his mouth. :loco:

·
Registered
90 Posts
One of the four spoos I have owned, the male, did this his whole life. He was a big guy and liked to drink his water with gusto. I just kept a large towel near the water dish. I always thought it was because he had an underbite.:doh:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Claire makes such a mess when she drinks, we call it "Lake Claire" around the water bowl in the kitchen when she's been in there drinking. Ellie outgrew it at around 6 months, but evidently Claire isn't gonna do that. She just walks off after she's done drinking, letting it dribble out of her mouth all over the tile floors.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've never really appreciated the lack of water around the water bowl. After reading these posts, now I do!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I enjoyed all the stories, but am still chuckling over "Lake Claire!" lol My girls are neat, my male . . .not so much! Same with eating. Sometimes, I hand feed things like yogurt or cottage cheese with a spoon, just so his ears stay clean! My kids roll their eyes, but, he's very tidy and neat eating off the spoon, so I say, do what works!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, I'm sure this topic has come up at least two other times too; it seems poodles are prone to doing this, and yes Paris does it too!!!! The last mouthful gets slopped allllll over the place, and the problem is the almost always goes back to the water bowl at least three times, so there's three mouthfuls spread around. *sigh*

·
Registered
362 Posts
My Spoos are pretty clean with the water, but Indy drops food all over the place. I find food in my bedroom and the livingroom and now I see ants. I can't keep up with his dribbling food. But now Ilusion cleans the floor up after he eats, I love it, she is my floor cleaner.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My spoo puppy gets water every where when she drinks.:doh: The thing she dose that i just cant stand is when she has a stuff toy in her mouth and gose to get a drink she just drops the toy right in the water. She thin gets a drink with her toy in the water. When she is done drinking she picks her toy up and plays with it.Getting water every where.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Billy used to get water all over from my kitchen to the living room. And, Brandy was almost as bad. Now that Billy is older, he has stopped making such a mess. I don't know why this happened but I sure am happy that it did. I have two throw rugs under the water bowl (large one that the cats drink out of too) so that it at least keeps the wet confined to that area now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One of my friends has several dogs who forget to swallow the last mouthful and just walk away, water dribbling out both sides of their mouth. She finds they are much less messy when they use a dog water fountain instead of a bucket or water dish. The bowl on her fountain is very shallow, so the dogs have to lick the water up instead of slurping. They dribble less because they put less into their mouths at one time.
Sorry, what is a water fountain?

ok, i googled it and see! THANKS!!

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
She originally got the fountain because it has a two gallon capacity. The water fountain was originally a solution to the problem of keeping water available for the whole pack. She's got a lot of dogs ranging in size from tiny to huge. The little dogs are too small to drink out of buckets. The big dogs would drain the bowls dry if she used shallow dishes. The fountain was a compromise- shallow enough for the shorties, and enough capacity for the big dogs. The no dribble effect was a happy side benefit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts