Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a poodle that slobbers? I saw slobber mentioned in another thread, and I couldn鈥檛 picture a poodle with slobber- which of course made me think it might be more of a thing with standards. No offense, Spoos 馃槃

My best guess is no one is slobbering unless their person is a really good cook.

Registered
Anyone have a poodle that slobbers? I saw slobber mentioned in another thread, and I couldn鈥檛 picture a poodle with slobber- which of course made me think it might be more of a thing with standards. No offense, Spoos 馃槃

My best guess is no one is slobbering unless their person is a really good cook.
No slobber here- Gracie has a very dry mouth actually.
She is a miniature.

Super Moderator
My spoo boys would slobber if they were running and playing really hard, especially if they took breaks to get a drink before going back to running and wrestling. Yuck, hardened slobber in fluffy poodle ear hair.

Registered
Basil's slobber is self contained pretty well, I give it a 9/10. When you hand feed her then the tips of your fingers might get a thin coating, but that's about it. It's no where close to a mastiff level of slobber.

Like what @cowpony mentioned -- When she's and a playdate are playing, then drinking, then playing, then drinking, then their
backs gets a little wet. But, I think that's expected.

Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
When Fenris plays with other puppies, he slobbers all over them. Or maybe they slobber all over him? They all end up unbelievably wet for a playdate that is not near the water. This happens with doddles too. He hasn't had the opportunity to play with many poodles. Otherwise, it's just minimal slobber unless messy drinking counts.

Registered

ahem..No slobber per standard poodle, lol now my boxer was another story. I have yet to see a poodle of any size that slobbers. LOL

Registered
No slobber. Ever. We had a relatively dry mouth Saint so I know slobber! I recall literally having strings of it on my jeans and keeping a towel nearby to wipe her mouth.

Worst with my poodle is maybe a slightly wet mouth after drinking.

Agree with Raindrops - I have to be very careful with Annie and oral health because I don't think the saliva circulates well.

Registered
No slobber. Ever. We had a relatively dry mouth Saint so I know slobber! I recall literally having strings of it on my jeans and keeping a towel nearby to wipe her mouth.

Worst with my poodle is maybe a slightly wet mouth after drinking.

Agree with Raindrops - I have to be very careful with Annie and oral health because I don't think the saliva circulates well.
Interesting you have the same issue. Saliva is what helps to flush teeth and keep them clean and also strengthens enamel, so it makes sense that a dog without much saliva would have dental issues. It just means I have to be on top of things. I do loooove the lack of icky drippy mouth though.

Registered
I never thought about the connection between saliva and dental health with dogs but it sure does make sense. Bobby鈥檚 teeth are good as a whole but I think down the road he will definitely need professional cleaning based on how hard it is to keep his back teeth clean. Our Great Dane definitely slobbered a lot and that boy had gorgeous teeth his whole life!

Registered
I鈥檝e never known a poodle to slobber. It鈥檚 a trade off. Friends with dog that slobber a lot like Newfoundland retrievers tell me that stuff ruins finishes on furniture and wood floors. I鈥檝e seen puddles left by Newfies. Poodles that don鈥檛 slobber have more dental problems.

Registered
Interesting you have the same issue. Saliva is what helps to flush teeth and keep them clean and also strengthens enamel, so it makes sense that a dog without much saliva would have dental issues. It just means I have to be on top of things. I do loooove the lack of icky drippy mouth though.
Exactly. Regular opportunity to chew raw meaty bones seems to keep it under control, but before that I thought she would need a cleaning when she was spayed at 18 months.

Registered
I have never known a poodle to slobber, but I have seen a few that drip water after drinking. Our corgi makes such a mess when drinking that I think he gets more on the floor than in his mouth! Part of his problem might be that he had a bunch of teeth removed before he came to live with us. Our beagles never drooled or dripped water.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the interesting exchange of thoughts on slobber. Violet is poking me with her nose to make me say she does not slobber, but I don鈥檛 know. Just this week I popped a treato into her mouth and my fingers got wet.

Strings of saliva though, yeesh. I don鈥檛 want to live with that. It鈥檚 bad enough when a dog tracks in a slug for me to step on.

I have also had the experience of raw bones keeping canine teeth sparkling clean (my aussies long ago). Since then I鈥檝e taken microbiology and I can鈥檛 get past the human need for a dog bath and a floor scrub afterwards.

Administrator
I suspect the slobber comment that prompted this may have been the work of a spammer. But my apologies to them if not the case.

Peggy is definitely not the slobbery type, but I might see (and feel! ick!) a little something shiny if I鈥檓 feeding her a bit of string cheese. She really, really, really loves it, and she knows there鈥檚 usually more coming.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.