Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, our little toy Sophie, as just been diagnosed with slippy kneecap. Poor little girl has been in a lot of pain, but is settling now with anti-inflammatory meds. She`s 5 and not overweight. She has always been keen to run chasing her ball and leap from bed to porch.. Recent new walks seem to have caused the problem. Any advice please?

·
Premium Member
23,618 Posts
That is properly referred to as a luxating patella so you can find info online if you want to search for it aside from here. Toy poodles are more prone to it than other sizes of poodles. If you look around PF you will find there are several people with tpoos who have had to deal with this condition. Until you have a plan about what your treatment options are I would definitely discourage lots of jumping on and off the furniture.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My mini poos and my daughter’s toy poodle have all had some degree of luxating patella. My previous mini poodle would aggravate it and have to take meds and rest. We were told to teach him not to jump. Those were most likely mild cases. My 1year old puppy has a grade 4–very noticeable —and will require surgery. The other two poodles had less severe cases and never needed any surgery !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts