Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,200 Posts
Why do you think you need a slip leash? For a small puppy I think most people are going to suggest a harness or a martingale.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I agree with Lily cd re. Why are you planning to use a slip leash on a puppy. You could cause permanent damage to your puppies neck if it’s not used correctly and tightens too tightly

I have a minipoo and I didn’t start using a slip leash until she was about 2 years old AND I only use it in agility where I go into the ring and need to remove her leash quickly in order to run the course. She knows when I put her slip leash on that we’re going to run in agility. I have many different leashes for different dog sports, training and walking to potty. The only time I use the slip is agility and it’s only on briefly.

To protect the delicate neck of a minipoo puppy I would choose a harness. Or use a martingale if you want a collar.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Personally, I would not use a slip lead on a mini because of the potential for the trachea to grow incorrectly, and for damage to the neck. As lily cd re and skylar said, a harness is your best bet with a small dog.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Yes, definitely a harness for small dogs like a mini. It won’t cause damage to your dog’s neck and trachea, even if they pull.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
We've almost never used a collar on Mom's 11 lb dog... And she still has trachea issues. I personally wouldn't risk even a martingale on a mini puppy until they are very, very good at walking on leash politely.

You may have issues finding a martingale that fits - I used one on my spoo who liked to slip her collar, and her 5 month old martingale size was the smallest I could find, and still too big for a mini.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
As a perpetual mini owner, I'm in the harness camp for the early months, at a minimum. I used several types of choke free harness til they were around 2 and a half years old. My favorites of the harness styles were these super easy on/off, slightly adjustable ones:
VelPro harness

I switched to a nylon martingale at that time.
Country Brook Petz heavy duty 3/4"

I only use collars outside, not in the house for safety reasons. I now use crash tested safety harness for car travel and have their collars on for ID while out and about.

Kurgo Enhanced Tru-Fit

·
Super Moderator
1,498 Posts
I've seen wide martingales for Italian greyhounds on Etsy. They distribute the pressure more than a regular collar. Even so, I wouldn’t use one on a puppy at all, and I'd be very cautious about using one on an adult. Even if the dog has perfect leash manners, there is no guarantee a careless human or a larger dog won't blunder into the leash.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a perpetual mini owner, I'm in the harness camp for the early months, at a minimum. I used several types of choke free harness til they were around 2 and a half years old. My favorites of the harness styles were these super easy on/off, slightly adjustable ones:
VelPro harness
View attachment 467946
View attachment 467947

I switched to a nylon martingale at that time.
Country Brook Petz heavy duty 3/4"
View attachment 467948

I only use collars outside, not in the house for safety reasons. I now use crash tested safety harness for car travel and have their collars on for ID while out and about.

Kurgo Enhanced Tru-Fit
View attachment 467949

1 - 12 of 12 Posts