Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I've been lurking around this forum for the past few weeks and thought I would introduce myself and tell my story.

I had two poodles when I was growing up - one who came from a pet store (and was probably the result of a puppy mill) and another from a breeder. We never intended to be a poodle family. My mom didn't even intend to come home with our first poodle but she said that he was speaking to her with his eyes and she couldn't leave the store without him.

In college, I thought I was grown and responsible enough for my own dog (even though I was a full time student, living on my own, and all the activities that came along with that). I saved up my money and bought a toy poodle - Toby - from a backyard breeder (who, while maybe not the highest quality breeder, was lovely and cared about her dogs). Even though he wasn't the runt of the litter and his parents were pretty typical toy size, he never cracked 3.5lbs his whole life. We always joked that he had a growth deficiency.

I did the best I could to train him, not having a clue what I was doing. He really didn't need much training and practically house trained himself. Although he did get away with his fair share of bad behavior because of his small size. I had been dating my then boyfriend, now husband for about six months when I brought Toby home.

He had many nicknames - Face, Tobyface, Little, Stinky, Stinker face, Little bit, Cheese brain, Monster face, Toblerone, Toby monster cheese head face dog. Over his nearly 15 years, he was my constant companion and went everywhere with us. Toby loved the beach (the hot sand part, not the cold water part). He stole socks and secreted them away to his bed. He and my husband played a game every night called “Hop On Pop” where, as soon as he laid down in bed, Toby would hop up on his chest and lick his face until he made him stop. He loved chasing the bunny rabbits in the yard (though we never knew what he would do if he caught one, considering they were ALL bigger than him). He barked at his food, constantly. He loved warm laundry and sunny spots on the floor. He didn’t care much for dog toys. He had his own song (“Face to Call Home” by John Mayer, thanks to his nickname of “Face”). I was required to bring a glass of water to bed every night so he could have some. He couldn’t stand to be cold and could normally be found in his heated bed or on our heating blanket, especially as he got older and his joints bothered him more. He smelled like home.

We had to say a very difficult goodbye to him one month ago yesterday. About 3 months earlier, we discovered that he had a mass on his liver, but didn’t know quite what it was. He was put on so many medications, it was hard to keep track of them. He had never been much of an eater but his appetite disappeared, causing him to lose nearly 1/3 of his body weight and become so, so weak. A follow up ultrasound found an additional mass near his stomach, likely cancer and the cause of his lack of appetite. It was in an inoperable location so we made the extremely hard decision to let him go.

Our many, many vet visits during the time of COVID were interesting and difficult. There was a lot of time spent just waiting in the car, hoping for good news. When the time came, we asked if we could let him go outside instead of in the cold, sterile 24/7 animal hospital where he got his last ultrasound - where they (very understandably) required masks and gloves. I wanted my baby to be able to see my face and I wanted to be able to pet his little ears one last time. They were lovely and brought everything necessary outside to a little picnic table under several big oak trees in the parking lot. It was in the early evening so there weren't too many cars left in the lot and it was surprisingly peaceful.

I’ll be forever grateful for the unexpected blessing of extra time with him thanks to the pandemic. We spent his last two months with him nearly every hour of every day. There were lots of cuddles, kisses, peanut butter, and time spent outside together in the sunshine. While we’re happy he’s no longer sick, we’re very, very sad and miss him terribly.

Poodles are truly special dogs. I love pretty much all dogs but I can't imagine owning any other breed. They're smart, intuitive, goofy, mischievous, playful, loving, and beautiful. It's been tough not having one around. While we're not ready right away, we're in the beginning stages of our hunt for our next poodle as it seems wait lists with breeders are lengthy. We definitely want a larger dog and are most interested in a medium/moyen sized poodle. I've put my name in with a few breeders on the east coast (but welcome any recommendations!). We're hoping for a puppy in the fall as I can't imagine our life without a little floof around. It's been a long time since I raised a puppy so the advice and stories in this forum have been a good start for my research. There's a lot that I'll do differently this time (better and more formal training being top of the list).

I just wanted to thank this forum for being a good way to cope as I've worked through my grief over losing Toby. And while he will always be my first baby, I'm cautiously excited about bringing another bundle of poodle into our lives in the near future.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
What lovely pictures of Toby. He was clearly very loved. Hopefully the forum will be a good resource when your heart is ready to add another. There is loads to read in stickied threads and past threads.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Welcome to PF! Thank you for sharing your photos and heartwarming stories about Toby. He looks like he never stopped smiling. Cheers to him and a life well lived.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and I'm so sorry for your loss. It always hurts so...Wht lovely pictures and memories you have. He was such a cute lil guy!

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Toby sounds like an absolute darling. I think there is always something extra special about your first "own" dog, and he will always have a large part of your heart. I know something of what you have been through - my Poppy has liver failure, cause so far unknown, and while she is doing very well so far I know it has brought the time of saying goodbye closer than it might otherwise have been. I am glad there was a silver lining to the pandemic, and you did not have to leave him through the last precious months.

I hope there is comfort in the many good memories, and in feeling everything Toby taught you is helping to guide you in your search for the next dog. There can be few better memorials to a beloved dog than wanting to share all the love and knowledge they brought with another pup.

Reactions: Porkchop

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
From your pictures it looks like he had a great life with you. It also sounds like you did wonderfully with his health problems at the end. When you are ready I am sure you will find another great pup and have a good long life together. If you let us know when you are ready and some other info like what size poodle you want this time out, where you are located and such I am sure with our collective knowledge we can help you find that new baby.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Welcome to you all, and to your wonderful memories and your beautiful dreams. Toby sounds a blessing in life and he will wish the same for your new companion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From your pictures it looks like he had a great life with you. It also sounds like you did wonderfully with his health problems at the end. When you are ready I am sure you will find another great pup and have a good long life together. If you let us know when you are ready and some other info like what size poodle you want this time out, where you are located and such I am sure with our collective knowledge we can help you find that new baby.
Thanks, Lily! While we're not ready right this instant, I don't want an empty house too long and we are in the beginning stages of our hunt for our next poodle. From the research I've done thus far, wait lists with breeders are lengthy. We definitely want a larger dog and are most interested in a medium/moyen sized or small standard poodle. We know it's a big jump from 3.5lbs to 30-40lbs but Toby was always a little too small for our lifestyle. We've also had my brother's 60lb dog staying with us some and we're excited to have a larger dog.

I've put my name in with a few breeders on the east coast as we're located in Virginia and willing to drive. We'd really like a puppy in the fall but by the end of this year at least. We're gender/color agnostic and are more interested in finding a well socialized puppy from a reputable breeder who cares about the breed. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations that you or others might have! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You might reach out to Gloria at Tintlet in Western NC. She and her daughter bred standards and now breed minis, but the main reason I suggest contacting her is that she is active in the poodle world and well connected. She may be able to point you to a breeder with an upcoming litter.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome.

Anyone who can love a dog that much deserves another. It's my belief that all the love we give a dog comes back to us.

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
My east coast recommendations include Javelin's breeder, Delana Severs of Madela Poodles in Connecticut near New Haven. Also check in with Linda Hamilton of Scheherazade in New Jersey. Aslo true moyens and very hard to find in the US as they are not a recognized size here. Avoid intervariety breedings (mini to standard to get a down sized dog). As an FYI show spoo breeders don't generally try to produce "royal" or huge spoos. Javelin is a Mikimoto grandsone and has never weighed more than about 49 pounds and at that weight he was a little chunky. Right now he is about 45 pounds and that seems to be his set point since to get any more weight on him I have to give him a generous handful of satin balls as a third meal. I prefer for him to be a little lean since he needs to jump cleanly at a 24" jump height. He measures exactly 24" at the withers. He is also while not as big as many spoos I see actually clearly taller than my 22 3/4" 37 pound girl (from a different breeder, sadly no longer producing).

Reactions: Porkchop

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
I loved reading about your life with Toby. It reminded me so much of getting my little Gracie in my 20s. A very special bond.

Toby's photos really tug at my heart strings... An adorable, expressive boy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey to your next poodle. I made a similar size jump, so happy to answer any questions you might have. :) Welcome to Poodle Forum!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. Looks like he had a wonderful life and got to go on many adventures! He had a great smile. Even when they live a long life, it's hard to let go. I lost my oldest when she was a little over 17 five years ago, and last week I was really struggling with missing her. For me, though, it has helped having other dogs fill a place in my heart since losing her.

I wish you luck with your poodle search. This forum can give you some guidance on finding your next fur baby. :)

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
So Sorry for your loss - but in time you may find the perfect poodle partner. The treasured memories of Toby will always be with you.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry for your loss, he looks like a sweetie. I believe Farley’s D and Piccolo Poodles are here on the East Coast and pass the general requirements. They both breed Standards. As Lily cd re said, you might have a difficult time finding the Moyen size here, as Poodles in general are not common, so you might have to go further West if you really, really want one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank you so much everyone for your warm welcome and kinds words about Toby. He was truly a special little guy and we miss him dearly. It's hard being stuck in quarantine without much distraction to take our minds off the empty spot where his bed should be.

What IS helping me take my mind off missing Toby is the search for our next pup. I have feelers out to a few breeders on the east coast - including Green-Heart Land Poodles in NC, Rosebud Standard Poodles in PA, and Virginia Coast Poodles in VA. I've seen some discussion on this forum about Rosebud Poodles but does anyone have any experience with the other two? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
Here are two quotes directly from the Green Heart-Lands web site:

We are a family-owned business without a store-front. Because of our low overhead we can offer puppies at a substantial discount than what you would find at a pet store or elsewhere

and

We strive to breed properly; the "Doodle" will have a low-non shedding coat, will have an even tempered/low-medium active personality.

If you haven't already, check out the thread on buying a puppy. Buying a puppy safely - the basics

1 - 20 of 22 Posts