Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I am thinking of biting the bullet, and splurging on a really nice slicker brush---does anyone have any recommendations?? Cricket's skin is a bit sensitive, and she really hates the slicker brush. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I have a couple of the Chris Christiansen slicker brushes (a small one and a medium one) They seem to work well for the dogs - Meau will get small mats and the CC slickers get them out pretty easily. I've yet to find a mat on Lucy, but I brush and comb her pretty frequently, so I don't think they've had a chance to form... I use the small CC slicker on Lucy because she's still a baby and even her big areas of coat aren't very big! :)

I'm pretty careful when I use any slicker brush and, although I make sure I can SEE the skin, I try very hard not to SCRAPE the skin with the brush - I just lift the hair when I brush (if that makes any sense...) I lift the hair away from the skin so the slicker brush can go through the hair but doesn't really touch the sensitive skin... :wacko: I know... I'm confusing!!!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The best slicker bushes in my opinion are ones you can take across your own skin comfortably. Unfortunately you can't do that with buying things online, and I've shopped in stores where brushes of the same brand felt differently. I hope my slicker brush never bites the dust, the bristles are really gentle and strong. Many dogs don't mind it.

You could fluff the hair up with a comb first, then take the slicker over it?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I comb first. Any good prong comb I found effective. I purchase mine at the pet stores. I fluff with the slicker afterwards and also buy mine at the pet stores.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used a few different brands, but I've never felt it necessary to go for the more expensive ones.. I think the one I like best cost less than 10 bucks.. I agree with others, soft slickers are best and it's hard to judge until you've actually touched the brush. A huge thing is technique. The brush shouldn't be contacting the skin directly with any real pressure, you have to get comfortable using a light pressure to avoid irritation to the skin. Brushing in layers is most effective and also gives you a good view of the skin and a thick pad of hair beneath the brush that helps to protect the skin you can't see underneath. It's a little difficult to describe without being able to show someone.. But soft slicker is key. And just because it's labeled a soft slicker doesn't mean it is. You should always try the slicker on your skin first and experiment with different pressures to see what kind of pressure actually starts to become uncomfortable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a couple of the Chris Christiansen slicker brushes (a small one and a medium one) They seem to work well for the dogs - Meau will get small mats and the CC slickers get them out pretty easily. I've yet to find a mat on Lucy, but I brush and comb her pretty frequently, so I don't think they've had a chance to form... I use the small CC slicker on Lucy because she's still a baby and even her big areas of coat aren't very big! :)

I'm pretty careful when I use any slicker brush and, although I make sure I can SEE the skin, I try very hard not to SCRAPE the skin with the brush - I just lift the hair when I brush (if that makes any sense...) I lift the hair away from the skin so the slicker brush can go through the hair but doesn't really touch the sensitive skin... :wacko: I know... I'm confusing!!!
I totally agree! I have found that with this brush I do not have as much breakage or damaged hair from lots of use as I have witnessed with some of those you can pick up at Petsmart or other big pet stores. Your best bet is to talk to a groomer who really focusses on poodles. Poodles hair is completely different and needs a special type of care, in my opinion at least because they are their own very unique and special breed, haha. But just get a brush that doesn't hurt your skin and doesnt seem to do any damage to the hair after a while of usage.
Goodluck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts