Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and haven't found specifics on slicker brushes but I am in search of a nice slicker brush for Mr. Rudy boy. I anticipate having this brush for a long time so any and all recommendations are welcome and I apologize if this is a redundant post. CC? Where to order?

Also, I've used LePouch shampoo on him and liked how it left his coat but any recommendations from you black poodle owners? Do you use conditioner? Rudy has a soft to the touch coat that is super thick. He has enough hair that I can keep his top knot fairly long too! So, conditioning wouldn't make it floppy I don't think.
Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My absolutely positively favourite slicker brush, both as a professional groomer and owner of a former show dog who I'm keeping in longer/stylish trims, is the christ christiansen medium coral slicker. The long pics really get down into the coat so easily and yet it's a fairly soft brush on the skin. I virtually use nothing else on all my client dogs and on my dogs.
As for conditioner, I don't use any conditioner on my poodle. I bath him about every week-2 weeks so he doesn't get any real tangles or matts and I want to keep his texture as he can lean towards being a bit soft.
The only reason I might use conditioner is if I kept a topknot long enough that it needed to be banded, or if I kept long ears (my boy's ears are shaved). The other reason is during coat change some dogs need the additional help of a conditioner (though sometimes TOO much conditioner is not helpful in that situation either)

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I primarily use a pin brush on my mini girl as I get down to the skin easier on her long jacket..........I DO own a slicker (#1 Systems brand) but just don't use it much. My pin brush is a Bass brush in the medium oval size and I also have a tiny Chris Christensen 'little wonder' pin brush for her tiny legs and poofs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts