Poodle Forum banner

Sleepypod issues

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Poodlebeguiled 
#1 ·
I know there are some Sleepypod users on this forum! Miracle got car sick in her carrier a week ago, and because it was impossible to clean, I decided to order a new one. I know the Sleepypod is expensive, but because she is a smaller dog, I thought I would try it because I love the safety features. So, it arrived today and it is perfect (right size, seems durable) except for one thing...the fabric in the inside has a super strong chemical odor. I have already emailed the company concerning this issue, but I am wondering if anyone else experienced this when buying one? Not acceptable given the price of these carriers.

#3 ·
I have one and it had no strong chemical odor. I would be upset if it did and ask for a replacement.

I agree with you, at that price is shouldn’t have an obnoxious odor. If you don’t find them responsive, some people have more luck contacting companies on Facebook or other social media.

Reactions: Dogs4Life
#4 ·
I am letting it sit out overnight to see if it helps, but if that doesn't work, it's going back. And yes, thank you, if I don't hear back from them I will try other ways of contacting them. Just hoping someone didn't use it, then clean it and return it. You never know when ordering things online....

#5 ·
let us know what happens, please. have eyed this product for years. hoping success hasn't gone to their heads.

#6 ·
What's it made of? On a hot, sunny day can you take it outside and scrub it with soapy water and hose it off well, let it dry thoroughly? Or would it shrink or something? Does it have any washing instructions? Gosh, I wouldn't go for that strong chemical smell either...even if it airs out....just to think of some noxious stuff in that fabric would worry me. Good luck. I hope it gets rectified.

#8 ·
definitely send it back. i have seen more and more reviews of various items (usually made in china) that say they stink of chemicals. not very inspiring. i would not enclose my pet in a chemical-imbued environment. awful thought.

#9 ·
Exactly. If I wouldn't want to be enclosed in that case and smell that for a 2 hour car ride, I certainly am not putting my dog in it. I truly am disappointed. This is why I hate ordering anything online. I am trying to decide if I will allow them to send a replacement to see if it is any different, or if I feel I am done. Right now I am again stuck with no carrier for my dog :argh:

#10 ·
i used to have a sherpa bag. they're still available, i believe. not as sturdy as a sleepypod, i think, because they're soft-sided. but if you really have to have a carrier, maybe it would be worth looking into one. in the alternative, perhaps do what i have started to - google best pet carrier and see what comes up.

#11 ·
What about one of those kind you see in the pet store? In Petco I've looked at small carriers that have a shoulder strap you can hang on your shoulder. They're nylon with mesh windows and such...really nice. Would that work? Then you can go right in the store and take a sniff. I know it's not as cute as the little round pod things but heck...it still can be carried and used as a comfy place too. I just use a small Vari kennel type crate...molded plastic. But if I wanted something to keep the dog in to carry...something lighter weight would be better...probably like one of these nylon things carrying bag things like the pod or...

I'd try washing it maybe...but on the other hand, that might make it impossible to return if it does something to it and if it doesn't take the smell out that would be terrible. Hmmm...I'm sorry for this dilemma you're having. Hope you figure something out. I'm sure you will.

#12 ·
Thank you both for the suggestions!

I did have a sherpa bag previously and I most likely will go back to that. I had to throw it away after Miracle got car sick because it was just too difficult to clean the parts that couldn't go in the wash (I really tried). I did a lot of research before I bought the Sleepypod and liked that it seemed easier to clean and also was able to be strapped into the car like a carseat. I am going to look around and see what else is available...just avoiding any car trips with her in the mean time. I am moving back to my hometown in a few months, so she will be spending a lot less time in the car...I probably don't need such a fancy carrier anyway.

#13 ·
Oh wow...you have a big move ahead. That is a lot of stress. I just moved a year ago and oh man...don't want to do that anymore. lol.

The one good thing about a molded plastic crate is you can wash it easily. But on the other hand, it's kind of heavy to cart the dog around once you get to where you're going. Maybe you could use that in the car in case she throws up. Then let her walk on her leash or carry her in a thing that is lighter weight once you get there. (?) I never used a soft carrier. I just make 'em walk. Or if I must, I'll carry Maurice. He only weighs 4.7 lbs. But Matisse is a moose at 8.5 lbs. hahaha...too much to carry for too long. Dang. It's too bad that sleepy pod doesn't seem right. It would be neat to be able to attach it to the car's seat plus carry the little dog in it. Is it all nylon? Or is there another material in there too? I'm still just thinking about washing it and if it would work. And if it didn't get the smell out, would it still be returnable? You could maybe try that. (?)

#14 ·
I have had my eye on the Sleepypod Air, so I'm disappointed to hear of your poor experience. Which version and color of the Sleepypod did you get? Have you asked anyone else if it smells strongly to them? That might seem like a weird question, but some folks are more sensitive to odors than others...

I've been interested in the Sleepypod Air because it can be buckled down with the seat belt for safety, it can be used as a carry bag on airplanes, AND maybe my dog would hate it less than the hard-sided crate I currently put him in. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

#15 ·
I've been considering upgrading to Sleepypod. I just googled the search "Sleepypod smell" and found a few Amazon reviews mentioning the smell. Some say it went away in a few days, one person complained that it was still there months later. That person said that Sleepypod customer service was really great and worked with them to make things right.

They are listed as made in China. I've ordered nylon leashes of various lengths off ebay. They all smelled very odd when they arrived but were fine after I washed them. Not sure if it's from something the nylon fabric gets treated with or coincidence.

#16 · (Edited)
How about this? It says it's machine washable. Maybe they mean only the pad inside. But anyhow, I'm liking the looks of this, although it may have the same problem of that new plastic smell. You've gotten me interested in one of these type things. lol. This one is probably airline compliant, though the airlines' specs vary. I don't think the sleepy pod is. They want rectangles so I've read. I never travel but if I ever did, thought it would be prudent to get one that works in airplanes.

https://www.amazon.com/Crash-Tested...7B9GHJSJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Hmmm...just read some of the reviews. Now I'm not so sure. LOL. I do like the idea of being able to strap the thing down well with the seat belt plus the straps over the seat which I can't do with my crates. And that it's been crash tested, as the sleepy pod has.

Holy Moly! I've edited this post a million times. Sleepy pod is $340.00!!! That's too much. I would go for $100 give or take, but not that much. Sleepy pod is out of my comfort range for something like that. Grrrrr. Oh wait! That's for the medium. For a mini I see $161. That's doable. Maybe. But I don't see dimensions. What size did you get? But with two dogs, what does one do with the other dog? LOL. I think I'm going to just forget this whole thing. hahahahaha.

I hope you can figure out whether this smell will go away with a light washing or airing some more or trading it for something else. It's quite unsettling isn't it....when you want to make a safe place for your dog to travel in and so forth and there's always some kind of road block.

#17 ·
Oh no! Look at this review of that rectangle one. This is something I wouldn't have noticed...not enough ventilation and she says it gets downright hot in there. Grrr.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...iewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002Z5VSB8#R1Q7FGZOERWS8U

3.0 out of 5 starsLooks great but POOR ventilation!
May 20, 2018
Verified Purchase
Sadly, I am returning this pet carrier. I was so hopeful after reading reviews of this product -- and I have gone through other carriers with little luck. The Sleepypod Air is SUPER cute and stylish (I bought the strawberry red color). Everything I read in other reviews was true with one (big) exception: it simply doesn't have much ventilation. The sides are completely enclosed, so the mesh is only on the ends and top --BUT the mesh is layered in an off-set manner so it's extremely difficult to see out of it, and it's HOT in there! My dog was too uncomfortable after just a few minutes in it, and I had to take her out because I felt so bad for her. It doesn't help that the faux-fur pad is black and extremely warm too. There's just not enough air flowing through there for my pup, so I exchanged it for the Sherpa Original Deluxe carrier and she's MUCH happier now! She can see all around her, air circulation is great AND the top zipper lets her stick her little head out.

PROS of Sleepypod Air:
Super cute
Nicely made
Outside pockets for storage
Can attach easily to a rolling suitcase
Lightweight

CONS of Sleepypod Air:
Insufficient mesh material for visibility
Insufficient mesh material for ventilation
Pad and sides are warm, making the temperature too hot inside
Too dark inside

#18 ·
Thank you all for the replies.

I bought the Sleepypod Mobile Pet Bed for $190 directly from their website. Because it is so expensive, I won't be washing it to see if that gets rid of the smell because then they might not let me return it. You can buy a mesh ring to put inside instead of using the heavy plush fabric during warmer months, but then of course you have to pay more money. You also have to pay more money if you want the plush fabric to be white instead of black (which might help with the temperature in warmer months). I agree that the ventilation is not as good as other carriers I have seen (and used), but that's due to the safety design.

For anyone considering buying the Sleepypod, I would suggest going through a website like Chewy. I am sure the return process is most likely easier.

I am thinking of just returning to this: https://www.chewy.com/sherpa-original-deluxe-pet-carrier/dp/130210. I can buy one for Jasper and Miracle for less than the cost of the Sleepypod. Not as safe, but practical and useful enough I guess.

#19 ·
I just realized that you bought the carrier. I have a Sleepypod clikit harness.

I have no experience with their carriers....... although to be honest I had really wanted one and was sad that my mini was too tall to fit in them which is why I use the harness instead to secure her in the car.

#20 ·
Dogs 4 Life, it says it has a seat belt strap so at least it can be anchored to the car's seat, right? But not crash tested? Hmm...well, even when those are...like with the Sleepy pod, I have my doubts because it's made out of mesh and nylon. If something came smooshing into the car, that wouldn't be safe. But if it's a case of having to break very hard or even crashing but nothing hitting the dog or his seat, then even the carrier that isn't crash tested would still hold up probably, wouldn't it? I mean, as opposed to something flying around through the car or windshield, this Sherpa can be anchored pretty well it looks like. I like the looks of it. Let us know how it all works out. Yep, I agree....it would be scary to wash the Sleepy pod, then find out they won't take it back. (unless the washing took out the smell.) Good luck.

#21 ·
Poodlebeguiled the testing was using standards set by the government for child seats. I'm not too knowledgeable about the carriers because I bought a harness. For the harness in an accident, the harness must keep the dog on the car seat and all the belts and attachments can't break or open and have to hold securely. Some of the products that failed, failed because what looked like a sturdy webbing, tore. Or the webbing was sturdy but it snapped into a connector which broke. Or the dog was pushed off the car seat due to the forces. They were concerned about the dog being tossed and injured or becoming a potential projectile in the car. What they didn't test was what happens when a projectile in the car hits the carrier or dog in a harness, or a baby in a babyseat for that matter.

https://www.centerforpetsafety.org/

I found it fascinating to read through their website.

Reactions: Poodlebeguiled
#23 ·
Come to think of it...now that you mentioned it, I too got a mattress a few years ago....a memory foam one and it had a horrendously strong odor. So I unwrapped it, left it opened on my living room floor, as I recall and after a while, maybe a week or so it dissipated...enough I felt okay putting it on my bed. Then over some more time, it went away completely. So, I think you're onto something there Raven's Mom. It just might clear up in time...maybe hang it outside on nice days in the wind or sun to air out faster. (?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.