Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any spoo owners currently using a Sleepypod in the car? If so, are you happy with it? Do you have the Sport or the Terrain? And did you have any issues with sizing?

Hoping to get this purchased tomorrow. I don't want Peggy riding in the car unrestrained anymore.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let us know how Peggy likes it!

Penny loves riding in the car and sticking her head out the window. We've been thinking about getting a harness for the car as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let us know how Peggy likes it!

Penny loves riding in the car and sticking her head out the window. We've been thinking about getting a harness for the car as well.
I'm feeling unsure after doing some more research, and they seem to have limited availability right now. Wonder if they're being discontinued?

I'm now leaning towards this:

I'm just still worried about her funny Poodle proportions. Can be hard to get a good fit with harnesses.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I thought I had posted this nast night 😳I hope you will like it! Please let me know how you like it. This was one of the things I looked at before getting Sisko, but was never able to get, but I still want to get it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not that brand but something very similar. The straps are very adjustable, and stay put where they are placed.

The only problem that we occasionally run into is if Ben decides to spin before he settles down (which is his usual way of getting comfy, spin spin spin curl up in a donut then flop), then he gets his legs/body all tangled, or ends up with everything so tight that the harness sorta rotates around his body and he’s all off kilter.

When he sits nicely/lays without spinning it works great. Have walked in it a few times too with no fit issues.

Edited to add:

Regarding the crash testing safety approval, for me the definition of safety goes beyond potential crashes. Our guy can be a bit restless in the car, moving between seats, trying to get in the front, sit on the driver etc.

A big part of safety for us is keeping him in one place.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I have the SleepPod Clikit Sport. They didn’t have the terrain when I bought the sport. I have a minipoo who is wearing size small. There are adjustment straps that allow a large range of fit. The excess straps get tucked inside so nothing dangles. Very well made. My minipoo has the straps set at the smallest length. When I had babykins in modified continental I was able to let the harness out a little to compensate for the extra fur.

This harness was a game changer for me. My minipoo was almost a year old when I got her and she threw up every time we drove more than 10 minutes. If she hadn’t eaten she threw up bile and foam. Mostly we drove to fun places like the park. I had other types of harness and didn’t realize how dangerous those harnesses were. First time and every time since using the clikit she has never been car sick.

She can sit up or lie down and change position but she prefers to lie down and sometimes sleeps.

My only quibble is it’s hard to keep spotless. I have the robins egg blue and it shows dirt from her playing in the park.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
From my files:

Center for Pet Safety
In 2011 Lindsey Wolko founded the Center for Pet Safety, a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit research and advocacy organization, after her dog Maggie was injured in a car accident. As she researched safety products after the incident she found that there was no testing methodology, no assurance of effectiveness, and without that assurance, consumers could not know which products would work and which ones wouldn’t. She met with engineers and started building a 55lb bulldog dummy, anatomically correct, stuffed with computer equipment and the same center of gravity as the real animal. That model was used in the pilot project reviewing four products. When the pilot results were released, Subaru of America Inc. signed on to fund the rest of that study. The final tests included a 75-pound golden retriever, 45-pound border collie and a 25-pound terrier mix.
Subaru partnered again to fund the 2013/14 harness study, in 2015 for the crate and carrier study, and 2018 for pet placement in a 3 row SUV.

From CPS Blog 2018
(With the exception of Piper's Walk, no further harness testing has been made public. Tests were planned for 2019 but no further mention on website.)
Piper’s Walk: We are grateful to Nudh Suanpan for sharing the story about her beloved dog, Piper, with us. Nudh is a courageous young woman who is working to educate pet owners on the importance of travel restraints for pets. She launched the first annual Piper’s Walk and raised funding to support CPS product testing after her dog was killed in a crash. We invited Nudh to attend the testing at MGA Research in Manassas, Virginia. It was an eye opening experience for her.
CPS Certified Program: CPS has been counseling brands around the globe who are working toward certification. We do quite a bit of knowledge sharing with industry to ensure they have the information they need as they work to develop or improve products headed for certification. It is quite time consuming, but it is worth it when we see significant improvement in the test lab. We also anticipate new harness, crate and carrier certifications in 2019….as well as our first international certification!
We’ve also recently recertified updated products and will be posting the test results very soon.

From <2018 Wrap Up - Center for Pet Safety - Center for Pet Safety>

-----------------------------------------

From Sleepypod site faq's
Can small dogs less than 18 pounds use Clickit Sport?
A small dog less than 17-18 pounds tends to have more fragile bone structure, so might be better protected in a carrier in the event of a collision. Check out Sleepypod’s crash tested carriers here.

Do I size up or size down when the measurement is between sizes?
For dogs that are not yet fully grown and within 1 inch of the highest setting, consider sizing up.
Make sure the harness fits tightly before using.
If your dog is full grown, consider sizing down. The fit should be tight, not loose, and fit only three fingers laid flat under the buckles once adjusted correctly.

Can dogs more than 90 pounds use Clickit Sport?
Sizing is based on measurement rather than weight, however, crash testing and certification for the Clickit Sport is for dogs 90 pounds and under.

Can my dog use a booster seat with Clickit Sport?
There are many styles and variables so Sleepypod cannot confidently recommend the use of its safety harnesses in combination with another brand’s booster seat without further testing.

Do I need any additional accessories?
Clickit Sport requires only a three-point seat belt in the rear seat of your vehicle. The seat belt should be a three-point seat belt with both lap and shoulder straps. Additional accessories, like S-Clip and Buckle Shield, are great additions to any trip but are not required.
Can my dog use Clickit Sport in the front seat?
Sleepypod recommends buckling your dog into the rear seat, just as you would a child under 95 pounds, to better ensure safety.

Can Clickit Sport be used in the cargo area?
Sleepypod cannot confidently recommend using Clickit Sport to restrain your pet in the cargo area due to the number of variables. Please be advised that use in the cargo area might reduce safety.

What materials are used?
Clickit Sport is made of ballistic nylon on the front and neoprene padding on the interior. Straps are made of seat belt grade material. Components are stress-tested plastic and metal.
From <Clickit Sport>

From Kurgo
October 2018 Note: Kurgo reached out to Center for Pet Safety to explain that they have redesigned this product since the 2013 harness study. We applaud their due diligence to ensure product safety. CPS has not yet retested the Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength harness. We invite Kurgo to learn more about the Center for Pet Safety Certification program and voluntarily certify their harness in the interest of consumer and pet passenger safety.

In June 2018, Kurgo’s Small, Medium and Large Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness (v. 3) and Impact Dog Seatbelt Harness (v.1)were tested at Calspan’s Buffalo, NY crash test facility and laboratory test procedure for pet safety harness restraint systems.
The test procedure was developed at the testing facility that maintains the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (“FMVSS) No. 213 for Child Restraint Systems and conducts all of the car seat performance tests for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”).
The test procedure adapts FMVSS 213’s strict safety standards that are designed to protect children and makes them applicable to dogs.
Kurgo’s harnesses passed the standards two criteria, which are: i) remain within the applicable excursion limits (<= 32 in. for dogs up to 50 lbs. and <= 36 in. for dogs between 51 and 75 lbs.) and maintain their structural integrity post-crash (i.e., hardware and webbing did not break or tear to the point of total failure, which is defined as complete separation).

FYI The Kurgo comes with a tether but specifically suggests to use the carabiner clip directly to the seat belt "For maximum crash protection and to limit excursion, you should use the included carabiner to attach the harness to you car seat belt system."

Ruffwear Load Up Harness FAQ'S and crash testing videos

From outsideonline.com
The car hits a brick wall—that’s the first-space impact. Your chest hits the steering wheel—that’s the second space. Your internal organs hit your rib cage—that’s the third space, and that’s where the damage is done. If you’ve got a dog in a crate, and they’re bouncing around like a marble inside that crate, then the damage is being done.”
The trick is to manage the deceleration rate of the animal in question—be it human or canine—which means decreasing the force with which the heart, spleen, brain, or other organs get squashed against something hard. That’s what seatbelts and airbags do for humans, but until the past few years, there was no such product available for dogs, no standards defining what these products should set out to achieve, and no procedures for testing them.
From <Drive with Your Dog? Consider This.>
/

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a cousin who was killed by a seatbelt when I was a child. This conjures up those old feelings of horror:

"The next harness, the one that claimed crash testing was up next. The most horrific outcome of all – it decapitated our test dog."

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Those memories would be very hard to overcome. Every time I learn something new on a safety topic, I need to either revise or affirm what I consider an acceptable risk level. (Example: I don't use them but thanks to a mention and seeing reviews and photos of several brands of wire crates, I'm thinking of how to caution the next person who asks.)

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Sailor used the SleepyPod harness, original one, when we came back from Michigan with the pups. the pups rode in a plastic crate. Sailor traveled fine in it. Later, I tried Wilson, and he kept getting all tangled up; I don't know how! camera.815.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sailor used the SleepyPod harness, original one, when we came back from Michigan with the pups. the pups rode in a plastic crate. Sailor traveled fine in it. Later, I tried Wilson, and he kept getting all tangled up; I don't know how! View attachment 468316
I've read about some scary tangles. That does worry me.

P.S. Sailor looks so beautiful in that red! He caught my eye one of the very first times I looked at Poodle Forum, and has inspired me to want a cream spoo. He's just the most gorgeous, regal looking boy. His face reminds me of a horse's face in the best possible way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are any spoo owners currently using a Sleepypod in the car? If so, are you happy with it? Do you have the Sport or the Terrain? And did you have any issues with sizing?

Hoping to get this purchased tomorrow. I don't want Peggy riding in the car unrestrained anymore.

Thanks! :)
I went through a lot of harnesses. The Pug Harness is the first one that fits my mini poo well, is easy to manage. I have an adjustable sort of seatbelt thing for the car and clip her to it by one of the three connections on her harness.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I posted this last year, it’s worthwhile watching when deciding on a harness.

It’s Pet Safety from a Canadian Broadcasting TV show called Market Place aired back in December 2014 but still relevant today.

This is the Center for Pet safety where you can read about safe harnesses and crates for your dog.

If your dog wears a harness that has a short leash that attaches to the seat belt, I would research and find a safer harness. Those types of harnesses do work well to keep your dog from wandering I. The car but they don’t protect your dog in a crash.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti
1 - 16 of 16 Posts