Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have any insight on seizure like events that occur to their miniature poodle while sleeping? He only does it when he’s sleeping. He starts making a growling noise and becomes restless and agitated, then becomes stiff. He has no other signs of a seizure but when we finally get him awake, he’s a little unstable on his feet but then usually goes to his food bowl & eats and seems fine. However the seizure or whatever it is, is quiet scary while it’s happening. We’ve taken him to two different vets and neither have ever heard of these sleep seizures. As I say they only occur when he’s sleeping. Both vets say that he’s having a nightmare, but these are much more intense than that. Just trying to figure out what to do to help out little man.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I'm sorry you're struggling with this. Sounds like a very scary thing to witness and, while they can offer much-needed calming perspective at times, vets can also be dangerously dismissive.

While I've no experience with sleep seizures, I think getting a video of one for your vet to review could be helpful. You know your dog best, and if you feel these episodes are unlike your dog's usual dreaming then it's good you're taking them seriously.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
PTP is right. A video will be very helpful for your vet. Keep filming thru the activity, waking, and going to his food and water.
Stay in touch, please.

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
I agree about getting a video, and capture how he comes out of it.

Snarky used to have vivid, active dreams. He would growl, twitch his legs as if he was running, yip, and wag his tail. It was quite amusing to watch. We could wake him easily. He'd look around a bit disoriented, just as if you or I had been woken out of a sound sleep. Then he'd yawn and be his normal self: wandering off to get a drink, curling up to go back to sleep, or doing something else that was entirely unremarkable.

Pogo occasionally has these active dreams too, but not nearly as often as Snarky used to

My experience of seizures is that they are much more violent than any active dream. The dog gives a blood curdling shriek, not the growling and yipping of Snarky's dreams. Additionally, you can't wake the dog up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts