Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a SPOO from a breeder that a friend recommended. They did health testing and x-rays on hips etc. My friends poodle has turned out great. My girl is now 16 months old. In Sept. 2021 she came down with a very bad ear infection in both ears. After a month of treatment we finally got rid of it. Then I noticed that her ears were flaking skin like dandruff and on the edges it was really bad. I got her back into the vet and they said that it is a Sebaceous Adenitis that is hereditary in Poodles. So I have been doing some research on line. Has anyone else had this problem with their poodle? And what was the outcome? Does it get better?

Thank You All
Diane & Abby (My Spoo)

·
Super Moderator
4,008 Posts
Someone had a similar question a few months ago. Here is the thread.

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
I'm going to emphasize that SA cannot be definitively diagnosed without doing the biopsy to confirm. There are other skin conditions that have similar appearance.

The same type of biopsy needed to diagnose your poodle is also the test used prior to breeding. SA isn't testable genetically because the gene/s responsible haven't been identified yet. The biopsy before breeding is called a "snapshot" because it can only state at the time of the testing whether the poodle/other breed is clear of the condition.

If it is SA, it is primarily cosmetic in its effects, it will require more maintenance than typical poodle care, and most poodles with it live an otherwise perfectly normal life.

When you read thru that thread, take the time to follow all the links. There's a lot of information in those, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone had a similar question a few months ago. Here is the thread.

Thank you for replying I don't feel like we are alone in this now.

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
Drop by anytime if you have specific questions or just to chat. We'd love to see a picture of your Abby, too :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts