Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! We are eagerly awaiting for our puppy to arrive home soon. I was looking for a moyen size but had a harder time finding one. The puppy we will be getting is miniature. His mom is 14 inch around 17 pounds and dad is 11 inches and 12-13 pounds. I’m hoping the puppy will follow the moms size and be on the bigger end(oversized mini)! Does the biggest puppy of the litter end up being the biggest as an adult?

Would you be willing to post pictures of your poodles along with their weight and height? Trying to get a good idea of the different frames and sizes. Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14 inches is still in size. With my dog's litter the pups ranged in size in the same order as pups and adults. But sometimes they can surprise you.

Mine is 14-15 inches and 15.5 lbs.
He’s adorable!!! Would you find any correlation with the bigger pup ending up the biggest? Or didn’t really matter.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
He’s adorable!!! Would you find any correlation with the bigger pup ending up the biggest? Or didn’t really matter.
From what I've seen it tends to end up that way, just not 100% of the time. The biggest pup in Misha's litter went oversize despite having in size parents. Certainly a bigger pup is more likely to end up bigger, but I wouldn't only pick on size. Temperament will ultimately be more important. It's better to have a good match that's a little smaller than ideal. If I went by size preference I would have ended up with a different puppy than I did, but now I'm very happy with Misha's size.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've seen it tends to end up that way, just not 100% of the time. The biggest pup in Misha's litter went oversize despite having in size parents. Certainly a bigger pup is more likely to end up bigger, but I wouldn't only pick on size. Temperament will ultimately be more important. It's better to have a good match that's a little smaller than ideal. If I went by size preference I would have ended up with a different puppy than I did, but now I'm very happy with Misha's size.
Oh def, I will be going by temperament first of all. But if there were two pups who were similar in temperament, I’d likely choose the larger one! I get first choice and breeder will let me know about puppy’s temperament and what would be a good fit for us.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Zoe is 3 years old, just under 14 inches, and 11 pounds. I need to take a current photo - she now has a kennel clip instead of a show clip. 20190514_135628.jpg
She is quite a bit smaller than most miniatures.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Zoe is 3 years old, just under 14 inches, and 11 pounds. I need to take a current photo - she now has a kennel clip instead of a show clip.
She is quite a bit smaller than most miniatures.
Wow she is so petite! She makes Misha look stocky.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My boys were an intervariety cross, and oversize toy with a small miniature, both under 10lbs.

Both my boys exceeded their parents, lol.

Remo was 2.3lbs at about 8.5 weeks, brother Neo was 2.8lbs. They finished growing in height and length probably around 8-9 months but took on another lb or two by the time they were about a year old.

Measuring height, especially as a pup, is always a challenge for me.

Remo is 12"-13" and about 12lbs, Neo is 14-15" and about 14lbs.

Neo extended next to our 5' 9" model

Neo in arms of same model

·
Super Moderator
6,427 Posts
These and weight/height progress threads are some of my Poodle Forum favourites. :) I obsessively searched for them when Peggy was a puppy.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new addition, Mapleoaks4!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Gracie is 18 months now, 15 lbs and 13 7/8 inches. That’s an official height by an AKC judge, hence the precision! She was 3.3 lbs at 8 weeks.
Here are recent pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! We are eagerly awaiting for our puppy to arrive home soon. I was looking for a moyen size but had a harder time finding one. The puppy we will be getting is miniature. His mom is 14 inch around 17 pounds and dad is 11 inches and 12-13 pounds. I’m hoping the puppy will follow the moms size and be on the bigger end(oversized mini)! Does the biggest puppy of the litter end up being the biggest as an adult?

Would you be willing to post pictures of your poodles along with their weight and height? Trying to get a good idea of the different frames and sizes. Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These and weight/height progress threads are some of my Poodle Forum favourites. :) I obsessively searched for them when Peggy was a puppy.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new addition, Mapleoaks4!
Thank you! Yes! I’ve spent hours surfing through the different threads. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to post their pictures along with the stats!

·
Registered
536 Posts
It’s very hard to say where your pup will end up. Here is Sandy (cream and Nova’s dam) who is 19lbs and 16 inches and Nova who is just over 131/2 inches and just under 10lbs (picky eater🙄..) . Sandy has a lot ofhair here making her look taller but you can get an idea in size. Nova isn’t tiny like a toy but is a small package.

Nova’s sire is 15inchs and around 16lbs. Nova will be one July 11 so at this point I don’t think she will grow taller but she will widen through the chest and body as she gets older.

Sandy’s mom is also 13 inches so there can be such a range on size with mini’s. Nova sister who I though was going to be the tallest is just around the same height Nova is and her chunky sister is still a chunky girl but still just a wider chunky version of Nova.

The smaller size is nice though. Much easier to carry.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Most well bred minis are similar in weight to height. They should be square (same height as length) or close to square. A mini that weighs much more than their height is going to be heavier boned, while one that weighs less will be fine boned and petite. Of course if they are overweight that will change things. Fur also makes it hard to tell a dog's build. This is when Misha was a little younger and hadn't filled out yet (he was 14.5 lbs) but you can see the difference when you cut the hair differently!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes Sandy is overweight. She was perfect right around 17lbs but since she has been spayed I am having a harder time with her weight. I might end up switching to a senior food to see if it will help.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Most well bred minis are similar in weight to height. They should be square (same height as length) or close to square. A mini that weighs much more than their height is going to be heavier boned, while one that weighs less will be fine boned and petite. Of course if they are overweight that will change things. Fur also makes it hard to tell a dog's build. This is when Misha was a little younger and hadn't filled out yet (he was 14.5 lbs) but you can see the difference when you cut the hair differently!

View attachment 467722 View attachment 467721
The shorter the hair, the longer the legs look.

Wish that worked on humans!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
A couple more real life measuring sticks from Neo and Remo

A typical kitchen table, just under 30" high, sorry the pics aren't too good. This is Neo, able to steal from the edge of the table (this was posed fyi :))

Remo can only dream

Neo at the counter, foiled :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lola waiting for treat.jpg Ana cut down.jpg Lola sitting on deck.jpg Ana sunbating.jpg
Lola (black) is 14.5 inches and 17 lbs (1st and 3rd pics)
Ana (brown) is 12 inches and 10 pounds. (2nd and 4th pics)
When they play, Ana can actually slip right under Lola. It's pretty funny to watch. In the last pic, Ana has grown out to a teddy bear face.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts