Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you get the size poodle that you wanted/originally intended? I am really wanting a mini. But, there is an awesome standard breeder right here in my town that has been so helpful to me. I wish he bred minis! LOL He gave me the name of someone nearby that does breed minis, but he doesn't have a website. I have to call him to find out more about him.

Just curious, did any of you get a smaller or larger dog than you wanted?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get the size Poodle that suits YOUR lifestyle. There's a huge difference between a 15-20 pound and 50-65 pound dog. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
i wanted a standard and got a standard. at first i was hoping for one on the petite side - and she is! (at just 22.5 inches and 40lbs) but now i'm wishing she was taller:p seems the grass is always greener on the other side!

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Wanted a mini, searched for a mini, waited for a mini....finally found a mini!
Like Desiree says...just suits my lifestyle better! (Sure was tempted many times to go standard though! There were more available and so many choices!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the size Poodle that suits YOUR lifestyle. There's a huge difference between a 15-20 pound and 50-65 pound dog. Good Luck!:)
So true. I had 2 German Shepherds, and a long-haired dachshund. I want the mini! I have time.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If you want the mini, go for the mini! They might be smaller than the standard, but I think they have double the energy level!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wanted a toy, and that's what I got. I felt a toy would fit better into my household and my lifestyle. I've never regretted it since! Nikki is so full of personality!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want the mini, go for the mini! They might be smaller than the standard, but I think they have double the energy level!
Hoping for a somewhat laid back mini. Hahaha....
I do have two young kids that will play fetch with the puppy. We will walk together, and I'd like to do some agility training. So full of energy=cool; just not "hyper"....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Definitely! Almost right down to exact height hahaha. I always wanted a standard best, and got my wish. I always wanted a BIG standard, I should say hehe. Not "giant", but on the really tall side. 25+ inches. Des is exactly 25 inches, so he fits pretty perfect into that image of a standard I had in my head. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've never even considered anything but a standard. We are just large dog people, even my havanese is convinced he is a standard poodle. lol

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes, i wanted a large dog, and got a large dog. Riley is a big boy! Really tall for a standard (28 1/2", 73lbs). I think part of it is him being neutered at 5 months as he is taller then his dad. I want a smaller, more "compact" stanard next time to do sports with. I adore my big boy though!
I agree to go with the size that fits your life best!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wanted a Standard and got a Standard. I never even look at the Toy or Mini. I knew what a wanted and thats what I look for. :) From what I have seen the smaller the poodle the more energetic they are.I have always loved the tiny toys tho. They just would not work out in my family.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I grew up with toys and was under a lot of pressure to get one from family and since I live in the city. But I have wanted a black mini for 20 years and I found a breeder who's been breeding black minis for longer than I've been alive. I waited this long to get a dog, so I waited for exactly what I wanted and it was totally worth it.

Guess it comes down to how well you know what you want. I can say that my mini is much more high energy than the toys I grew up with. MUCH. I've grown into it and now am grateful for the push he gives me to get off my butt and MOVE. Lost seven pounds the first 3 weeks I had him. also underestimated the height (see my thread on having to put him in cargo when flying, also a disappointment).

But when I see him outrunnign nearly every dog at the dog park, jumping so high, and being able to hold his own walking with me on the mean streets of SF, head held high, it's totally, totally worth it. I was fearful a toy would be stepped on walking to work and that has turned out to be a legit fear, some people don't even see Fozzie!

I have my sights on a silver mini or a black standard once Fozzie's 2 years old, depending on whether I leave the city or just move to a bigger place.

That said, there's nothing like a sweet toy on your lap, any time. I just loves 'em all!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When I first started looking, I was looking for a silver/red toy/mini. After talking with a reputable breeder, I think a mini would fit in our lifestyle better. Then I got my silver mini boy and I LOVE him. LOVE his color. LOVE his temperament. Very energetic but he's not hyper not uncontrollable. But just like Fozzie's mom, I also underestimated the height (Nickel is now 4 mths and is already 12 inches tall). I think he might not be able to fly with me in the cabin.

I think if we were going to get another poodle, we would probably get a smaller mini or a bigger toy.

If you have difficulty deciding, talk to more owners as well as breeders and I think they can shed you some light.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My 8 month old min defintely has a lot of energy, but I wouldn't call him hyper at all. He is has a very mellow, easy going temperament. Twice daily walks and fetch in the back yard or even in the living room seems to keep him well exercised.

·
Registered
644 Posts
yes, I wouldn't call fozzie hyper. but he is high energy. I can walk him for two hours and he will want more. We tried four hours and he still couldn't get enough. :D

but wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm training him to be both a therapy dog and looking into agility. I never predicted the effect he'd have on my life and it's all been for the better. :D

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
As far as my family is concerned, Beau is a perfect size. At 11 mos, he's about 15" at the shoulder, so big for a mini. He's small enough to pick up when you need to, but big enough to hold his own on a walk.

As for energy level, he was a mellow pup, and he's still pretty calm - most of the time. He can run like a cheetah when he wants to, but is not a crazy barking maniac, like some dogs I've known. Finding him was a stroke of luck, and a blessing. Patience, Grasshopper. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
As far as my family is concerned, Beau is a perfect size. At 11 mos, he's about 15" at the shoulder, so big for a mini. He's small enough to pick up when you need to, but big enough to hold his own on a walk.
I thought 15" is a perfect mini size and the one most show breeders want. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts