Poodle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been to this board for a long time, but had a question about the size of my two-year-old, male mini. He just went to the vets and weighed 24.3 pounds (not an ounce of fat on him) and measured about 16.5" high (he was wiggly, so that isn't exact, but definitely more than 15"). The vet actually thought he was a small standard. Both his sire and dam are 15" and dam weighs 17 lbs. and sire 15 lbs.
A relative has one of his littermates who is much smaller. Is it normal for a mini to be so large?

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Not unusual. My two minipoos are also oversized and their parents had to be under 15” at the withers to earn their AKC championships.

Breeders who show in conformation try to breed close to 15” because those are the dogs who are more likely to earn points at a competition towards their title. There’s a preference for larger minipoo. As a consequence many puppies go oversized.

Standards are defined as being 15” or higher, but since your dog has minipoo parents it’s an oversized minipoo and not a small standard.

Reactions: Rose n Poos and Liz

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, he is definitely a mini, just large. I haven’t spoken to his breeder in about a year. When he hit 19 lbs., I wrote and mentioned how big he was getting and she just got a bit defensive and wrote, “his mom AND dad are big but not oversized. Both AKC CHAMPIONS and 15” at the shoulders.”
I guess he’s gone from being one of the smallest dogs in the litter, to one of the largest.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The breeder probably misinterpreted your message. Many people expect breeders to be able to exactly predict adult sizes of pups and I think breeders get very frustrated with people complaining about oversized or undersized dogs. It happens. My dog had parents that were 14" and 15" and he is 15" but has a brother that is much bigger than him.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
My mpoo boys are both in-size but noticeably outgrew their parents.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My minipoo Hugo at 9.5 months has outgrown both his parents---his dam is slightly oversized, his sire within the 10-15" standard. Hugo is about 17 or 17.5" and 26 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts