Poodle Forum banner

Size matters....

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
Hi All.... If a poodle pup weighs 3lbs at 10 weeks, how big will he likely get? I got some information on a toy poodle pup but from the pics he looks sort of big. I have nothing against minis (I owned a few of them) but I am leaning towards a smaller/easier to pick up dog this time around...

#4 ·
Toy poodles go by height 10" and under here in the U.S
That said I got all mine as older puppies
Leonard 18 1/2 weeks 4 pounds adult weight 6 1/4 pounds
Beatrice 17 1/2 weeks 4 1/2 pounds 9 1/2 pounds adult weight
Pia 20 weeks 4 pounds 9 0z 8 1/2 pounds adult weight

#5 ·
I don't know the weights of the parents but the breeder said the dog will be 8-10lbs stocky.... not sure what that means... From the pics the dad looks small and the mom looks larger. Assuming the dog is still available I won't be meeting the mom, only the dad......

#8 · (Edited)
Assuming the dog is still available I won't be meeting the mom, only the dad......
That's a flag. How can the mother not be with her pup/s? The dad not being there wouldn't be unusual for quality breeders. They breed their dogs to dogs from other kennels far more often than breeding to their own stock.

If a poodle pup weighs 3lbs at 10 weeks, how big will he likely get?
Definitely not possible for the breeder to predict beyond a range and even that's tricky. My boys outgrew their parents significantly.

10w 4d
Neo 4.0lb
Remo 3.2lb

Almost 6m
10 23 17
Neo 11lb
Remo 9.5lb

Full adult weight
1 14 20
Neo 14.3lb
Remo 13lb

---------

Stocky is really not in the poodle breed standard.

The PCA breed standard for all varieties.
Think of the breed standard as a blueprint. There will be variances but the standard is what breeders should be trying to breed for.
IllustratedStandard.pdf (poodleclubofthelehighvalley.com)

I really recommend that you ask the breeder this specifically "Where may I see the OFA health testing?".

If they seem puzzled, or say that they don't need to, or state that they've done DNA testing, or state that the puppies tested fine, BIG FLAGS!

Puzzled = uninformed breeder
Don't need to = most likely doesn't want to spend/invest in the health of their dogs. Unlikely = old school breeder who knows their lines and those of every dog they breed with for generations back but if they haven't been breeding for decades, how could they know
DNA testing = partially informed breeder. DNA testing is nice but not the gold standard the OFA testing is.
Caveat - if the DNA test was AKC DNA testing, that is NOT health testing. That is to verify the dogs DNA identity.
Puppies tested fine = uninformed breeder, puppies are not tested, dam and sire are.

Ask for the dam and sire's registered names. There are two reasons for this. With that info you can look at the AKC registry to see if they are registered purebred poodles (possibly UKC also) and you can verify any health testing reported on OFA.

They'll also see that you are (becoming) an informed potential owner.

Reactions: Streetcar
#7 ·
I was going to say the same thing. My poodle mix was stocky (i.e. a short-legged “rectangle”) and suffered from spinal issues. Poodles should be nice and square.

Is this a breeder you feel good about, @Genny? If so, I would trust their size estimate, keeping in mind there are no guarantees. Genetics can be funny.

#9 ·
Thanks so much for all of this great information. I have every reason to believe this is a reputable breeder. The dam was recently rehomed because this was her 3rd litter; the puppy is on the older side (14 weeks). A litter mate is still there because they are being kept by the breeder. The sire is also there. The puppy is very cute (in pics) just a little older and bigger then I was initially looking for....
Just out of curiosity...are older pups ever discounted? The price for this puppy is significantly higher than the last one I saw....

#10 ·
Short answer no, I got my boy at 18 1/2 weeks, he was the same price as 10 week old puppies.
Don't bargain shop
You get what you pay for
You either pay up front for a quality or pay later in vet bills.

#11 ·
An older, well-bred, well-socialized puppy would be highly valued. Those early months are hard work.

And 14 weeks isn’t really considered old for a fragile toy puppy. It’s not uncommon for breeders to hold onto these pups until at least 12 weeks. I’m actually a little surprised they already rehomed the dam. She could teach her puppies so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.