Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed our puppy has trouble getting up after lying down. It reminds me of our 14 year old standard poodle....as he was nearing the end. Same type of weakness in hind quarters. Is this something to worry about? I've noticed if he wants on the sofa he'll put his front paws on but that's as far as he gets. I'm hoping there is not something wrong with his hips.
He's going to be a big dog (40lbs at 6 months) so I thought maybe he's just growing so fast and he hasn't figured it all out.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
This could be early signs of an orthopedic issue. There are other signs I would be looking for like asymmetrical walking force which looks like one hip swings more as they walk. Or bunny hopping rather than using each back leg independently. If you do suspect anything, I would have him examined by a good vet. There are some things you can do early on to try to minimize orthopedic issues if you catch them as they are developing. Additionally, neutering late will help to avoid exacerbating any underlying orthopedic faults.

What is his background? Were his parents tested for common orthopedic issues?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts