Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My toy poodle, 14 yrs old, has recently started to just sit, faced away from me, on the bed and stare at the wall, etc. She sleeps with me, goes to store, has done everything with me for 14 years now. This new behavior is concerning. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
My late Chihuahua did the same thing. In her case it was dementia. It was very subtle when it started but slowly became more apparent, like standing close to the wall and staying there like she was trapped, not knowing what to do. They require more care from our part but don’t seem yo suffer from it. At least mine didn’t.

They can have many years after it starts. Mine did not die of it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don’t want to be pessimistic, and I’m certainly not a vet, but I believe this is one of the early symptoms of dementia. I would take her to the vet and lay out your concerns.

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
My toy poodle, 14 yrs old, has recently started to just sit, faced away from me, on the bed and stare at the wall, etc. She sleeps with me, goes to store, has done everything with me for 14 years now. This new behavior is concerning. Thoughts?
Welcome to you and your dear poodle. My mini mix Gracie started doing something similar at 13 years old. In her case, it was the first sign of cognitive dysfunction.

We put her on Anipryl at our vet's encouragement, because she was also testing borderline for Cushing's disease, and Anipryl is prescribed for both conditions.

I hope you'll keep us posted once you speak with your vet. Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
My mom's poodle mix did that actually he would sit in a corner staring at the wall, it was a life time ago but he was diagnosed with Cushing's and medication helped him

1 - 8 of 8 Posts