Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This training technique is meant to teach a dog patience and self control. Most Poodles come by impulse control naturally, but for those that don't, this might be a good system to implement.

First. It is important to understand that this is not an exercise where you are asking your dog to "do" something. This is not a taught "stay" exercise. This technique puts all the responsibility on the dog to manage its own impulse control.

Get a straight backed chair like you might use at the kitchen table. Leash the dog. Put the leash under yourself so that you are sitting on it. There should be just enough slack in the leash that the dog can lie down, but not so much that it can put its head down to the floor.

Don't give the dog any attention. Don't give it any commands. Ignore the dog. (I'd have a book or magazine handy.) If the dog gets into your face or tries to elicit a response, just push the dog away with a non-committal attitude. When the dog sits or lies down, start the clock. The seminar said to go a full 30 minutes, but I think it would be prudent to start out at 15. Restart the clock every time the dog gets up or tries to get attention from you. After the dog has completely settle for all of the allotted time, quietly get up and let the dog go. Don't make a big deal of it. Don't praise or treat or break the dog off. Remember.... this is not an exercise where dog and handler work together. This is about dog learning self control.

The woman who told me about this technique has Beagles and she has the top Obedience Beagle in the country (UDX6). Her dogs are pretty dominant and they can be pushy. She says the method worked well for her.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
This training technique is meant to teach a dog patience and self control. Most Poodles come by impulse control naturally, but for those that don't, this might be a good system to implement.
Enzo does this naturally :) Most of my dogs are trained this way maybe not in the manor this trainer explained it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Thanks for that Carol. Interesting. Why cant the dog put its head down though? I dont mind if my dog is alert and quiet or sleeping just so long as he is resting and not underfoot.
I think it is because the dog is supposed to be focused in its self control, not just asleep and zoned out.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you are looking for impulse control, I HIGHLY recommend "Crate Games" by Susan Garrett. It's a wonderful DVD.
Yes, I believe it was cbrand who recommended this dvd originally?

Love it.
I have been telling a lot of my clients about it as well.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I found very similar technique at one Irish Water Spaniel breeder site couple of months back.

He described putting the leash underfoot while sitting so dog can not try standing upright on his hind feet .

When I was reading that I thought that perhaps Irish WS really could be some stubborn and independent breed that needs to learn "settling down" when inside. It kind off went with "hunting dogs temperament" in general, but now I understand that it is actually exercise that can be useful to any dog that is having trouble with that.

Thanks Cbrand for posting

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for posting cbrand. I always love your obedience
tidbits. I have a very alpha girl and I have to stay a
step ahead of her. I'll give this a try!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts