Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sisko was a wild Poodle at the vet's office today. He would have been that one dog who if was loose would have said hi to everyone and trotted in and out of every room馃槰. He does have anxiety, so the vet gave me Trazodone to give him when he enters situations that make him anxious, and the vet said that I'm doing everything right already to help him with his anxiety and everything else.

At 55 pounds he is perfect! The vet said that I need to find something else to do with him to get his energy out. Running might be boring to him and that basically he is lazy when it comes to exercising and training for right now and to have help from a trainer to help with it, and that I'm doing everything right and good. I think this is the start of his Noseworks career!

Premium Member
Wow - it amazes me how many medications are used by humans and by dogs. Trazodone is one of those meds. Tried it for several weeks but it didn't really help so my shrink switched me to a more potent drug. I can see how though that trazodone might work well to settle down a dog.
Let us know how that nosework starts out, whether Sisko likes it and if it seems like something he will enjoy doing. I am a true believer that some dogs need work to be happy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Wow - it amazes me how many medications are used by humans and by dogs. Trazodone is one of those meds. Tried it for several weeks but it didn't really help so my shrink switched me to a more potent drug. I can see how though that trazodone might work well to settle down a dog.
Let us know how that nosework starts out, whether Sisko likes it and if it seems like something he will enjoy doing. I am a true believer that some dogs need work to be happy.
Yeah, me too. They can even take cetirizine, the vet will send me an email for the cetirizine dose. Okay, I will! I'm a true believer in that too. I really want Sisko to have some kind of job. My Aussie had jobs.

Registered
Sounds good. Nose work is the perfect activity to help dogs with anxiety. It will make him more confident. Do chose your nose work instructor carefully - you need someone who knows how to train an anxious dog. A good instructor will adapt the class to meet the needs of the dogs.

I'm teaching nose work and one of the dogs in my beginner class went to another instructor who treated all dogs the same. This dog is sweet and friendly but fearful. I set out different boxes for her dog when it's their turn in the ring - I'm moving very slowly so her dog can desensitize to the boxes and containers. All the dogs are working on odor so her dog, once she gets over her fears she will be at a similar level.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a good report! and I think housework will be fun for both you and Sisko.
Sounds good. Nose work is the perfect activity to help dogs with anxiety. It will make him more confident. Do chose your nose work instructor carefully - you need someone who knows how to train an anxious dog. A good instructor will adapt the class to meet the needs of the dogs.

I'm teaching nose work and one of the dogs in my beginner class went to another instructor who treated all dogs the same. This dog is sweet and friendly but fearful. I set out different boxes for her dog when it's their turn in the ring - I'm moving very slowly so her dog can desensitize to the boxes and containers. All the dogs are working on odor so her dog, once she gets over her fears she will be at a similar level.
Thanks guys! We did Noseworks yesterday for a while and he was tired afterwards. @Skylar I will!

Awwwwww馃槩

1 - 6 of 6 Posts