Poodle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
OMG Sisko did SO WELL on our walk😭😀😁 We were able to walk past a lady and her dog, but just when I was about to treat him he started to pull when they walked farther away, but I'm still proud of him for not going crazy!! When we had walked into a new neighborhood there was a couple in their front yard with their dogs. The dogs were in a invisible fence (I don't like them) and the owner said that it fails sometimes and that the people across from them have dogs, but they're usually in the back yard (we are never going to walk there again) but I was able to talk to the man without Sisko going crazy!! And he had his dog with him!!! I couldn't be prouder of Sisko!!!!! Oh, the man asked if Sisko is Labradoodle😆

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Well that all is very good as beginnings. Now do what you have to to make it all 100% reliable with even more distractions as you continue to make progress. In the proofers' world you only need about 5997 moe successes to consider Sisko to be bomb proof. I know that sounds like I am trying to be a buzz kill, but I am really just being a realist.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Well that all is very good as beginnings. Now do what you have to to make it all 100% reliable with even more distractions as you continue to make progress. In the proofers' world you only need about 5997 moe successes to consider Sisko to be bomb proof. I know that sounds like I am trying to be a buzz kill, but I am really just being a realist.
Thank you! Yes, Sisko and I still have a long way to go to get to 100% reliability, so I need to move on to more distractions. I can move on to train right in front of the apartment complex office because there is more distractions there and the vet office parking lot when they're closed.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Sisko ignored a kid on a scooter and a lady getting stuff out of her car today while I was letting his leash drag!! I am amazed and so happy and proud of him!!! We went on a hour long walk today and we enjoyed it very much. We would have been out longer but I got overheated. I wore a jacket because my pants don't have pockets.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Sisko chose to walk with me instead of looking at a lady walk to her apartment!! I'm so proud of him! It seems like he likes it better when he is allowed to have his leash drag and people aren't a big deal now. Sisko also either heels right beside me or a bit behind me. Now if only he could do that while I'm holding the leash!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Okay, I did get frustrated with Sisko for a little bit while we were outside because wasn't on his A game, but I was able to turn it around 😀 I let him drag his leash after he was done pooping, so we crossed the street 2 times. I have him sit before we cross the street to look for cars. He wanted to be silly and play, but I told him uh-uh and he stopped. I did step on his leash the second time we crossed the street because there was a lady getting things out of her SUV and he wasn't as focused on me, so we stopped and did sits, downs, and ups and he did so well! And he showed great impulse control by not trying to pull and get to the lady.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
I'm very impressed with Sisko's and your progress! Good work. :)

What's your goal with crossing the street? I have to say - I would be very very nervous not having a leash on my dog on anything but a slow, dead-end street. Gracie was extremely reliable off-leash, but I didn't even take that chance with her.

Maybe it's because I've personally been hit while crossing at an intersection, and I know how quickly things can go wrong despite doing everything right.

Just be careful, you two!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I'm very impressed with Sisko's and your progress! Good work. :)

What's your goal with crossing the street? I have to say - I would be very very nervous not having a leash on my dog on anything but a slow, dead-end street. Gracie was extremely reliable off-leash, but I didn't even take that chance with her.

Maybe it's because I've personally been hit while crossing at an intersection, and I know how quickly things can go wrong despite doing everything right.

Just be careful, you two!
Thank you 💗

I think it's just to get him used to being off-leash, but still listening to me. I can totally understand that. I only let him drag his leash if there aren't any fast cars and if he is 100% focused on me. I keep 4 pairs of eyes out for cars instead of 2 when I let him drag his leash.

OMG I'm sorry that that happened to you. I wouldn't be able to cross the street for a long time after that.

Okay, we will! Sisko still has his leash on, so I can grab it or step on it and is either right by my side or a tad bit behind me and if he is not in one of these 2 places or if 100% of his attention isn't on me, I start holding the leash again.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
I wouldn't be able to cross the street for a long time after that.
It's been ten years and my heart still beats faster each time I step off the curb.

I'm glad to hear you're being extra careful. The challenge I find crossing a street with a dog is that you have to focus on your dog AND traffic. And if you look away from either for even a second, tragedy can occur. It happens so fast.

Tell Sisko he'd better be on his best behaviour! Tell him Peggy said so!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
It's been ten years and my heart still beats faster each time I step off the curb.

I'm glad to hear you're being extra careful. The challenge I find crossing a street with a dog is that you have to focus on your dog AND traffic. And if you look away from either for even a second, tragedy can occur. It happens so fast.

Tell Sisko he'd better be on his best behaviour! Tell him Peggy said so!
Wow :( I know me and anyone else's heart would do the same.

I find that to be a challenge too!! Yeah, it does. I don't let him drag his leash if there's more than 2 cars. I wish only the best of drivers could drive.

Okay, I will!!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have to say that I'd feel better if you were working on dropped leash in a safer environment. Is there a school yard or playing field nearish, somewhere that he's less likely to be startled and possibly get hurt?

I lost my first poodle, Mimi, when she stepped in the street and was hit and killed. I can't bear to think of that happening to Sisko and the only way to be 100% is to keep the leash in hand.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I have to say that I'd feel better if you were working on dropped leash in a safer environment. Is there a school yard or playing field nearish, somewhere that he's less likely to be startled and possibly get hurt?

I lost my first poodle, Mimi, when she stepped in the street and was hit and killed. I can't bear to think of that happening to Sisko and the only way to be 100% is to keep the leash in hand.
I can ask our trainer if she has any recommendations on where to take him to. Thank you, so much.

I'm so sorry. I wouldn't get another if something happened to Sisko. Thank you very much for telling me.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Here we have struck leash laws. So its something I wouldn't attempt. My neighbor went thru a big law suit, even though his dogs did nothing wrong but the scared a woman (supposedly) because they weren't leashed. He lost as it was said he did not have control of his dog . When we first had our boxer the trainer would not even teach off leash, he said its not allowed so he would not teach it to a pet owner. Recall yes if dog accidentally got loose but not for everyday walks.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Really really bad idea to teach off leash that way IMO. Things can change too fast. If you had a fenced yard then you teach off leash there. If there are leash laws where you live then no off leash in public. If something happened with Sisko off leash you will be considered at fault. Also as an IMO most people take leashes off too soon anyway. I never allow any of our dogs to be off leash outside our yard or a training ring. There just is no need for it for me even though all of our dogs are well trained enough to go off leash. I am actually really annoyed with Lily these days because everytime someone rings the doorbell she makes a beeline to go out and often does squeeze by me. With my lawn guy it is okay since he knows our dogs well and she really just wants him to play with her right there on the front steps. He knows that is the rule too. With other people she is too willing to try to follow them to get attention and would follow the pizza guy to his car and go around out in the street with them if they allowed it.

For the goal of working recalls you use a long line (even in a yard or training facility) since you cannot allow a dog to blow off an order to recall. If the dog blows the handler off you use the long line to get them to come promptly and briskly.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
For the goal of working recalls you use a long line (even in a yard or training facility) since you cannot allow a dog to blow off an order to recall. If the dog blows the handler off you use the long line to get them to come promptly and briskly.
What's the longest line you recommend? And is there a specific type of rope that's best? Or one to avoid?

I'd like one for throwing a frisbee at the beach.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
What's the longest line you recommend? And is there a specific type of rope that's best? Or one to avoid?

I'd like one for throwing a frisbee at the beach.

Well now I have lots of long lines. I have regular cotton/nylon leashes at 20' that I use for doing CGC evaluations. I also have biothane as well as nylon woven leashes in several weights for tracking with all three dogs. They are forty feet. I only use them for tracking. I think they are too long for play. I also have real flexi brand 23' leashes for play nd in case I need to make a distance correction during training (like stopping a dog from taking an incorrect glove or running out to the article pile like a wild critter (guess who that is). In training I will put the flexi on a flat collar (never on a pinch). In play I attach it to a ring on the top of a harness, never on a collar. For play you either make short throws of balls and discs or be prepared to run after the dog if it gets beyond the length of the leash. Use the tape rather than the cord type of leash for a flexi and practice carefully with it before hitting the road for something vigorous. They can be quite dangerous. I have heard of people who lost a finger when the cord type wrapped around it while the dog was going full speed. If the dog pulls it out of your hand the handle will follow the dog and hit them. This happened once when Javelin yanked it out of my hand. It followed him over a high jump with no reduction in speed and smacked him in the side of his rib cage. Since he is very resilient about things like that he returned to retrieving over the jump in under 3 minutes. Many dogs I know would have been off the jump for weeks or even months.

That is a complex answer to a simple question. Ask for more details everyone if you need more thoughts.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Well now I have lots of long lines. I have regular cotton/nylon leashes at 20' that I use for doing CGC evaluations. I also have biothane as well as nylon woven leashes in several weights for tracking with all three dogs. They are forty feet. I only use them for tracking. I think they are too long for play. I also have real flexi brand 23' leashes for play nd in case I need to make a distance correction during training (like stopping a dog from taking an incorrect glove or running out to the article pile like a wild critter (guess who that is). In training I will put the flexi on a flat collar (never on a pinch). In play I attach it to a ring on the top of a harness, never on a collar. For play you either make short throws of balls and discs or be prepared to run after the dog if it gets beyond the length of the leash. Use the tape rather than the cord type of leash for a flexi and practice carefully with it before hitting the road for something vigorous. They can be quite dangerous. I have heard of people who lost a finger when the cord type wrapped around it while the dog was going full speed. If the dog pulls it out of your hand the handle will follow the dog and hit them. This happened once when Javelin yanked it out of my hand. It followed him over a high jump with no reduction in speed and smacked him in the side of his rib cage. Since he is very resilient about things like that he returned to retrieving over the jump in under 3 minutes. Many dogs I know would have been off the jump for weeks or even months.

That is a complex answer to a simple question. Ask for more details everyone if you need more thoughts.
I have a 30ft leash for Sisko, so that he can play in the field behind my apartment with his flirt pole. Should I get a 20ft instead? should the 30ft leash only be used for recalls?

101 - 120 of 135 Posts