Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 135 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #61
I agree with the core of what cowpony is saying. You have to figure out why some walks are good and some go off the rails. Through figuring this out you can train Sisko not to do the pulling and lack of attention to you. Keep practicing your focused attention games. You need to keep up that practice to turn it into his habit to not just drag you around checking the pee mail but rather paying attention to you when you want/need him to then getting some free sniffing in, but then to reorient to you when you tell him to. Don't go out and get dragged down the street, you frustrated and then drag each other home. If that is what you do it will become habit and there will be no change for the good. When our dogs were younger we always played with them in the yard to scrub some energy off before putting the leash on and stepping into the street and all of the interesting things going on out there.
Okay, we will! The good thing was that Sisko did better going the way we came. Maybe he smelled something down the road. Thank you, Catherine.

Premium Member
Does he have a flirt pole? You can do so much training and exercise with them. I made Buck down/stay until I got out the flirt pole. Great indoor and outdoor exercise, not too much jumping. Lotsa fun! I use the command 鈥渇ree鈥 for Buck to do his own thing. Your walks could have some free and then back to business. I would have broken up your circle exercise. Good job, Sisko for nearly 4. Yay, you! Buck would have revolted unless endless treats were involved. He learned with fewer struggles when I mixed things up. Exhausting to train a smart dog. A good trainer is a lifeline I took:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
My mom is getting one from Chewy right now馃榿! Okay, thank you! I use "release" for Sisko.

Whoa, Buck revolting馃槰? Okay. It is! but it wasn't this hard with my Aussie馃槪. I had found a trainer for him(she does obedience, agility, crate games, and I think something else too), but then C19 happened and is still happening馃様

Super Moderator
Here's another thought. Is it possible that you are accidentally reinforcing the wrong thing by repeating exercises too many times?
Say, you ask for him to sit when you are on a walk. He sits.
Buoyed by your success, you ask him to sit half a dozen more times.
He eventually gets bored and stops sitting.
Since you aren't getting anywhere with sitting now, you give up and do something else.
Lesson he takes home: if "If obey and do something I don't love, I'll just get asked to do it again. If I refuse, I won't have to do it anymore."
If that's what's happening, you can break out of the cycle by cutting your repetitions down. Reward after a really good one and then go do something else.

Registered
Discussion Starter #67
Here's another thought. Is it possible that you are accidentally reinforcing the wrong thing by repeating exercises too many times?
Say, you ask for him to sit when you are on a walk. He sits.
Buoyed by your success, you ask him to sit half a dozen more times.
He eventually gets bored and stops sitting.
Since you aren't getting anywhere with sitting now, you give up and do something else.
Lesson he takes home: if "If obey and do something I don't love, I'll just get asked to do it again. If I refuse, I won't have to do it anymore."
If that's what's happening, you can break out of the cycle by cutting your repetitions down. Reward after a really good one and then go do something else.
I could be doing that! I would say that I try to get him to sit while walking 5 times. At most he will sit by himself 2 times when I try to get him to, but I have to ask him first and then start walking to get him to sit by completely by himself, and that's where I give up at, because after that he won't do it anymore. And it goes like that with everything I try to teach him. we were having a lot of fun this morning before I took him out to potty. I have this sock that no one wants, so I'm using it to teach him to bring it to me, and then he thought that playing by himself and his own way was more fun then bringing it back to me, so I gave up.

Okay, thank you!

I'm sorry if anything came out weird. I think PF is acting up right now for me.

Premium Member
Absolutely. I didn鈥檛 get an automatic poodle. Does anyone? I grew to think of my adolescent as a work in progress until three. Celebrate every success;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
We went to a small park today!! People only go there when they want to play sports. Sisko sniffed around and I let him play with his leash(only because we didn't have anything else and he really liked it) we had a lot of fun and enjoyed ourselves, but I want to bring his long lead and rope toy next time馃榾.

20200509_153823.jpg
20200509_153828.jpg
20200509_153841.jpg
20200509_153842.jpg
20200509_153844.jpg
20200509_153946.jpg
20200509_154048.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #74
We went to the same park today, and I brought his long lead and rope toy, and we had fun! I figured out that Sisko is a "play with me dog" only. You have to play with him because he won't play by himself, and he is not a hold a toy in my mouth and run around with it dog, so we played tug and I moved his rope around like a flirt pole and he tried to get it. He loves that!! I can't wait for his flirt pole to get here.

I also took the advice(I always listen to and take everyone's advice) of Catherine and Dechi with walking away from Sisko. I had him on his 30 ft lead. It kind of worked, he ran to me.......then he ran ahead of me. Should I just change directions when he does that? I think I could do focus training at that park too!

I'm also taking the advice cowpony about looking at CGC for our training goals馃榾

Here's pics from today.
20200510_181615.jpg

20200510_181616.jpg

20200510_181619.jpg

Premium Member
Sisko's flirt pole came today馃帀馃帄!

That's great! There is a lot you can teach with a flirt pole and tugging. Remember you control those toys, not Sisko. By teaching him to be polite and pay attention to you the flirt pole and a tug toy will help his focus.

Registered
Discussion Starter #77
That's great! There is a lot you can teach with a flirt pole and tugging. Remember you control those toys, not Sisko. By teaching him to be polite and pay attention to you the flirt pole and a tug toy will help his focus.
馃榾 Okay! That's where I was going wrong too. I wasn't The Controller of Toys like I should have been. I didn't let him jump or snatch them from me, but I didn't teach him to pay attention to me while I had the rope toy or flirt pole.

Registered
We went to the same park today, and I brought his long lead and rope toy, and we had fun! I figured out that Sisko is a "play with me dog" only. You have to play with him because he won't play by himself, and he is not a hold a toy in my mouth and run around with it dog, so we played tug and I moved his rope around like a flirt pole and he tried to get it. He loves that!! I can't wait for his flirt pole to get here.

I also took the advice(I always listen to and take everyone's advice) of Catherine and Dechi with walking away from Sisko. I had him on his 30 ft lead. It kind of worked, he ran to me.......then he ran ahead of me. Should I just change directions when he does that? I think I could do focus training at that park too!

I'm also taking the advice cowpony about looking at CGC for our training goals馃榾

Here's pics from today. View attachment 466566
View attachment 466567
View attachment 466568
Sisko looks like one happy dog....

I would do exactly what you say- run , wait for him to catch up, then go another direction if he gets ahead or stops checking back with you. I sometimes use the cue "wrong way!" Or "this way!", and it's a useful cue for if you ever let him offleash and are redirecting from the road or something. That way he learns to focus on you. The other fun game Annie and I play is off leash. If I notice she isnt paying attention on a hike, I hide behind a bush or a tree and wait for her to notice and find me. Then lots of treats/praise, and a release. I started this when she was a baby, and not confident about being alone, and now she comes looking the moment she realizes she can't see me. With both, I am pretty confident having her off leash on a hike without other people around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #79
Sisko looks like one happy dog....

I would do exactly what you say- run , wait for him to catch up, then go another direction if he gets ahead or stops checking back with you. I sometimes use the cue "wrong way!" Or "this way!", and it's a useful cue for if you ever let him offleash and are redirecting from the road or something. That way he learns to focus on you. The other fun game Annie and I play is off leash. If I notice she isnt paying attention on a hike, I hide behind a bush or a tree and wait for her to notice and find me. Then lots of treats/praise, and a release. I started this when she was a baby, and not confident about being alone, and now she comes looking the moment she realizes she can't see me. With both, I am pretty confident having her off leash on a hike without other people around.
Okay, thank you! I will keep it up and add wrong way with it馃榿 I would love to play that game, but only when he gets better at focusing on me or I have a trainer right there with us. I will start that first thing when I can with my next puppy.

Registered
My dogs have walked off leash for so many years now that it is second nature for all of us, but the other day I watched Sophy carefully to see how often she checked in on me, and whether there were any particular circumstances that triggered it. I was surprised at how frequently she paused and looked back - every 15 yards or so - and how routinely she waited for me to catch up if there was anything even slightly unusual ahead. A tilt of the head or "This way!" is enough for her to change paths, although she will sometimes choose to walk on the paved path parallel to me if she thinks the grass is too wet or too thistly. Somewhere in all the years of first training, then practising, then simply walking, we have found the sweet spot of trusting each other to just get it right. Poppy, meanwhile, sticks close to me most of the time - I have treats, and there may be scary stuff around the corner...

61 - 80 of 135 Posts