Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
You’ll get there with Sisko! Poodles take so long to mature, so training, even for a companion, needs to be slotted in, every single day. Buck went bonkers as a teen and I didn’t have any break in training. Quite humbling for me, until Eric, a PF member and someone with canine police training experience wrote that poodles are not easy for a novice. I had to up my game and not get discouraged. I’m a big advocate of celebrating every success. The handler needs some positive reinforcement too:)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You’ll get there with Sisko! Poodles take so long to mature, so training, even for a companion, needs to be slotted in, every single day. Buck went bonkers as a teen and I didn’t have any break in training. Quite humbling for me, until Eric, a PF member and someone with canine police training experience wrote that poodles are not easy for a novice. I had to up my game and not get discouraged. I’m a big advocate of celebrating every success. The handler needs some positive reinforcement too:)
Thank you, Mfmst! I didn't know Poodles took so long to mature until I looked here on PF! But, I didn't know about training though?!

Oh, no! Not bonkers!?? Wow! I'll stay away from articles about so called best first breeds to get. I've seen Poodle's on them a lot! Okay, no room for discouragement! Yeah, that's true.?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was armed with a bully stick and lamb treats and Sisko did so well training outside!!!!!

He was able to sit and lay down very nicely, and I released him from those cues before he moved. He did a very awesome job at LAT!!!!!

When there was a kid walking he stayed in lay down, and a kid running he only stood up, but I was able to get him to lay down again!!

He saw dogs too and I would just pull out the bully stick for him to chew on and and either sit or lay down and it worked!!!

Sisko even saw this guide dog who barks at other dogs, at first they barked at each other from the other side of the street, so we stayed in one spot so that they could walk back without worrying, and Sisko happily chewed on his bully stick instead of going crazy!!!

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
He really didn’t go bonkers as much as question “why should I?”. Like my human tween/teen tried the argument of “You're not the boss of my life.” Firm, fair and a lot of finesse is required. Treats help:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was armed with a bully stick and lamb treats and Sisko did so well training outside!!!!!

He was able to sit and lay down very nicely, and I released him from those cues before he moved. He did a very awesome job at LAT!!!!!

When there was a kid walking he stayed in lay down, and a kid running he only stood up, but I was able to get him to lay down again!!

He saw dogs too and I would just pull out the bully stick for him to chew on and and either sit or lay down and it worked!!!

Sisko even saw this guide dog who barks at other dogs, at first they barked at each other from the other side of the street, so we stayed in one spot so that they could walk back without worrying, and Sisko happily chewed on his bully stick instead of going crazy!!!
Good progress! Nice job in getting him to a positive and calm frame of mind around the distractions.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good progress! Nice job in getting him to a positive and calm frame of mind around the distractions.
Thank you! I forgot to mention that we were able to stay on the same sidewalk while a lady walked by without Sisko trying to pull toward her, he chewed on his bully stick instead!?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
He really didn’t go bonkers as much as question “why should I?”. Like my human tween/teen tried the argument of “You're not the boss of my life.” Firm, fair and a lot of finesse is required. Treats help:)
I get the same thing from Sisko?

I'm working one those 3.Yeah, treats do help?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sisko tried to bite my neck a little bit ago while he was playing, what should I do if that happens again?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
What did you do when it happened? I'm sure it was a surprise and since he was playing, I'd bet it was just more youthful exuberance uncontained.

I'd try the standby of simply turning away, walking away when he offers an unacceptable behavior. Remove the fun (you) for a very short time. He'll learn that if he goes too far, you remove your attention.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just sat there like kinda stunned like?. It was! Okay?. I feel like it was too, but it really surprised me and kinda scared me. Sisko seems to be so different than any other dog I've had. I know every dog is different though.

Okay, I'll try it. Thank you Rose n poos!

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Poodles are mouthy and a jumping Spoo could reach your neck... Distraction, LAT, or game over. When Buck went high, I went low. Treats on the ground, hands with treats down. Focus him with his repertoire of commands. You’ll get there.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Poodles are mouthy and a jumping Spoo could reach your neck... Distraction, LAT, or game over. When Buck went high, I went low. Treats on the ground, hands with treats down. Focus him with his repertoire of commands. You’ll get there.
Okay, thank you?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sisko has been doing VERY WELL! He's been behaving much better all around especially in the past 3-4 days and he's been more willing to listen to me and just seems happier which makes me happier as well!

He's greets my mom way more calmly when she comes home from work, he will sit and lay down on command outside now without distractions.

We still have a long way to go, but I think we're doing great so far??!

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
I am so glad your efforts are showing results - keep up the excellent work, both!

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Good job keeping up with your training and your record of what you are doing. You are making progress, just make sure you don't become too dependent on using the bully stick as a lure. Make sure you work on turning it into a reward for doing the desired behavior for random and increasig duration without heavy distractions, then add some distance.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Good boy Sisko! Yes it seems at 2 a light bulb suddenly comes on saying What! Oh thats want your asking me to do, well ok...
Sisko says thank you! Yeah, it's like ?
? It didn't come out right. The lightbulb was supposed to be above the Poodle

21 - 40 of 49 Posts