Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to talk about it or make it public, but this is also what can happen when you're a pet owner that no one likes to talk about. I had to put Sisko down. He had become increasingly aggressive with my family and stopped listening to us completely. He would give my family just a dead stare everytime they asked him to do something. He almost killed one of our cats. If I wasn't there to help my mom, Perses would have died. Then he bit my mom 2 days later while she gave him a treat. It was no accident at all.

I had hoped to rehome him, and I contacted several rescues, but they either wouldn't take him due to animal aggression or aggression toward people. I talked to a behaviorist and she said that I needed to put him down. I'm still very upset, but it was for the best. He never acted like a normal dog, but I can't really describe it, but you would have had to be there to understand. I tried my hardest with him to where I exhausted myself with him. We should have been so much further with training.

Some people think that he may have had a brain tumor. He could have a had grown rapidly in October like he was a puppy again.

I have had dogs all my life and never had one that acted like him and neither had my mom. That was traumatizing for me, my family, and my cats. After that I said that I didn't want to work with dogs for awhile. I saw a job for Petsmart. They're looking for a dog trainer, so I'm about to apply.

We also want another dog, because we have missed having one, but will have to talk to my cats vet about what the best options would be because they're traumatized.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
(((Gentle hugs))). That has to be one of the hardest things to do and I’m so sorry. Wish I could hug you in person.

I hope if you need help you have access to speak to a therapist. You’re so young to have to deal with this.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(((Gentle hugs))). That has to be one of the hardest things to do and I’m so sorry. Wish I could hug you in person.

I hope if you need help you have access to speak to a therapist. You’re so young to have to deal with this.
Thank you, so much for your kind words, Skylar. I appreciate it so much. Yes, that was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

I think I can have access to a good therapist if I need one.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
I was wondering why we hadn't heard much from you lately. I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision.

Years ago I read a very moving article someone wrote about needing to euthanize her rescue dog because of behavior issues. She had invested huge amounts of effort in this dog. Training, medication, rearranging her family's lifestyle to reduce stresses...and the dog was still paranoid and overreactive. He wasn't having a great life, and she wasn't either. Eventually she concluded the dog was, simply, mentally ill.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I read the article you were talking about, Cowpony. There’s a difference with putting your dog down due to mental illness. It’s not the same has putting a dog down due to other health problems.

·
Premium Member
12,890 Posts
I am so very sorry. As Skylar says, I hope you have people to talk to who really understand.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I am so, so sorry Fenris. That was a really brave decision. I know you tried very hard with him. If you get that trainer job at PetSmart, or really, anywhere, or when you are ready for another dog, I know all the things you have learned will help. Best wishes for that application!

My parents once took in a rehomed dog. It grew increasingly aggressive. They wanted to put it down because I was a young child, and it was being nasty to their other dog/me. They contacted the original owners, who took it back. A few months later, it attacked and killed the original owners other dog without provocation in front of their young kids, and had to be put down. My parents felt guilty - thought they should have just put it down without telling the original owners, and spared the kids the trauma.

You made the safest decision for everyone.

I know a dog put down at age 3 due to a brain tumour. It's behaviour really did change in the last few months.

Hugs, hugs, hugs.

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Fenris-Wolf what you had to do was very difficult but it was for the best, I am sorry that you had to go through this

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. I know how hard you tried to work with Sisko. That was a difficult decision and I'm sending you peace. Like Skylar, I wish I could hug you in person. If you need to talk, I'm here.

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
Aww this is so sad to hear, but you should remember that you worked very hard to build a great relationship with Sisko. If he had a real neurological problem like a brain tumor then making the decision to let him go was the most corageous and kindest thing you could have done. You put his needs above your own affection for him. You protected your family and your other animals.

I know locally a couple of people who have had to make the same decision with dogs that really had intractable problems. One had generalized aggression and was a danger to his owner (who like you was young and not so experienced in this kind of decision making). The other was a very experienced dog trainer who had done tremendous work with a rescued Aussie who was a very bad resource guarder and had lots of fears of men. She conquered the fear of men and had developed strategies for the resource guarding. All seemed like it was going to be okay until the dog bit her on the face as she put a food bowl down for him. She needed a cosmetic surgeon to suture her face but still had scars to show for it. Sadly you are not alone in your experience.

There are some dogs that just aren't fixable for a variety of reasons and I am truly sorry this was the road you and Sisko had to go down. I hope you can find some peace with your family this week.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am so sorry you had to do this, after all you invested in Sisko. I think you did one of the most difficult things an animal person can ever do. Please take care, and know that many of your Poodle Forum friends (PFFs) are here for you!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Fenris,

You have been on a tough, heartbreaking journey. My heart goes out to you. I’m glad you already know that sharing grief and difficulties with supportive friends is the path of endurance, a path forward.
Peace to you (and your cats).

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
Elizabeth that was particularly nicely said. Fenris I hope you know we all are here for support as you need it. Please don't hesitate to ask. I think we are all concerned for your well being.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts