Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking Sisko potty earlier. That's when IT HAPPENED! Sisko met his match, who was his epic opponent? You might ask. It was none other than the horrible lamppost! ?

Sisko got his leash wrapped (just half way wrapped around) the lamppost and couldn't figure out that he had to turn the other way to free himself. So he tried looking at me like: mama, I'm stuck??, then he looked like? so he biting his leash and since those 2 things didn't work he got an idea, DIG! The only thing he got out of that was an earthworm (he didn't seem to notice it) then he just stood there like? so then I guided him with a treat and tried again and the same thing HAPPENED. Mama, I'm stuck? and I can't get to you?, I'll try biting my leash! I'll TRY DIGGING! didn't work ?.

·
Premium Member
23,184 Posts
Very funny that such smart dogs can be so clueless sometimes. If Lily gets a little tangled on her leash I can just give it a little tug and she picks up the leg the leash is hung up on after which I let the leash go slack and she is free (clever girl). On the other hand if this happens with Javelin he has no clue how to help himself and I have to do all the untangling.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very funny that such smart dogs can be so clueless sometimes. If Lily gets a little tangled on her leash I can just give it a little tug and she picks up the leg the leash is hung up on after which I let the leash go slack and she is free (clever girl). On the other hand if this happens with Javelin he has no clue how to help himself and I have to do all the untangling.
Ha ha! That's funny. Lily is like: I got this? and Javelin is like: I'm stuck and I don't know what to do?. How old is Javelin now?

·
Premium Member
23,184 Posts
Ha ha! That's funny. Lily is like: I got this? and Javelin is like: I'm stuck and I don't know what to do?. How old is Javelin now?

Javelin will be five in May and Lily is eleven. She taught herself that leash trick for the most part. I kind of thing this is a clever girl vs. goofball boy thing. He has certainly seen her fix the leash problem herself many times.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Javelin will be five in May and Lily is eleven. She taught herself that leash trick for the most part. I kind of thing this is a clever girl vs. goofball boy thing. He has certainly seen her fix the leash problem herself many times.
Awwww. Whoa! Lily doesn't even look it.

I didn't want to say it, but I was thinking the same! Sisko's extremely silly

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
Pogo is always going around the wrong side of a tree or phone pole. He seems mostly unable to figure out how to go back the right way to get himself untangled. It's odd. None of my previous dogs had trouble with the concept. I've tried shaming him with comparisons to previous pets: "You're a poodle. Poodles are supposed to be smart. How can a cocker spaniel figure this out and you can't?" The shaming seems to have no effect whatsoever, apart from the fact that his ears twitch when he hears the word, "poodle."

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pogo is always going around the wrong side of a tree or phone pole. He seems mostly unable to figure out how to go back the right way to get himself untangled. It's odd. None of my previous dogs had trouble with the concept. I've tried shaming him with comparisons to previous pets: "You're a poodle. Poodles are supposed to be smart. How can a cocker spaniel figure this out and you can't?" The shaming seems to have no effect whatsoever, apart from the fact that his ears twitch when he hears the word, "poodle."
?????

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Neo just hasn't ever done it yet, but Remo did and went straight to Panicville. He wasn't thrashing or anything but I could see it scared him. I got him calmed down then kept drawing the route with my finger in the air. That and a bit of reining got him back in sorts. Since then, he's very careful to not get himself in that position again.

On the other hand, Remo is very good about keeping his legs and the leash separate. Neo just goes along with it any which way til I stop him and say "fix". He's getting the idea to raise the offending leg to free the leash.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neo just hasn't ever done it yet, but Remo did and went straight to Panicville. He wasn't thrashing or anything but I could see it scared him. I got him calmed down then kept drawing the route with my finger in the air. That and a bit of reining got him back in sorts. Since then, he's very careful to not get himself in that position again.

On the other hand, Remo is very good about keeping his legs and the leash separate. Neo just goes along with it any which way til I stop him and say "fix". He's getting the idea to raise the offending leg to free the leash.
Oh, no! Not Panicville! He's like: I'm not letting that happen ever again?

?

·
Registered
501 Posts
That story is so funny! I love how the wheels starting turning and he went through his escape tactics again after getting stuck a second time. Awww.
Twice Lacey has gotten her leash wrapped around the shepherd hook in my yard. She has no clue why she’s stuck and gets scared so that she just freezes and looks at me for help. Normally she’s miss crazy spunky girl. If the leash gets tangled in her legs she can figure that out, but it’s apparent she feels it’s a waste of good walk time to have to deal with such things.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That story is so funny! I love how the wheels starting turning and he went through his escape tactics again after getting stuck a second time. Awww.
Twice Lacey has gotten her leash wrapped around the shepherd hook in my yard. She has no clue why she’s stuck and gets scared so that she just freezes and looks at me for help. Normally she’s miss crazy spunky girl. If the leash gets tangled in her legs she can figure that out, but it’s apparent she feels it’s a waste of good walk time to have to deal with such things.
Oh, no! Not little Lacy? So she just like....dang it, the emoji won't show up. Awwww?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts