Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos of Thinker and his siblings, Thinker as a baby growing and colour changing a bit, Thinker's daughter Joy with my Mom and then at about 2 1/2 years old, and a few of the old gent long after his colour was well cleared.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first four photos are Thinker's daughter Ch. Bibelot Josol Cherod Silverjoy (CGN, CD, RN) and the balance are Thinker. You will have a blast watching your boy change colour and become all he can be!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Oh wow did his colour ever change. Its amazing to see the transformation!! It must have been almost like waiting to open a present to see what's inside to watch him slowly change colour and finally see what a beautiful even silver that he turned out to be. Your mother must have been so pleased with the final results.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh wow did his colour ever change. Its amazing to see the transformation!! It must have been almost like waiting to open a present to see what's inside to watch him slowly change colour and finally see what a beautiful even silver that he turned out to be. Your mother must have been so pleased with the final results.
Well it is the complete opposite to the reds. With the reds, you clip their face and feet and hoping the colour closer to the skin with be darker. And with the silvers, you clip their little faces and start seeing the colour change, it is so precious. When they are born the only tiny indicator that they will not be black is they have a few light hairs between the pads on their feet. But you really have no idea how good their colour is going to be until they start aging, and more haircuts. Then it is like "WOWIE!!When did thaT HAPPEN???" A fun butg nerve racking process whatever colour you are breeding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, Thinker is a gorgeous guy! Such a light silver color. I hope Jester ends up with a coat half as beautiful as his. It's hard to believe that the coat changes color so much. I am dying to pick him up and see what he looks like under all that fluff. I'll post a pic once I get him, but remember, he is a rescue and was matted badly so this probably is not him at his full potential!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, Thinker is a gorgeous guy! Such a light silver color. I hope Jester ends up with a coat half as beautiful as his. It's hard to believe that the coat changes color so much. I am dying to pick him up and see what he looks like under all that fluff. I'll post a pic once I get him, but remember, he is a rescue and was matted badly so this probably is not him at his full potential!
Oh we all know that! Not too worry! I think because his head is so light at this age, his colour will be really beautiful under there.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
wow! the change is amazing! Teddy is Silver beige and when I rescued him I thought I ws getting a dark brown dog - surprise!! but a nice surprise!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the silver beige is very pretty and if you are happy with it, that is fabulous!! Yes watching them go from little black babies to the silver faces and feet to the whole dog being all silver does something to you. It is very endearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is Jester after a marathon visit to the groomer. For anyone who does not know, he was a rescue from our county pound. He was so matted he had to be shaved to the skin on his belly, chest, and inner thighs. They were unable to save his leg hair, it was just too tough on him and he has been through enough already. His color is much lighter already and I think he will be a beautiful guy once it grows in.

Here are his before and after:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He looks fabulolus!! Now he is like a little blank slate and you can start looking after his coat and grow his coat so you can have him in whatever clip you want. I would ask next time for her to clean his face better than that because it will grow really quickly and begin to get into his eyes and his mouth will get sloppy. But all in all he looks really good and his colour is nice. He obviously has himself a new friend already. That is lovely to see. I am so glad you got him!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had them leave his face a little longer. I was not ready to go all in on the shaved face, as I liked him fuzzy. I may consider it at some point, but it will take me a while to get used to his new look as is.

I also have to take responsibility for his mangled top knot. The day I got him he was running into walls so I just started hacking away above his eyes. Whoops! Obviously not an experienced poodle owner here, but I am learning now.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
He looks so HAPPY!!! And so much better wow. I love it. The face does grow pretty fast.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it is commendable that you took this guy on, even though the shelter tried to convince you he was more than a handful, and have gotten him to the groomer and have been working so well with him already!! I have a feeling this is going to be a matchmade in Heaven. You will figure it all out in time.

I would look at having him groomed every six to eight weeks so he gets his ears and nails tended to, gets a nice bath and it will keep the hair out of his eyes. You will need to give him a very thorough brsuh out once a week at least. People like you give me hope in the human race!! Way to go! Now just go and have a wonderful, long, happy and healthy life together. I hope you will post photos so we can keep abreast of his progress.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You will be surprised how quickly the face grows in. I am not a huge fan of Captain's shaved face either, but after about 3 days, it's just perfect. Two weeks post groom it's already starting to look too long again. But, like in your other post, I think he's beautiful!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Jester looks great! I'll chime in with the others on taking the face closer, that area grows fast. Congratulations on such a handsome boy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it is commendable that you took this guy on, even though the shelter tried to convince you he was more than a handful, and have gotten him to the groomer and have been working so well with him already!! I have a feeling this is going to be a matchmade in Heaven. You will figure it all out in time.

I would look at having him groomed every six to eight weeks so he gets his ears and nails tended to, gets a nice bath and it will keep the hair out of his eyes. You will need to give him a very thorough brsuh out once a week at least. People like you give me hope in the human race!! Way to go! Now just go and have a wonderful, long, happy and healthy life together. I hope you will post photos so we can keep abreast of his progress.
Well, thank you! I strongly believe in rescue and I know that you can get a wonderful dog, even from the local pound. He stank, was matted, and was very excitable but I saw the potential in him. He loves kids and all people and animals. I wanted a standard poodle and just waited for one to come my way. Proof that you CAN get a wonderful, pure bred dog/puppy at your local shelter! My other dog is a lab/whippet?/greyhound? mix. He was a foster dog that I just could not part with after 6 months of him not being adopted. I doubt I will ever purchase a puppy again (I have previously had 2 pure bred labs from breeders).

I have set aside a jar that I plan on putting $10 in a week for his grooming, that way money for this just isn't an object. I may decide to tackle it myself at some point.

Next on the list is professional obedience training. He gets free classes through the shelter. They even have an agility course right there at the facility! I think he is so smart he has real potential to excel.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Silvers are nice. It is like having too dogs, one black and then a few months later you have a silver. Both dogs are beautiful. How long does it take to turn all silver?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts