Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the AKC standard does not allow for multicolored poodles.

When I look at a silver, I see a pattern going on, not a solid color to the skin. especially on the silvers.

The legs are lighter than the rest of the dog, even on mature dogs.
Why are these considered solid colored dogs? (sorry if I seem ignorant here, color is not my forte)

I have 2 silvers (1 is a toy, 1 is a standard) and my mother in law has 2 silver standards and they all have the same lighter legs, and darker body. the standards are all from the same breeder, who is a show breeder, and specializes in silver and blue.

I've just always wondered, Thanks

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I've heard more than one Silver breeder speculate that a number of Silvers are actually Phantoms but the color pattern is hidden in the clearing process. I too have seen Silvers that look like they have a "saddle" pattern. Certainly, looking a Phantom pedigrees, you will often see silver in the background.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cbrand, Its something I have always wondered about.
I think they are pretty, but I do not think I will ever really be "into" silvers (I dont like the "coat scarring" thing)

It just seems odd that a dog that has 2 different shade/colors is accepted if it is silver, but not if they are parti,phantom or brindle.

Is silver a newly accepted color?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Thats an intersting question that I've never really considered before. I think Saleen is going to be one of those silvers who never really completely clears, guess thats a bad silver? *shrugs* I know she isn't finished but she has the lighter legs and body and the hair on her tail, ears, and back of neck belnding down into her body is very dark. He ears are very very dark and she has tons of black gaurd hairs all over except on the legs. She is out of a silver and white party though so does that make a difference?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Thanks Cbrand, Its something I have always wondered about.
I think they are pretty, but I do not think I will ever really be "into" silvers (I dont like the "coat scarring" thing)
[/QUOTE

That's a new term for me, what is coat scarring?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think by coat scarring she means the color change in a coat when there has been skin damage. The hair grows in a different color so you end up with spots. I have personally seen this on Silvers, Browns (all variations) and Apricots. I don't know if it happens on Reds but it does not happen to Blacks and Whites/Creams.

I recently saw this on Delilah. This winter she was attacked by 4 dogs while on a hike. They savaged her pretty good, but I though she was ok. Her show coat must have been hiding the damage because there are three spots on her body where the hair is growing in dark, dark brown and pretty straight (I'll see if I can get a picture). My handler says that she thinks the hair will eventually right itself and grow back in correctly. We will see.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I've heard more than one Silver breeder speculate that a number of Silvers are actually Phantoms but the color pattern is hidden in the clearing process. I too have seen Silvers that look like they have a "saddle" pattern. Certainly, looking a Phantom pedigrees, you will often see silver in the background.

I heard the same thing also

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I thought the standard said it has to be a clear color at the skin and that some shading is allowed. I've often wondered why Silver is allowed but Sables aren't. Sables are an even color at the skin and when they mature often their ears are the only place w/ shading.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Yes, it happens in reds. When Holly had her S/A done, where they did the three skin punches came in the colour she was when she was four months old and she looked polka dotted.

If Thinker licks a spot (he is one to worry a wound) it will come in jet black and will need to grow out over time, and eventually clears to the colour of the rest of him.

He has no dark areas. He is platinum from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail, perfectly even colour all over and to the skin. He is the product of a silver father and white mother.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I myself love the silvers, and I have thought this for ages now... just looking at the pattern of the clearing, and even on mature dogs, it is exactly the same as this phantom marking..

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris is a very pale cream (ie white, but not ice-white!) and she gets an apricot spot on any damaged skin, it's also usually very coarse and straight too. She still has one lil spot growing out, that I had no idea how she even got it until I found the coarse lil apricot hairs growing in over a scar one day when drying her! lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Paris is a very pale cream (ie white, but not ice-white!) and she gets an apricot spot on any damaged skin, it's also usually very coarse and straight too. She still has one lil spot growing out, that I had no idea how she even got it until I found the coarse lil apricot hairs growing in over a scar one day when drying her! lol
Jazz is the same way, though she is a darker creme than Paris. There have been a couple of places where the hair has come in darker but then eventually returned to the correct color.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I was looking at silvers the other day thinking that they have phantom markings (I think it's beautiful) but it is interesting that they're allowed in the AKC and the multicolors aren't? Huh.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just curious, but does anyone think that muticolored poodles will eventually be allowed by the AKC standard?

Can multicolored poodles be shown anywhere other than UKC?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Thinking about this again, if a dog was a true phantom, it would have that coloring as a puppy. Perhaps, the silvers with patterning are really just a case of silvers not clearing completely.

·
Registered
518 Posts
here is a phantom that was NOT born with the markings. If he was put in pattern you might not notice the cream legs due to the shaved areas. the tail patch could be powdered and the cheek spot are very small.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Great examples - it can be confusing........:eek:hwell: I just love the sable beauty!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Olie,

the Sable beauty has a coat from He!!...LOL!!! I hope it gets better with age.

We might come to a show in Sanford NC the first weekend of June...love to see you there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts