Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, can you guys tell if it’s a full poodle by the pictures. ? Haven’t had no luck finding a breeder but found this little guy today.
The gentleman says he has AKC Register Dad and Mom, just don’t want be scammed. Is there a way other than paper work for me to check the puppy once I see him to make sure it’s not a mix of any other kind ?

Thank you for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
He's very cute. How old is he?

All you can do to be positive is a DNA test. Looks can be debated for years but If his parents are AKC registered as purebred poodles, and they actually are poodles, not just registered that way (doesn't happen often but has been known), then a DNA test will be pretty definitive since it only needs to verify one generation back and to a well tested gene sampling.

Just looking at him, I think he could be but can't be sure. I can't really tell anything about his conformation. Here's something to look over to help you determine when you see him. I wouldn't expect him to meet the highest standards of this, I know my boys wouldn't, but it's a guide for you.

Ask and answer for yourself, how much will it matter to you if he isn't?

The more I look and enlarge, the more I think he probably is all poodle. Mostly, it's the expression in his eyes. He just almost looks sad to me but I think I see intelligence there too. One of my girls had those "old soul" eyes.

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
Are you able to meet the parents to ensure they're healthy, well cared for, and have desirable temperaments? That will also help you to confirm this really is a poodle puppy.

He's very cute, but his coat does remind me a little of my Gracie's at that age. According to her DNA test, she was half miniature poodle.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Here's my mini, Remo, at 12 weeks.

And this little toy guy

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did they say why the puppy is not registered?
On looks I would say he isn’t a full poodle and possibly has some yorkie in him. His coat isn’t quite wooly and isn’t silver either, as silver starts at the roots but he is greying similarly to a Yorkie. Either way he is very cute and I’d be tempted to have him.
My main concern would be health tests of the parents and I would want to see the dam with the pup to ensure he isn’t from a puppy farm and the mother is healthy and has a good temperament.

·
Super Moderator
1,507 Posts
I would also guess not full poodle. As a puppy, a silver poodle should still be mostly black, not as silver coloured as this. The face shape also doesn’t look quite right to me, though I don’t know toys as well as standards.
I agree that a silver puppy shouldn't be this light at this age. It's got some other color pattern. Brindle and other interesting color variations do, rarely, occur in poodles, but they are more common in terriers. Considering the rarity, I would expect the breeder to be trumpeting the puppy as a brindle or whatever if that's what she has.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It's hard to tell with puppies. I've had poodle mixes that looked more poodley as puppies, but when grown, looked very different. A DNA test would have to be done.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
He doesn’t have good conformation (which makes me suspect his breeder did no health testing and doesn’t care about the breed) and I don’t think he is full poodle. Maybe not even half, it’s hard to tell. He looks like he has teckel in him to me.

You can do so much better. Find a good, ethical breeder, even if you need to wait a little.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would venture to say he's not full poodle, buuuuuttt I'm a sucker for the tiny babies and probably would've taken him home bc he's super adorable. I have nooooo puppy control.... 😂

·
Registered
474 Posts
did they maybe clip him down all over? usually they're little floof balls at pick up age and in spots his coat looks like it has some longer pieces.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Seriously good point about the coloring.
Check out the Silver thread in Poodle Rainbow to compare.
Looking again now, I see that more *upright" face or a Yorkie or summat.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
That is not a silver poodle puppy. If this is what the "breeder" told you - I would look for another puppy AND definitely another breeder.

I have a silver minipoo. When born they are completely black - as black as puppies that will remain black. When they shave the face around 4-6 weeks you see a slightly silver, less black face but the body remains black. They slowly turn silver over a year or more.

Also it's hard to tell, but it looks like the puppy's feet turn out instead of being straight which may be a conformation problem.

This sticky has excellent information to help you find the right puppy. Buying a puppy safely - the basics

·
Registered
362 Posts
Has he had a trim?
The more I see the pic the more I see a yorkie tbh. Especially the one of him standing his body and feet are that of a pet yorkie

·
Registered
474 Posts
After some closer research, I could be wrong but the silver pups when it comes to toys seem to not be all black to start. They seem to have a really good base of silver at young ages. I found this pic of a puppy around 12 weeks and he looks pretty close. I kinda think he could be and for whatever reason they may have trimmed him all over

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you look in the last pic of your puppy you can see where the fur looks cut by the eye because it’s suck a straight line. I totally could be wrong but most of the smaller toys don’t seem as black as the standards when they’re small.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I personally wouldnt buy that puppy, just because I dont like the body language. He looks to be shying away from the picture taker and huddling in a safe spot, rather than climbing on top of them or exploring (which is the reaction of most confident, well socialized puppies). I cant speak to the colour or the structure as I dont have a toy poodle, but I would pass on this one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts