Poodle Forum banner

Silver?? Red?? SILVER!! Rant

11368 Views 58 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  NOLA Standards
I cannot help but love these two colors. I might REALLY like to have a silver standard someday.:):)

I have been searching around looking on sites and stumbled across a site that had LOTS of colors (poodles, mini, standard...) and puppies, grant it was looking real bad already but I thought I would put my knowledge I have gained reading posts on here and there it was in bold letters........ahh pretty purple font: WE SHIP SEMEN, seriously - IMO I think some people go way to far!
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
12,232 Posts
Exactly. Bibelot has frozen semen from Thinker, the silver boy who lives here. He has sired over thirty five litters, but it was my Moms dream that someday, maybe ten years down the road, he be reintroduced into the silver lines. It would be an asset to the lines for sure...amazing colour, incredible temperament, pups that have gone on to be conformation, obedience, agility, field, herding and hunting champs. Could not ever even dream of it without the technology out there today.

· Registered
24 Posts
Not exposed to the other dog?

Sorry not being trying to be ignorant I truely am not educated enough about breeding but I seriously don't get it. There must be a lot more money involved than i thought.
This is a very GOOD question!

I'll toss my two sents into the conversation and hopefully help answer your question.

Doggy Venereal Disease in addition to diversifying the gene pool. The later has already been nicely covered.

~canine transmissible venereal tumor

~ Herpes

~ Brucellosis ... this is a serious issue for a breeder. An infected dog must be altered and in some states put down because this is highly contagious and transferable to humans. One dog can contaminate a whole kennel. Look it up ... for a good read see Brucellosis in dogs: Causes and symptoms - by Frank Will - Helium

Breeding takes education and precaution. It's also very costly when done right. I’m just at the education stage. Hope this helps answer your question.

· Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I dislike this OLD thread LOL - I over reacted / misinterpreted something and since have moved on.

Anyway my understanding and clarification is great now. I ended up with a silver from a great breeder.:act-up:

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I find this stuff fascinating. I didn't know diddly squat when I got my first poodle....I always thought the AKC was sort of a country club, more than a kennel club. Its all in who you know. But I do believe that THINKER's semen reintroduced in the future is such a brilliant idea. Those old type good poodles are getting to be scarcer and scarcer. That's how I feel about my Ben, my silver gentleman.

· Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I agree - and the AI for me today ;) is a wonderful option. Also I was not aware of a couple of those STD's in doggy terms.

· Registered
762 Posts
Sorry, Olie. Didn't even notice until the end it was an "old" thread and I was finding it interesting (it took a brief "daytime tv" turn but quickly righted!).

Earlier this month Carter - Kaylen's Moments of Glory - came to New Orleans for Ruby. I paid - as it was more economical for me than leaving work for 4 days and less stressful for my bitch.

Kay was awesome enough to allow this with a brucellosis test for Ruby - so we did 2 live breedings and one fresh AI.

I learned a LOT! with the AI - even though I grew up on a farm and my brother raises bulls for the PBR. :alberteinstein:

That said - I chose Carter through research - NOT through some highlight on a web page. For me, I'd MUCH rather see an ad in a breed stud issue. An ad on a website is certainly not an animal I would ever want to use.

And as for Yessie...well if there had been anything odd colored in her last litter - I would have been jumping through whatever hoops I could've to be considered for one (read snowball chance in hell - they were all black).

Both my girls even have Snapper in their pedigrees. Not too surprising maybe, considering the number of times he was used - but to me he isn't nearly as scary as some of the other studs who have sired nations...

· Registered
413 Posts
That said - I chose Carter through research - NOT through some highlight on a web page. For me, I'd MUCH rather see an ad in a breed stud issue. An ad on a website is certainly not an animal I would ever want to use.

Sincerely asked.... Why? (not the research of course).

I have perception problems... I don't always perceive things or understand things in the same way others do.

To me, advertising is advertising. Where the ad is at doesn't have any genetic influence at all. Why would advertising on a website be a deal breaker for you?

Just curious....

Congratulations on your breeding!

· Registered
762 Posts
yaddaluvpoodles...

'cause I'm a poodle snob snob :drama: with an advertising degree! (and an English degree, but somehow my writing fails to show it!)

Really though, I don't think a purple ticker tape would draw me. I'm completely devoted to this Red AKC Ch goal of mine. For me, that means I have traveled from coast to coast (honestly or maybe ridiculously) to go to shows and breed club meets.

Tip toeing along a rant line now... My goal is to breed a healthy litter with multiple show prospects. To truly do that, I need to understand what makes a good show prospect - taking all things into account- my preferred type, conformation, carriage and temperment, etc - and always health. I also must understand the lines my girls are from and how they develop. I have to brutally critique what I have and where I need improvement (I'm my own harshest critic and I am SO not kennel blind! Constantly I am floored at how kennel blind so many breeders are and how they will deny health issues in their lines- heading into the rant abyss - sorry!)

Anyway, my girls are evidence of the gems in some back yards - Michele's gonna kill me for saying that! ha but can I get an Amen! - so I won't completely discount that there would be a stud out there in another. I just think for me - it's much more likely that I will see a dog in a competition ring (Carter was at PCA in the stud dog class AND in the obedience ring)- go over him - research his pedigree, search for health issues - (gossip about for those not so readily admited health issues!) and chose from that method.

Tabatha

· Registered
762 Posts
I've only been to one PBR. I was cringing the entire time! Forgive me if I don't understand raising something that wants to hurt you whenever you go to feed it! :afraid:

This year he has a 3 year old in the top 25 so he has been invited to Las Vegas. Sorry I don't know the names. The only one I know is BUZZARD. hee hee It's a South American bull of his. The reason I know his name is because my nephew - by the time he was 3 - would stomp his foot and screw up his face and say in an imitation of his daddy's voice, "BACK OFF! BUZZARD!!!"

· Registered
762 Posts
And NEVER a rodeo, but a PBR event!!

I know (of) Yellow Jacket, and Kid Rock and Mossy Oak Gunslinger and Belle's Bleu adn Bodacious. (I think I have those names right - ask me about a dog! ha)

Really, I'm always so worried those guys are going to get hurt. My brother's a huge man - 6'5 - looks like a linebacker - and bull went over on him in a shoot one day - banged him up pretty bad but somehow managed not to break his ribs and standing beside most folks he's a giant. Beside those bulls he doesn't seem big at all. And the riders are small!! guys! I had NO idea! but it makes sense needing to stick to the back of those angry things like they have to do to win (live!).

Sorry about hijacking the thread...

· Premium Member
2,956 Posts
One more hijack... have you seen the movie 8 Seconds? I love/hate that movie! Makes me sob like a baby every time I watch it! Cowboy UP!!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.