Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot help but love these two colors. I might REALLY like to have a silver standard someday.:):)

I have been searching around looking on sites and stumbled across a site that had LOTS of colors (poodles, mini, standard...) and puppies, grant it was looking real bad already but I thought I would put my knowledge I have gained reading posts on here and there it was in bold letters........ahh pretty purple font: WE SHIP SEMEN, seriously - IMO I think some people go way to far!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the amount of pups she had I assume people really do that more often then we think. Here is my thing - how is the customer to receive that? I would think if you were a reputable breeder - I don't think I would advertise that where potential owners are seeking companians.....And yeah the ick factor as well.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yeaahh.. studding dogs via vials is a little weird.. I can see how it can be more convienent though.
In the dog show world this is a very common practice . It protects the female from being exposed to anything and it protects the female from having to travel . I have my Champion BISS male setter collected hoping someday to find something worthy :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the dog show world this is a very common practice . It protects the female from being exposed to anything and it protects the female from having to travel . I have my Champion BISS male setter collected hoping someday to find something worthy :)
Not exposed to the other dog?

Sorry not being trying to be ignorant I truely am not educated enough about breeding but I seriously don't get it. There must be a lot more money involved than i thought.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
she means artificial insemination

I read that some breeds like the English Bulldog have to be artificially inseminated because of the way the females uterus is shaped
and I could understand the show dog thing, why put the female or male in jeopardy of being injured from the breeding that they might need shaved?

but I would be a little icked out about the purple message of seminal fluids xD

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she means artificial insemination

I read that some breeds like the English Bulldog have to be artificially inseminated because of the way the females uterus is shaped
and I could understand the show dog thing, why put the female or male in jeopardy of being injured from the breeding that they might need shaved?

but I would be a little irked out about the purple message of seminal fluids xD
Lol, I know what she meant Keithsomething thanks:)

I guess I can get that, BUT as a customer and for people like me who are more about the dog as a companion/pet its hard to swallow seeing that.:rolffleyes:

Interesting tidbit about the EB, that I can understand. Another dog my BF loves.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See thats kind of one of my points when handling a situation this way - How do they know this will happen, who witnesses this?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Oh ok XD
I just wanted to share one of my many useless facts that are stored in my brain

I agree I dunno why they had "WE SHIP SEMEN" instead of something like "WE HAVE A STUD SERVICE(email/call for questions)" lol
but I'd be pretty weirded out by that

But I'm not a person into dog shows or breeding so maybe those people aren't to worried about that fact?
((not that anyone should be worried I just didn't want to over use the phrases "ickked out" or "weired out" xDD ))

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I mean...don't quote me on the EB thing, I just remember reading it when I was doing my research on dog breeds ((which fit best with our family...that sort of thing))

I'm sure a breeder might be able to say if it were true or not

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh ok XD
I just wanted to share one of my many useless facts that are stored in my brain

I agree I dunno why they had "WE SHIP SEMEN" instead of something like "WE HAVE A STUD SERVICE(email/call for questions)" lol
but I'd be pretty weirded out by that

But I'm not a person into dog shows or breeding so maybe those people aren't to worried about that fact?
((not that anyone should be worried I just didn't want to over use the phrases "ickked out" or "weired out" xDD ))
Never useless!! I am a sponge right now trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Never useless!! I am a sponge right now trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks
Okay need to calrify
Some breeders offer the frozen semen approach. A: So that they do not have to expose their dogs to another incoming female dog. Whether it be to pests or dickness or just stress... Plus the fact that this person (FEMALE dog owner ) may live really far away and they may not want to fly the girl in for a breeding. There are many reasons. Do I think they need to place this on the website ? No I do not ..If you do not show , breed or travel with your dog this would be hard for you to understand..But if you have been in the dog world for a while then this makes perfect senxe to you .... HA HA There are really alot of very strange things that go on out there. they have used the frozen fresh semen thing in cattle for YEARS.. This is not new...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
oh I know its not new,
artificial insemination isn't new.
I just ((as a known breeder/shower)) find it odd that thats the way the person chose to advertise it

and I understand why its done =]

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay need to calrify
Some breeders offer the frozen semen approach. A: So that they do not have to expose their dogs to another incoming female dog. Whether it be to pests or dickness or just stress... Plus the fact that this person (FEMALE dog owner ) may live really far away and they may not want to fly the girl in for a breeding. There are many reasons. Do I think they need to place this on the website ? No I do not ..If you do not show , breed or travel with your dog this would be hard for you to understand..But if you have been in the dog world for a while then this makes perfect senxe to you .... HA HA There are really alot of very strange things that go on out there. they have used the frozen fresh semen thing in cattle for YEARS.. This is not new...
I understand the "need" in some situations and well aware of livestock practices I am not sure the comparison as a customer makes any sense to advertise on your website -it's one of those things that when you see 8 litters all at once with multiple colors I question the breeders practice. It makes no sense to me what their purpose in this is and the tactics some will go too must ultimatly be money in this case. JMHO.

I am not sure on your other comments, they really dont apply to me -as I am not a dumb person and certainly not going to respond. I guess I struck a nerve, IDK.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Also, I think it's a good way to bring in a line that's absolutely not related to your dog, like many in your area might be.

If you have a show dog, female, and want a litter, you also don't have to fly her off for someone else to breed, especially if she's in a show coat, since I imagine it wouldn't be fair for the stud dog owner to have to take care of that while she's in their care.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, I think it's a good way to bring in a line that's absolutely not related to your dog, like many in your area might be.

If you have a show dog, female, and want a litter, you also don't have to fly her off for someone else to breed, especially if she's in a show coat, since I imagine it wouldn't be fair for the stud dog owner to have to take care of that while she's in their care.
What do you mean like many in my area might be?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you get a puppy locally and want to breed, you may notice that a lot of the local dogs may be related to your pup. Getting genetics shipped in will broaden the gene pool.
Yeah ok...... I know about genetics, artificial insemination and so on..I think the point was missed. I dont agree with the practise on websites and honestly not with any dogs- your comment was ignorant you made and directed just as I read it.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah ok...... I know about genetics, artificial insemination and so on..I think the point was missed. I dont agree with the practise on websites and honestly not with any dogs- your comment was ignorant you made and directed just as I read it.
No. I am making a general point. I am not specifically attacking anyone. I don't know why you're getting so defensive and offended.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts