Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m looking to acquire a Standard Silver Parti Female within the next yr or two and I’m looking for a reputable breeder.

I searched through the forum and found information on breeders: Jacknic, Tintlet, and Crystal Creek; and although they’re amazing breeders, I’m hoping to find a breeder closer to Northern California as I prefer to pick up the puppy in person.

Any information on reputable Silver Parti breeders on the West Coast would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
-Jasmine

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Good luck on your hunt. It may be difficult for a breeder, even one who works with silvers and partis, to guarantee exactly what you want. Silver breeders will outcross to black or blue to get a better body type or reduce inbreeding. Parti expression also varies. My parti boys, Snarky and Pogo, were expected to come out phantom. The spots were a big surprise to their breeder. I had hoped my newest pup, Ritter, would be a parti female. Instead he is a solid boy.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Keep in mind that the standard of the breed for poodles specifies solid color. Anything other than a solid color is a disqualification for the show ring.

So people who deliberately breed for traits that disqualifications may not be breeding to avoid inherited diseases. So do research the parents of the puppy you plan to buy to determine if they were tested for all hereditary problems. Those problems differ for the 3 different sizes of poodles. Here is the list for standard poodles:
  • Hip Dysplasia: OFA or PennHIP Evaluation.
  • Yearly Eye Exam by a boarded ACVO veterinary ophthalmologist.
  • At least one of the following three tests:
OFA Thyroid Evaluation from an OFA approved laboratory.
OFA Sebaceous Adenitis (SA) Evaluation by an OFA approved dermatopathologist.
Heart Evaluation by an ACVIM boarded veterinary cardiologist.

You can go to the OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) web site and search for the testing results for the sire and dam if they have been tested and the results have been sent to OFA. You just need to know the registered name of the sire and dam.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,777 Posts
Quality parti breeders are difficult to find, but since you're starting out with the group you listed in your OP, it's clear that you're serious about quality (which is amazing - ech, the things I have learned...). To add to what cowpony said, reaching out to any quality parti breeders on the West Coast, regardless of color, will likely yield results (especially if the East Coast breeders are slow to respond). I wish I knew of any quality breeders in your region, but I'm just not as connected there.

Another thought: try scoping out the 3 breeders you mentioned on FB and see which breeders they're friends with. It's more work, but there might be clues in the profile photos that indicate West Coast (like a desert background or a t-shirt that reads "San Fernando Agility Trial 2019").

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Limiting the geographic search is understandable but it will be just that, a limit to an already small pool.

You likely already know of these resources but jic:

At least some health testing is supposed to be done to list here

and

UPA (United Poodle Association)
www.unitedpoodleassociation.com

Search the Members List for breeder names. It's not noted which breeders breed multi-color poodles. You'll need to investigate that for yourself.

"The United Poodle Association serves as the pending national association, representing UKC Poodle fanciers across the United States and Canada. UPA puts on an annual Poodle Specialty Show at the UKC Premier dog show in Kalamazoo, Michigan in June."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts