Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
It can kind of be hard to tell with photos because different lighting will make a dog seem more or less black. Here's the same puppy, similar age under different lighting.

And here's the same dog as an adult. Clearly black.

In any case, it's necessary to shave the face to be sure at a young age. You really can't tell much without it. My bet would be that the puppy is silver, but it's just a guess at this point.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Speaking of color changing, just got pics of a puppy I am getting in a few weeks. Curious on the forums thoughts on color. This picture was taken at 5.5 weeks. At 2 weeks old was more of an inky black. She has some white patches under her neck- but very minimal. With the addition of gray (white?) hairs....what color do you think she might be? I don't care much about color, but curious at this point. Sire is inky black show dog color from overseas. Dam is more of a blue. She will be groomed (face, feet, butt) before I bring her home, but hasn't happened just yet so I suppose I will know more then. Is it possible for them to stay a more true black with this many gray/white hairs at such a young age?
Even true blacks can have some white on them, especially patches of white hairs. Misha has a small number on his chin but the skin is all black. His brother has more white hairs in the same spot. So they don't necessarily mean anything. To me the pup shows no signs of anything other than black, but I'd wait for the face shave and then look.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.