Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This is my first post here, as I am about to be a new, first time poodle owner! So excited. But I’ve been researching colors of the poodles and I’m thinking he may not be a typical black poodle.. he is 6 weeks currently with a lot of light gray color under his eyes and on his nose. And some light color on his paws as well. Does this indicate he will turn silver??
Attached pics.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Cute puppies. Wish I could pick them up and cuddle them.

By 6 weeks your breeder should have shaved the face at least once. It doesn’t look like your breeder is preparing your puppy for the grooming required. In addition to the face, the paws and sanitary area should be shaved several times before going to their forever homes. You should shave your puppy‘s face for several months to a year so they are used to shaving even if you keep their adult face fluffy.

Breeders usually shave the puppies faces at 4 week and that is when they can see whether a puppy will be silver or blue. The silver puppy has a lighter silver color, the blue has a gun metal grey shade. I’ve seen pictures of puppies with silver and blue, sitting next to each other and it was easy to see the difference.

If you can post a photo of the shaved face, members here should be able to help you. I have a silver minipoo and it’s fun to watch their color change. It takes several years before you see their final color as the hair lightens over time. My dog has a fun ombré effect.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Welcome! And congratulations on your adorable new addition. :)

I definitely recommend asking your breeder to do at least one face, feet, and sanitary shave before picking him up. That will give you more insight into his colour, and will also make potty training much more pleasant.

Peggy has similar grey under her eyes, which was very defined when she was a puppy:

It's since diffused into her gradually lightening face. I think she's turning blue. Maybe your puppy will, too.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
You can see in Peggy’s adorable shaved face that it’s not as black as her ears, top knot and nose.

A puppy that will remain black, when the face is shaved it’s as black as the top knot, ears and nose.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
You can see in Peggy’s adorable shaved face that it’s not as black as her ears, top knot and nose.

A puppy that will remain black, when the face is shaved it’s as black as the top knot, ears and nose.
Yep! It did take a while to be obvious, though. Here she is at about 4 months:

That's when we first started noticing her face was lighter, but only in certain lighting.

Poodle colours are so fun!!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It can kind of be hard to tell with photos because different lighting will make a dog seem more or less black. Here's the same puppy, similar age under different lighting.

And here's the same dog as an adult. Clearly black.

In any case, it's necessary to shave the face to be sure at a young age. You really can't tell much without it. My bet would be that the puppy is silver, but it's just a guess at this point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speaking of color changing, just got pics of a puppy I am getting in a few weeks. Curious on the forums thoughts on color. This picture was taken at 5.5 weeks. At 2 weeks old was more of an inky black. She has some white patches under her neck- but very minimal. With the addition of gray (white?) hairs....what color do you think she might be? I don't care much about color, but curious at this point. Sire is inky black show dog color from overseas. Dam is more of a blue. She will be groomed (face, feet, butt) before I bring her home, but hasn't happened just yet so I suppose I will know more then. Is it possible for them to stay a more true black with this many gray/white hairs at such a young age?

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Speaking of color changing, just got pics of a puppy I am getting in a few weeks. Curious on the forums thoughts on color. This picture was taken at 5.5 weeks. At 2 weeks old was more of an inky black. She has some white patches under her neck- but very minimal. With the addition of gray (white?) hairs....what color do you think she might be? I don't care much about color, but curious at this point. Sire is inky black show dog color from overseas. Dam is more of a blue. She will be groomed (face, feet, butt) before I bring her home, but hasn't happened just yet so I suppose I will know more then. View attachment 469352
I'm so excited for you. :) Do you have a photo with her face shaved?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not yet :) hopefully in another week or two. Breeder said she will take a closer look and let me know her thoughts but I suppose not much can be assessed until she is shaved. I guess I am more curious if it's possible to stay black with this much white.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Speaking of color changing, just got pics of a puppy I am getting in a few weeks. Curious on the forums thoughts on color. This picture was taken at 5.5 weeks. At 2 weeks old was more of an inky black. She has some white patches under her neck- but very minimal. With the addition of gray (white?) hairs....what color do you think she might be? I don't care much about color, but curious at this point. Sire is inky black show dog color from overseas. Dam is more of a blue. She will be groomed (face, feet, butt) before I bring her home, but hasn't happened just yet so I suppose I will know more then. Is it possible for them to stay a more true black with this many gray/white hairs at such a young age?
Even true blacks can have some white on them, especially patches of white hairs. Misha has a small number on his chin but the skin is all black. His brother has more white hairs in the same spot. So they don't necessarily mean anything. To me the pup shows no signs of anything other than black, but I'd wait for the face shave and then look.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The first puppy looks like it might turn silver. The last puppy pic by Megan looks black to me.

Because it’s fun posting puppy pics, here is my black puppy. A42152DC-28B3-4388-89D4-770B3E375478.jpeg
DA7720E0-2370-44EC-8D02-088877AB245C.jpeg
5A198C3D-3519-40EA-968E-819CABBF5EFB.jpeg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bobby is a silver parti. Shaving the face will definitely give you more information about color.
Here’s Bobby at 12 weeks and then at 21 months. Over the months he gets lighter and lighter. His body is slowly turning more silvery to light grey after each grooming. In certain lighting he looks darker grey and there are definitely areas that are still fairly dark but no longer actually black like when he was a pup. When his color change is complete I think he will be pretty much silver and white. He actually shimmers in the sun. I love the silver!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I love seeing all the poodle pics! 🥰 here’s an updated pic of mine that I will be getting in a week and a half! So excited! And he is getting a lot more white/gray in the muzzle area in just a week!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
love seeing all the poodle pics! 🥰 here’s an updated pic of mine that I will be getting in a week and a half! So excited! And he is getting a lot more white/gray in the muzzle area in just a week!
He's definitely looking silver to me. What a cute face.
I’m thinking so as well! Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Tayrolltide, he does look like he’ll be silver. He also has a white mismark in his chest. So cute.

Thiisismegan , it does appear your puppy will remain black, but it helps to see a completely shaved face. She looks like a very sweet puppy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts